Alliance & Leicester (merged)

Comments

• LFCGUY
    LFCGUY Posts: 41 Forumite
    I have requested just over £1500 pounds in charges and interests. After my first 2 letters they brushed me off so I entered a claim on Moneyclaim, I then received an offer of £358 pounds which I returned, now I have received a solicitors letter informing me of their intention to defend the whole claim. What do I do now ?????:confused:

This is the stage i'm at with A+L, I took them to court for £1200 inc interest they offered my £180, I've returned it so this is what happens next is it? Then enter a defence to slow everything away down Grrr!!!!:mad:
  • i applied for my bank charges doing the all the right steps that is on this site . it is £280 charges they have charged me on my debit card but the reply i recieved of A&L today have said "that the OFT are actually reffering to late payment fees for credit card payments which are quite distinct from bank fees on current accounts" and they cannot agree to refund me.. now i lost my rag a bit and phoned the number on the letter and told them i am taking them to court but what should i do next and is it worth contiuning
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Take them to court - if you don't follow through they won't pay. If you want to see that money back it is worth continuing!
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • thanks beate i will take them all the way even though its hardly money i will retire on:rotfl: is the next stage of taking them to court on this site cheers again
  • take it as far as you must. i have just received back from the halifax bank £3,811.74 settled out of court even though they started with a low offer:
  • Sus1e
    Sus1e Posts: 235 Forumite
    I think that the A&L have admitted that £4.50 is an appropriate fee - it was on the news either this morning or yesterday.

Keep fighting
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member Number #1906
  • magpie1892
    magpie1892 Posts: 38 Forumite
    A&L have refused to pay up so iam taking them to court .they say their charges are correct and in line with their charging policy. iam claiming
    charges £1509.73 int £420.43 and court fee of £120.00 in total thats £2050.16.i initially asked them to settle it at £1500.00.:mad: :mad:
  • afield23
    afield23 Posts: 16 Forumite
    I have, after getting onto them, received a reply regarding my request for repayment of charges from Alliance & Leicester.

The letter says,

Dear Mr Field

Thank you for contacting us regarding fees which you feel were unfairly debited to your account.

While I understand your concerns, please be assured our fees are reasonable and competitive with those made by other financial organisations.

The Office of Fair Trading has commented that they consider the level of late payment fees to be unfair, however, they were actually referring to late payment fees for credit card payments, which are quite distinct from a bank's fees on current accounts.

Discussions are ongoing between banks and the OFT regarding current accounts and once the outcome is known, Alliance and Leicester will review its position as appropriate.

As well as making our customers aware of our fees when opening accoutns, we also continue to do so through our website, our branches, by telephone and on back of statements. In view of this, i do not feel that you have been unfairly charged and regret that i cannot agree to refund your fees.

If you would like to discuss any aspect of our response further, please contact me on the above number. I will keep your file open for 8 weeks and if i have not heard from you by then, i will consider the matter closed.

I have drafted my next letter threatening court proceedings, do i attach more copies of statements, or just list the charges i am claiming back? Is this a response hoping that i will give up hope?

Just some advice what to do next please!!

• Twinkly
    Twinkly Posts: 1,772 Forumite

Yikes !! An adjustment of font size would be my first suggestion. I had to go to the other side of the room away from the monitor to read this comfortably :p

Ok the next step is to send the letter before action (commonly referred to as the LBA) and list the charges plus interest that would now be reclaimable at court. Use the calculator in the main article to do this. Good luck :)
  • PhilR
    PhilR Posts: 19 Forumite
    does anyone know if i need to start reclaming proceedings twice, for each of these accounts? (well, once, for each)

they are both alliance & leicester, but are two different places for money, debit/credit accounts.

many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport