PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1Tonsil wrote: »
    If this site had a like button I would have pressed it a thousand times to like what you said :T:T:T:T
    That is exactly what has been going on! Summed up to perfection:beer:

I suspect Syriza have been very busy having private meetings with everyone while the other parties have been muck flinging.... I know that Syriza has met the new leaders of other countries like Spain and formed an alliance with them.

Yesterday in a Greek interview the leader of Syriza was asked what his first move would be. His answer was that he would disarm the riot police so they could not kill or maim anyone else. ...

He was also asked where he could get the money to invest in business and to boost the pensions which were cut to less than four hundred euros a month. I suspect he plans to bring the bankers to rights and take back the money stolen by the old time politicians and salted away in villas, yachts and bank accounts in Switzerland and the UK. Time will tell but he had a very knowing look on his face when he smiled at the camera.

It is surprisingly quiet in the village at the moment, but that may change as the day goes on. The voting ends at 7 pm our time tonight. I have no doubt if he wins there will be fireworks and shotguns.....both literally and figuratively....:rotfl: There is a very nice feeling of change in the air, and dare I say it, the first optimism I have felt for about six years....

We have only a small amount left in euros in the Greek bank. Most of our pounds are in our Uk bank out of the way of anything that might happen to local banks here. We are well stocked up with food and fuel. I doubt very much if there will be civil unrest here in Corfu, maybe in the cities if the election result is fiddled......oops...did I just say that aloud ???:rotfl:

Meanwhile the weather continues to be a pain in the neck, lovely sunshine earlier, then it went very cold, then we got headache when it went stormy......and now its changing again..... what have they done to the weather...:eek:

Just a thought 1T, not wanting to alarm you regarding those pounds:

Presumably the oligarchs who have asset stripped Greece will also have converted some of their ill gotten gains to pounds.

I can't think how, but is it possible that your stash in the UK may
    fall foul of Syriza's confiscatory intentions?
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    Just a thought 1T, not wanting to alarm you regarding those pounds:

Presumably the oligarchs who have asset stripped Greece will also have converted some of their ill gotten gains to pounds.

I can't think how, but is it possible that your stash in the UK may
    fall foul of Syriza's confiscatory intentions?

It might all depend on circumstances. If 1T has dual citizenship it will be much easier to prove that she he valid reasons for her UK bank holdings. It would also be even easier if her name is not on the Lagarde list of egregious Greek tax dodgers. I suspect that the only ones being targeted will be those known tax dodgers. It might also apply to any high end Greek Porsche or Mercedes owners who somehow have not declared an income commensurate with their lifestyle. This would probably hit doctors and company directors more than anyone else. I do not think that 1T comes into that category.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Margaret54
    Options
    hi everyone :) much milder here today and dry. I even had some washing out believe it or not :) oh roll on the spring....... Oh Mardatha I did have a laugh when I read about your cat and the hwb box :) pets are so funny aren't they? Yes Lyn lovely memories. I hope your dh is having a lovely birthday and that you all have a great family weekend together too.xx Margaret
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    About 20 years ago I cut my hand and went to see the doctor expecting to get it stitched. He applied these little adhesive strips to stick the sides of the cut together:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Steri-Strip-Reinforced-Skin-Closures/dp/B00427G7D6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421858355&sr=8-4&keywords=3m+steri-strip

I recommend them. These are very pricey to buy at the chemist, so I just bought 50 packs from Amazon. Will be putting some in both my first aid kits.
  • 1Tonsil
    1Tonsil Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LOL I am pleased to say I am not on any tax dodgers list, in fact, at the moment, owe no taxes at all...this may change of course, with the new government....:D I have no objection to paying taxes here or anywhere else if they are fair taxes .

I am a British citizen and I have no intention of being otherwise. I am also a European, something many folks seem to forget. My savings in the Uk are as safe as possible. I do pay tax on worldwide income though. I have spent the majority of my euros as I think the euro may devalue even more in the coming months and I dont want too much of my money in it at the moment. Most has gone on bills , food and fuel to make sure we have survival stocks in.

Counting has just begun but the exit polls seem to show that Syriza have won by quite a majority over the New Democracy. It seems the tide may have changed. There are interesting developments going on all the time so the next few months could be interesting indeed. I am looking forward to seeing Angela Merkels expression when the results are finalised. Syriza was quoted as saying he will never be in a rush to sit next to her in a meeting......:rotfl:
  • Frugalsod
    Options
    Re cats in a box.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmeowmie.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F03%2Fleopard-in-box.jpg&f=1
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    LOL!! cats will be cats, seemingly lol
  • Ryanna2599
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    About 20 years ago I cut my hand and went to see the doctor expecting to get it stitched. He applied these little adhesive strips to stick the sides of the cut together:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Steri-Strip-Reinforced-Skin-Closures/dp/B00427G7D6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421858355&sr=8-4&keywords=3m+steri-strip

I recommend them. These are very pricey to buy at the chemist, so I just bought 50 packs from Amazon. Will be putting some in both my first aid kits.

I also have some of these strips in my First Aid box; they're fantastic! In fact the doctor at our local A&E used them on my DS when he cut his eyebrow. We were told to keep them on for 5-7 days and that was manageable even for a toddler...
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done to the Greek people, demos at work.

Though it throws into light the pathetic response of the Left in this country to our 1st inequality promotion 5 year plan.
  • Frugalsod
    Options
    armyknife wrote: »
    Well done to the Greek people, demos at work.

Though it throws into light the pathetic response of the Left in this country to our 1st inequality promotion 5 year plan.
    Problem is that New Labour is not really a left wing party any more. That space is now occupied by the Liberals as Labour leapfrogged the Liberals and joined the Conservatives near the right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure