permitted development in a conservation area

Trying to get an idea of what is allowed/not allowed.

Contemplating a single story extension at the back that will not go beyond the rear most or side of the house.

Looking on the web, all I can see is that rules are different in a CA and will have to discuss with the council.

Any advice on this? As far as I can tell the council does not engage in any advice without a fee.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    A simple " do I need planning permission or is it permitted development " does not cost
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Any meeting is likely to cost, but that ought to be money well-spent, if pointers are given to what would appear most acceptable/not acceptable before you get down to any design specifics.

I don't think anyone is going to commit themselves via a phone call.
  • It's unlikely there is any permitted development in a CA. I'm in a town preservation area and no PD applies.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    It's unlikely there is any permitted development in a CA. I'm in a town preservation area and no PD applies.
    This is the answer. There are no permitted development rights within conservation areas.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    But that is not to say that planning permission would be refused - Have a chat with the local planning dept. and they might tell you what can do in line with local rules.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:53AM
    dj1471 wrote: »
    This is the answer. There are no permitted development rights within conservation areas.

So far as I am aware, there are, unless an Article 4 Direction exists:-

Article 4 Directions can be invoked by the planning authority to further prohibit the type of small alterations that would be usually allowed under Permitted Development rights even in a Conservation Area. These types of legislation specifically prohibit certain types of development and are specific to certain streets, parts of streets and even specific houses.

You can apply for a 'Certificate of Lawfulness' for things like single-storey rear extensions which would normally be permitted development to be on the safe side. Best to speak to your Planning Dept.
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 April 2017 at 5:58PM
    I'm in AONB and want to put up a conservatory.

Phoned local planning and they arranged a phone slot with a planning officer (free of charge), gave her all the relevent info, and was told we could use permitted development rights and there would be no problem but advised that we gain a Certificate of Lawfulness.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    tired_dad wrote: »
    Trying to get an idea of what is allowed/not allowed.

Contemplating a single story extension at the back that will not go beyond the rear most or side of the house.

Looking on the web, all I can see is that rules are different in a CA and will have to discuss with the council.

Any advice on this? As far as I can tell the council does not engage in any advice without a fee.

A rear extension may be permitted development in a conservation area but I'm confused by passage highlighted in red.How can a rear extension not go beyond "rear most" part of house? Is it a side return in which case it is classed as a side extension and will not be permitted development.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    teneighty wrote: »
    A rear extension may be permitted development in a conservation area but I'm confused by passage highlighted in red.How can a rear extension not go beyond "rear most" part of house? Is it a side return in which case it is classed as a side extension and will not be permitted development.

If it's an L shaped house and the extension fills in the L then it would not extend past the back or the side.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    If it's an L shaped house and the extension fills in the L then it would not extend past the back or the side.

Which makes it a side extension and therefore not PD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure