Great 'What discounts can I get when I'm disabled' Hunt

Comments

• choo_2
    choo_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Merlin's magic wand is a charity run by merlin's (company that run Alton towers, legoland, etc) that grant tickets and help with travel costs to those with a disabled child. I was recently awarded 5 tickets to legoland and £116 travel costs for my son.
  • 21Twinkle wrote: »
    *Most* of these discounts appear to be available to disabled people who live in London/SE - What about those of us who live out in the sticks (South West) ?

and scotland
  • [SIZE=+0]National Trust[/SIZE]
    (taken from the NT website)

Our admission policy admits the necessary companion, or carer, of a disabled visitor free of charge, on request, while the normal membership, or admission fee, applies to the disabled visitor.
    To save having to ‘request’ a companions free entry an 'Admit One' card can be issued. This card is made out in the name of the disabled person, not the companions, so there is not a restriction to taking the same person on each visit.
    To request an Admit One card, please e-mail the name and full postal address of the disabled person to the 01793 817634 or email accessforall@nationaltrust.org.uk for further details

[SIZE=+0]Information[/SIZE]
    The National Trust Access Guide 2010 (PDF / 4MB) provides more detailed information about the accessibility at our properties. Please note this is a large file and so may take some time to download.
    If you would like to order a hard copy of this book please contact the Access office at accessforall@nationaltrust.org.uk or call 01793 817634. Please quote ref no 7330909 for standard print, or 7331709 for large print.
  • adoreholidays
    adoreholidays Posts: 4,604
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have recenty bought 2 merlin entertainment passes for my Autistic son's. I recived a free transferable carers pass for both. Defenatly worth the money.
    I have these and managed to renew them this year for £75 at an attraction earlier in the year they are well worth the money sorry I had clicked on another link before this and mentioned this again on that link then came back carried on reading and noticed you had already posted
  • JayWalker
    JayWalker Posts: 110
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    It's true that many of the discounts only apply to the SE, but the principles are worth following. It helps if posters mention where they are, but the trick is to take proof of eligibility (copy of a DLA letter stating your entitlement, for example) and ask. If you're paying for a ticket at an attraction, ASK if there's a discount for disabled people, or if carers go in free.

Any discounts in your areas, SW and Scotland? Wales isn't as good as I'd like, but I can often get a discount just for asking - often by getting a pensioner's ticket if there isn't a specific disabled one. Smile when you do it!
  • Toll Bridges

All major toll bridges offer a disability discount- but all differ. Its worth checking in advance.

For excample, the Severn Bridge only requires the blue badge to be shown at the time of crossing and the Humber requires pre registration.
  • adoreholidays
    Forumite
    We originally lived in Hertfordshire and they had a database scheme that you filled in an application form called Hand this was to give them information so they could plan needs for people in the future not sure if it is child based they then issue you with a card that can be used and they gave you regular updates of info. We then moved to Bedfordshire and they do a similar scheme child with disabilities for the same purpose where you get a card and info about offers. So I think it is a national database and worth looking into if you do not already know
  • adoreholidays
    Forumite
    We also have a go-bowling fun club membership card that entitles our son and his family or friends to bowl for £1.75 at certain times although says not at weekends we did book a saturday and we got it at that price, maybe depends how busy they are.
  • Further to the Post about ticket discounts, most of the London Theatres (and some elsewhere) can provide a cheap ticket for the disabled person, plus either a free or discounted ticket for one companion / carer. But you have to phone the actual theatre Box Office, not one of the ticket agents, and it can be difficult to find the phone number. I usually go to the theatre's home page on the net and look for a Contact Us link or similar. I've found that these concessions are sometimes handled by their Marketing / P R people. As a "stroke survivor" I find this sort of concession most helpful - after all as many of you know being disabled brings so many extra costs, for example to get small jobs done which you perhaps used to be able to do yourself.
  • So do my Council-Greenwich Borough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport