PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

do you find it cheaper to buy groceries 'as you need them'?

Comments

• splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    keza wrote: »
    yes sorry I described that wrong there :o I'm already a mum of a toddler who works full time and studies so I am the busiest of busy let alone when baby comes along. i think i meant more to go for a walk to the shops with baby to get out rather than being indoors all day :)
    That's some toddler you have there:rotfl:.

I shop once a week. I don't like shopping and if I had to go every day I would just cry or order takeaway.

I plan what I want for the week, then cook and freeze as much as I can in one session, so meals can be cobbled together very quickly.
    I don't love cooking, or cleaning up, so the most efficient and [STRIKE]laziest [/STRIKE]easiest methods suits me best.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Purplesky_2
    Purplesky_2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 29 March 2015 at 12:25AM
    I found going to the local market allowed better purchasing, cheaper cuts, good establishing relationships and the chance for genuine adult-to-adult human interaction.
    It's often a place well served by public transport in the centre of towns and cities.
    2/3 times a week was great!
    And a reduced risk of buying crap!

We also bulk buy toilet paper/kitchen paper/tissues/stock cubes/tinned tomatoes/ tinned beans etc from a warehouse place. Saves us an enormous amount of money.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    115K wrote: »
    If I lived near to a Whole Foods I'm sure I would spend a fortune on food.

Its one of the things I find SOOOOO annoying about Whole Foods is that they seem to want to cultivate this aura of being massively expensive. For sure there are things which are crazy expensive like a litre of fresh orange juice for £8 or the eye wateringly expensive buffet at nearly £20/kg but a lot of the basics are the same price as you'd find in a supermarket. I think I'm correct in saying that organic milk is actually cheaper for instance. As a general rule stay away from anything that could be considered as convenience food and you won't go too far wrong.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    WOW!

You're really organised and it sounds like you buy some really good stuff. :T

I think its more down to getting into a routine. Good food has always been an important part of my life. Yes, you can pour a £2.10 jar of Loyd Grossman's Tikka Masala Sauce over some chicken when you want a curry BUT you could also toast a few pennies worth of spices in a frying pan make a curry paste and have something that'll be blow your socks off good in just a short a time as using the so called convenient yet bland pre-made stuff. The money I save goes towards poulet fermier.
  • mummyroysof3
    mummyroysof3 Posts: 4,566 Forumite
    I hate shopping. I have a list and I have a tesco delivery every Friday but check if certain items are on a better offer at asda and pop there aswell if I need to. I do spend more than I would like but we are all quite fussy so that doesn't help. There are 5 of us and I aim for £120 a week including pet food but I bulk buy nappie for youngest on top of that
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    keza wrote: »
    yes sorry I described that wrong there :o I'm already a mum of a toddler who works full time and studies so I am the busiest of busy let alone when baby comes along. i think i meant more to go for a walk to the shops with baby to get out rather than being indoors all day :)

I guessed that was what you were thinking. As others have said, it depends how disciplined you are with yourself and which shops you're near when you go for your walk. I do a weekly shop in Aldi but there are still things I know are good value elsewhere. So if I'm near the local shops for manicure /library or whatever I'll go into Farmfoods or Iceland or Sainsbury's or Waitrose and buy ONLY the items that are better value than Aldi or can't get them elsewhere.

You do realise it's Aldi don't you?

Thanks so much for bringing that up. I'm glad it's not just me that's bemused by the weird and wonderful spellings you see on here. I'm not sure whether it's a literacy issue or whether people really do have nicknames for supermarkets. :rotfl:
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    If you have the time, shopping daily can help as the produce will be at its most fresh and any time related bargains can be seen. As long as you have the flexibility to arrange meals round these offerings, quite a bit of cash can be saved over time.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I always meal plan but do look out for reduced bargains.

On my menu for tonight was tuna risotto to use up some of the massive value bag of red & green peppers I bought for for 30p and then Gorgonzola pasta tomorrow to use up the rest of the crème fraiche that I bought to add to the goulash I slow cooked on Sunday (again to use up the peppers).

But.....yesterday I bought some new potatoes in garlic butter from Mr T (10p instead of £1) and some carrot batons (10p instead of £1) so my menu for tonight is chicken breasts (hurriedly yanked out of the freezer this morning) in Gorganzola sauce with the potatoes and carrots (plus some green beans that I froze last week) and tuna risotto for tomorrow with the addition of half a large red onion (bought for 20p for 3) plus some of the spring onions I bought for 5p and the rest of the spring onions will go into tuna & mayo for jacket potato fillings at the weekend.

I feel quite exhausted after working all that out. :rotfl:
  • Weirdly, I spend less if I shop "as and when" than I did when I used to do a big shop online.

When I did the big shop, I set a budget of (say) £100 and so I would spend £100. I'd add more to the trolley until it reached the total. There was things that would keep, so they weren't wasted, but I found that things would be hanging around in the cupboard for a long time.

Now I make an approximate meal plan and list of staples and shop as they need to be topped up. This way, some months I come in way under budget because I'm not trying to spend the total amount
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    I spend far less by shopping as and when instead of weekly. Next to no waste, and using the little local shops and markets keeps me away from the big supermarkets with all their temptations. It also forces me to cook from scratch because they don't sell ready meals.
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills