NST - Amazing Aperire

Options

Comments

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Another NSD for me today, so up to 13.
    The kids refused to leave the house after me 'dragging them around Ireland' - meaning no computers for ten days - and now they just want to chill, so I let them (bad me!) and got on with the laundry and painting skirting boards in the yard while they were all occupied. They are back at school on Monday, so as long as they tidy their rooms and bring down their laundry, and I can hoover without fear of loss of life or limb, then they have the next few days to chill. But they all have Easter money from the elderly relatives so I wonder when the request for a trip to town will come. Probably as soon as DH goes away for the weekend with his friends.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Jo_Blogs
    Jo_Blogs Posts: 753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Good morning everyone :)

Great posts as always :p and great going with all the NSDs :);)

Today will be NSD No.18 for me today :)

Wishing you all a super AADay! :);)
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44:starmod: for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 ;)Sept NSDs 4/15:staradminCCCChl 9/12 months:D
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning Turtles

Just popping in to say hello, have not been spending time on the forum this month. Have had to put all my time into looking for leads for my business, it's scary how much time you can spend on here! The whole gazelle focus did help but currently going through a slump in terms of actually booking work in the past week, although enquiries are strong. So I'm skint at the moment.

But wanted to say hi and will attempt to read up on this month's challenge soon.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella
    Options
    I had to forego picking up a shiny penny today - I was cycling uphill on a rather busy road and just couldn't stop. Boo!

Anyhow, today I am grateful for my legs getting me to and from work (c. 12 miles and not flat), for a lovely hot bath when I arrived home, for a sunny day, for catching up with some friends, for tea from the freezer, for fresh bedding, for dd passing her recent maths test and moving up a level to silver, for having time to whizz up some cakes for dd, for a pretty notebook being a pleasure to use, for the home saying that theybwould be keeping mum there - mega phew.

That happens to me all the time. Or when I'm pushing the pram and feel I'd look a complete nutter flipping the brake on to nab a penny:rotfl:

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2017 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Good morning,

the cherry blossoms and flowers are out but today was the first time it felt and smelt like spring, love it.

My washing machine arrived this morning (luckily before work, so I can still have a lunch time swim as I wasn't in late) and I'm strangely excited to try it out tonight.

Also the replacement lock for my grandfather's cabinet arrived, so will fix that tonight. If you have any spare cabinet locks lying about (antique, working or not) you can make a fortune on ebay.

Another NSD today and healthy lunch. Put together an ASDA pick up order to match the money left in my account and to avoid temptations going into the shop on a Friday night. This shop should last at least till pay day.

All my seeds have taken now and I'll pot some of them up this weekend but the ones that go out will wait till next week. My potatoes are finally emerging too. They were earlies but I put them in the ground way to early and I thought the froze to death.

Have a nice day
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glad that things are working our for you with your Mum, Apple
    Hope things pick up at work, Bob, and it's just a temporary slump.
    Didn't do as much cleaning in the house as I had intended yesterday but spent a lot of time on myself. Had a lovely long bath and pampered myself with all the lotions and potions, Had a look at my wardrobe and decided that I really need to buy some clothes. Nothing expensive, just some tops to brighten things up. Haven't had anything new for ages (really a long, long time) so this is part of my mission to rebuild my confidence. Feel a bit guilty what with spending money getting my hair done next week but I think it will be worth it and I don't really spend anything on myself usually.
    Looking a bit dull here so think I'll get the walk in before the rain comes.
    Have a lovely day.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • thriftylass
    edited 20 April 2017 at 11:21AM
    Options
    Saw this program yesterday on how to live mortgage free with Sarah Beeney. DH watched bits of it too and was impressed how one couple paid off their 200k London mortgage in 8 years while having young kids. Not sure how they did it on a salary less then ours (unless they didn't have childcare). Obviously they lived an a lot more restricted life than us. Nevertheless it motivated me to start overpaying the mortgage while still being able to pay back other debt and save. I'll start with £50 a month in May. Even just that could save us a year and 4 months and 2k in interest over the term of 16 years. Hopefully I can up that to 100 or 200 next year (will double check overpayment restrictions).
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Saw this program yesterday on how to live mortgage free with Sarah Beeney. DH watched bits of it too and was impressed how one couple paid off their 200k London mortgage in 8 years while having young kids. Not sure how they did it on a salary less then ours (unless they didn't have childcare). Obviously they lived an a lot more restricted life than us. Nevertheless it motivated me to start overpaying the mortgage while still being able to pay back other debt and save. I'll start with £50 a month in May. Even just that could save us a year and 4 months and 2k in interest over the term of 16 years. Hopefully I can up that to 100 or 200 next year (will double check overpayment restrictions).

We didn't live a totally restricted life, but obviously did cut back when paying ours off. We had an OP built into our DD, so it went out the day after payday and we then didn't miss it (even when OH was out of work we OP'd a tiny bit - I rounded the mtge figure up from 594.71 to £600 - so our OP was only £5.29, but it helped psychologically to know that we were still paying *something*. I also threw all 'extra' money into the the as OPs - so any money from cashback, eb@y, nearly new sales, surveys etc all went in - again, I rounded them up (so £8.22 cashback became an OP of £10, for example) Mycurrent account also tidies money over into savings from debit card transactions - if a debit card transaction is £2.92 it tidies 8p etc. At the end of the month all of these pennies came to usually just under £10 - so I'd round that up and pay £10 off :) All of those little bits really do add up over the course of a year :)

We're now paying off the BTL mtge - stupidly taken out on IO and then ignored for 3/4 of the term... :o We're doing it at a slower rate, though. Our finances took another hit when OH didn't have a contract for 11.5months, but once we've recovered we will plough some more in there too. Not 100% convinced we'll pay it off in full by the end of the term, but if we don't give it a try we certainly won't ;)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • thriftylass
    edited 20 April 2017 at 1:41PM
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    We didn't live a totally restricted life, but obviously did cut back when paying ours off.

That sounds sensible. I think the family on the telly "only" earned £55k a year (before tax, so maybe 40k after?) but paid of over £2k a month or £25k a year (probably more with interest). Only leaving them with maybe 1300 a month for 4 for everything else from childcare, insurance, electricity, transport, food, school clothes etc etc. (which might work if you don't have to pay back other debt or save for anything I guess).
    They even weight out the rice they cooked etc. (not that I'm wasting mine but sounded like food rationing) Not sure how they kept that up for 8 years with two kids and in London. Sheer determination and being on the same page I guess.

So, yes it's mind set and cutting back here and there and being aware of every spare penny that could go towards it. But I think my husband would leave me if I suggested we now cycle everywhere, don't drink at all and he has to buy his clothes in Tesco (which I quite happily do). Although, I'm sure he's open to certain changes. We also couldn't stop visiting my parents in Germany once a year etc. etc. etc. But it gave me another we nudge/motivation/food for thought....
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Glad that things are working our for you with your Mum, Apple
    Hope things pick up at work, Bob, and it's just a temporary slump.
    Didn't do as much cleaning in the house as I had intended yesterday but spent a lot of time on myself. Had a lovely long bath and pampered myself with all the lotions and potions, Had a look at my wardrobe and decided that I really need to buy some clothes. Nothing expensive, just some tops to brighten things up. Haven't had anything new for ages (really a long, long time) so this is part of my mission to rebuild my confidence. Feel a bit guilty what with spending money getting my hair done next week but I think it will be worth it and I don't really spend anything on myself usually.
    Looking a bit dull here so think I'll get the walk in before the rain comes.
    Have a lovely day.

I understand that sentiment only too well. My wardrobe is dire. I always find something else that needs spending on first. This month DS has had £40 spent on shoes as he needed two pairs. Had to top up my accountants bill from our funds too to the tune of £95. Plus keeping on top of the food bill whilst DS has been off. It's been an expensive month. Trouble is once you let your wardrobe go so far it costs so much to actually restart it. I live in running tights and jersey tops and the same pair of trainers day in day out. I will one day spoil myself again. I hope you let the guilt go too.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport