PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Zero Waste Week - tell us your best upcycling and re-use tips

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I think you might have just revolutionised my life. I think even I could manage that.

(mind you, when I went to iron something when my DD was about 7 years old she said "What's THAT?" pointing to the iron <sigh>. That's what body heat is for, right?!)

So glad you have given one of your favourite shirts a new lease of life - that's fantastic! :T Thanks for sharing your story. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and experience.
    :D Glad to be of service. You will wonder how you ever lived in a pre-fusible interfacing world.

A small word of caution, tho. When you are ready to iron, be sure to hold the interfacing up to the light. One side will be matte, the other side a bit shiny. The shiny bit is the adhesive. Get the iron on that side instead of the back and you will have a lovely sticky mess on the sole plate. And yes, I have done that a few times over the years.;)

I bought the shirt in a charity shop for 50p early in 2013 and it as been in constant use ever since, picking up a few compliments on the way. To say I was stricken by it's injury was an understatement, lol. Thank gawd for fusible interfacing, the mender's best friend.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It is me!

<whispers> But who are *you*? :p

I can't PM you! You won't remember me anyway :D I nominated you for a blog award and you broke the rules by only nominating seven people instead of ten :p:D

I'll shut up now and stop taking the thread off topic :o
    Bulletproof
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    After peeling potatoes the other day I brushed the skins with oil (both sides), placed them on a rack, added salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and placed in the oven until crisp. Saved throwing them out and the kids enjoyed them with a salsa dip :)
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,652
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We had a stern letter from our local authority a while back, because we don't usually put out our brown food waste bin. I couldn't resist writing back to tell them that we don't have waste food... we have chickens! Also, two composters and a Green Cone digester, which has an inverted wire cone underneath to keep vermin out, so you can even put bones into it. (After boiling then up for stock, of course.) So even the bits that can't go into the birds (cooked up into a "mash", obviously) or the compost heap can go into the digester to feed next year's apple crop.

Mind you, with anything from 6 - 8 people in the house most of the time, there's not a lot of food left to go to waste anyway; it's mostly just peelings, stalks & bones. Friends & family call me the Leftover Queen, as I can (and quite often have to, at short notice) feed a small army on scraps from the fridge & whatever's in the cupboards.

I run a business basically renovating or re-making & selling on things that other people didn't want. I can't lay claim to zero waste but I know we throw out about half what other households locally do, with twice as many inhabitants. So will try to join in with Zero Waste Week, one way or another!
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £486.13/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    A tee light holder made from an aluminium drinks can.
    teelight004.jpg
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Ilona
    A bag made out of knitted video tape and fabric scraps.
    pinkbag007.jpg
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    A bag made out of juice cartons and crochet.
    drinksbag007.jpg
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    Pen holders made out of tin cans covered in fabric with embellishments.
    tincans002.jpg
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    Old net curtains used to cover vegetables in raised beds
    nets014.jpg
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    edited 22 August 2014 at 11:08PM
    Shopping bag made out of an old gazebo roof. Not strictly my rubbish but found in a skip. I made ten shopping bags out of it.
    home001.jpg
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business