Class 2 National Insurance

I'm being given contradictory info from two sources.

An accountant tells me that someone who pays Class 1 NI on their PAYE, should not be charged Class 2 NI on their self-employed income.

The HRMC says this is not true and that Class 2 NI is payable for self-employed people whatever other contributions they make.

I realize there is an option to reclaim NI on small self-employed incomes should one wish to exercise it - but that is not applicable in this instance.

Is my accountant friend right, out-of-date, or just plain crazy?

Comments

• WHA
    WHA Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Depends.

There is a maximum, so if you're already paying the maximum class 1, i.e. because your wages are over the ~£42k threshold, then no, you don't need to pay class 2 also. You apply for deferment and then the NIC office review your finances each year and send you a bill if you havn't paid the maximum.

Or, if your self employed profits are below the class 2 exemption threshold of ~£6k you can apply for exemption.

But if neither of these apply, then your accountant is talking rubbish.
  • Thanks for that.

The low income to the self-employed income doesn't apply.

The PAYE income is £32,000 - so below the £42,000. However, this is on a part-time contract (3.5 days a week). Does that make any difference?
  • purdyoaten
    purdyoaten Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    Thanks for that.

The low income to the self-employed income doesn't apply.

The PAYE income is £32,000 - so below the £42,000. However, this is on a part-time contract (3.5 days a week). Does that make any difference?

It does not.
    There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who do not. :doh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure