do you know you can buy gold bullion for £20 upwards from royal mint?

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It could always be worse, we could be described as 'sheeple' :D
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I wonder if they are now regretting handing the gold over to the police. (that's if they did actually hand over everything that they found!).
    After all, it's extremely unlikely that the true owners will ever be found so the bars will probably end up with either the UK or Kuwaiti government.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gold doesn't produce anything, it just looks at you
    Better than buying a car though i suppose, which is worse than unproductive on capital value
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If I want investment gold I still go to Chard rather than the Royal Mint who are very overpriced.
  • Carrieanne
    Carrieanne Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    If I want investment gold I still go to Chard rather than the Royal Mint who are very overpriced.

I agree that Royal Mint prices are extortionate, but Chards don't offer the best value. As examples, the cheapest krugerrands and britannias advertised on their site today is £1,120. At Goldline (Baird & Co) they're £1,076, and at Bullion by Post £1,088.
  • Carrieanne
    Carrieanne Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    you use that phrase as if it is saying something significant about credit-based money issued by sovereign governments. but everything is intrinsically worthless - i.e. it only has value because people value it.

presumably when this particular wild prediction doesn't pan out, you'll be along with another 1 ... :)

I have enormous faith in the Rothschild family's predictive qualities.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kdwood001 wrote: »
    The gold is protected by the ministry of defence and held securely in the royal mint in wales.

It costs £6.70 to cross the Bridge over Severn.
    Funny, only when you go West.
    I don't think they want you to see your coin. ;)
  • markj113
    markj113 Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2017 at 11:52AM
    Options
    Just grab some sovereigns from somewhere like Hatton Garden Metals or Atkinsons.

Also try to ignore the retards here that think if you purchase some gold that somehow equates to you to being an end of the world, zombie apocalypse prepper.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Options
    Carrieanne wrote: »
    I have enormous faith in the Rothschild family's predictive qualities.

you are confused.

(leaving aside that having faith in the abilities of a family, whose members of course have wildly varying abilities, doesn't quite make sense ...)

the rothschilds have made no prediction about the future of currencies and gold. they just owned a magazine in which some speculative article on that subject was published. they probably had no idea about the contents of the article. but if they did, then all they were predicting was that publishing articles like that was a good way to sell magazines, not that the predictions in the article would come to pass. all kinds of predictions are made in magazine and newspaper articles; a few are accurate, some are at least thought-provoking, most of them are complete rubbish. sensational articles tend to sell better than mundane articles.

look at what the rothschilds do with their money, not at what a magazine article (which doesn't represent their views) said. most of it is invested in businesses (such as that magazine), not in gold. if you want to grow your money, and can take a long view, that's probably what you should do with most of your money, too. though it is not always possible to take the long view, especially if you are less wealthy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure