Couch to 5k Running - Part Four Beginners Running

Options

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 July 2014 at 1:05PM
    Options
    The idea is to just get out there, dont worry about what you look like. Plenty of car drivers will be wishing that they can run.

I could show you a picture, a picture of a man...a mean wearing short running shorts, a runnning vest, compression socks to below the knees and a headband to stop the sweat...

Whilst this man was "not very cool", he set a new half marathon PB (13.1miles).

So..image is not everything, you dont need the best Karrimor Running Kit from SportsDirect. You dont need colour coded matching top/bottoms and trainers, just get out there and run...

Once upon a time, i started the C25k package, and still go back to basics for the Weekly 5km ParkRun..

Keep it up..

AO

Ps - Try to avoid wearing over priced Karrimor.

Instead some hints.. (some..not all are listed)

Shoes/Trainers

Salomon, 1000mile, Ascis, Salcony, Inov-8,

Clothing

Ronhill, Nike Dri-Fit etc

Shops

Wiggle / SportsShoes /eBay
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Feeling really demotivated today. Couldn't sleep last night and decided at 2am in the morning I wasn't going to go out but when my alarm went off at 5am I knew I wasn't going to get back to sleep so I went out even though I was so exhausted and then I kept getting a pain in my right shin to the point about half way I gave up and walked back so Day '2' failed.

Think I will see about getting myself a proper pair trainers rather then my converses and see if that helps. It may of been just a mix of not being used to it though and my body being pushed over the limit due to lack of sleep....

I am green with envy at my partner he just puts his head on the pillow and he is asleep...I just can't seem to switch off.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Kayalana99
    edited 3 July 2014 at 11:36AM
    Options

I'll have a look at the shoes you posted but I didn't think these were half bad for the price? And the only bad review I have found is someone saying that they bought them for indoor use but ended up slipping around... not a problem I should have though. ( I have looked at other sites reviews as well)

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-duma-ladies-running-shoes-214074?colcode=21407490#customerreviews
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Dunno where you're shopping; but I've not found them to be overpriced? I have a few t-shirts made by them, which have cost me something like £5 each.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • fufu_banterwaite
    fufu_banterwaite Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    Dunno where you're shopping; but I've not found them to be overpriced? I have a few t-shirts made by them, which have cost me something like £5 each.

I agree Karrimor is very cheap and I think pretty good value for money if you are just buying shorts, t-shirts, etc.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree Karrimor is very cheap and I think pretty good value for money if you are just buying shorts, t-shirts, etc.

Yeah. Their socks are meant to be decent too. But I've been advised not to buy their shoes and just stick with Addidas, Nike, Brooks, New Balance, etc.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • getcarter
    getcarter Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got a friend who said she will come and check I'm running properly. My back problems were caused by bad posture so don't want to aggravate anything since I'm doing so well.
  • Kayalana99
    Options
    Well I'm not giving up just yet but I am planing on starting from week 1 again from Tuesday, hoping to get my trainers sorted over the weekend and have an exam Monday so don't think getting up at 545am is a good idea saying that I'll probs have to be up soon after that anyway.

Will be back to update Tuesday :-)
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Done day 2 today in the rain. loved it though
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Kayalana99
    Options
    Not giving up yet!! I am going to start over but I'm waiting for the car to get fixed. I can't keep getting up at stupid o clock in the morning (because OH is walking to work and getting up earlier I need to be back earlier)

I went for my exam on Monday and I left early without checking over everything as I just felt so tired and ill and my feet have been aching so I decided I needed a few more rest days.

I will most likey go out tomorrow as OH is off work anyway :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure