Debts: Living outside the EU

Gibblet
Gibblet Posts: 38 Forumite
edited 17 October 2014 at 11:39AM in Debt-free wannabe
Hey there,

I know I'm the wrong and bad person in this so please, don't berate me too much.

I have debts in Gibraltar, they were going to be sold to a UK debt collector (I've never been resident there, so I don't understand their logic). They have emailed me recently and, rather worryingly, got friends that I have on Facebook to 'spy' on me and see where I am.

I no longer live in the EU or what I would call a civiliszed nation...I live in an extremely poor nation in the Middle East that is currently a war zone. Can they chase me here?
:j Time to start saving for the future! :j

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    There is a system for enforcing / collecting debts cross border within the EU but nothing outside. If they can trace you there is no reason why they could not employ local collectors but it may not be worth the effort.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Might get your hands chopped off.
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Have you thought about repaying the money you borrowed or are you going on the run forever?
    If the Middle Eastern debt collectors get hold of you, you best have a clean orange jumpsuit ready
  • Hopefully, Britain won't be in the EU much longer either.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Gibblet
    Gibblet Posts: 38 Forumite
    In my last email to them I said:
    I am outside your legal jurisdiction in terms of Gibraltarian, British and European law but, more importantly, my wage is $500 per month as I'm working for a Non-Governmental organisation.

If you can think of a constructive plan then I will be happy to explore that possibility with you.

Their response was:
    We both know you have no intentions of paying, so please do not write anymore emails to us.

Firstly, I find it odd that they just assume that but then they request no more emails to be sent?...It's just weird.

For clarity, I am not on the run. This is a previous rental contract for which I gave notice but was in a contract with two others who have subsequently left.
    :j Time to start saving for the future! :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Doubt they would look for you in a war zone somehow :idea:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure