£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• My washing up bowl is still not here. I know you're all on the edge of your seats about that so I thought I'd best keep you updated.

Dining room rearranging went well, the room feels about twice the size. Although was immediately halved by me filling it with airers as apparently it's going to rain tomorrow and i have a laundry mountain to defeat.

Nothing much to report in the way of MSE news... some new essential oils arrived today that I ordered last week, so I'll be making new scented candles at some point this week, probably on the weekend when DH takes the DCs camping.

to do today
    1. Feed sourdough. Already done!
    2. batch cook soup. Done. Have at least two full meals in the freezer at the minute as well as various frozen veg and stuff - aiming for a teeny weeny top up shop for the last week of the month.
    3. meet DS2's new teacher after school. Done, she seems lovely.
    4. sew DS1's new badge to his cub uniform. Whoops, not done. Must get it done before his meeting tomorrow.
    5. get ahead with regular work to free up time for fast turnaround stuff later this week. Not done amazingly, but a bit of progress.
    6. move dining room around. Done, very pleasing.
    7. Tidy my bedroom. Half done.

to do this week
    1. Order camping gear needed. Done - limited it to new self inflating mat for DH and I and a sleeping bag for DC3 (who never had one while in a cot, but will now she is out on a big bed). That's enough to see us through for now, but will need a single bed for DC3 at some stage (she can share the double bed with DH for the camping trip next weekend as I'm not going). Going to see if I can get through without buying any more equipment this summer, but who knows what will break on the first outing of the year.
    2. Continue with cleaning the house thoroughly one room at a time.
    3. Make strawberry jam with the big batch of strawberries in the freezer.
    4. Order walking boots for me, preferably on sale or with some cashback to take the sting out of it.

Aims for July:
    1. Pay some extra off the MBNA card - I'd like this card gone asap.
    2. Pay for camping holiday commitments out of self employed income rather than adding to debt.
    3. Stick to the budget even more closely than in June!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 July 2017 at 7:29AM
    A Washing Up Bowl? A real one? No designer tags or labels or logos? Go you!! :rotfl:

The badge needing sewn onto cub uniform made me smile - I remember when I was a girl guide you used to be able to use sewing on badges as part of your stuff towards your Sewing Badge - so Mum suggested I did that - which I did thinking it was a great way of getting another badge and that once I'd got it Mum would go back to sewing them on for me. No chance - once I got the badge she pointed out quite reasonably that clearly I was more than capable of continuing to do them myself! :rotfl:

Well done on limiting the camping equipment purchases too - I had to replace my old self inflating map at the start of this year too as the old one was literally deflating itself within a couple of hours. The new one is AMAZING!
    Love the image of your self inflating map. Took me a few moments visualising this map and wondering how, why... before I thought you might have meant map. Err mat.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Great news about MSE washing up bowl. When you are debt free I think you should treat yourself to a fancy designer one ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • My washing up bowl is still not here. I know you're all on the edge of your seats about that so I thought I'd best keep you updated.

I for one will not believe in the existence of this washing up bowl until I see it. I think it is a Cunning Ruse to buy time.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Week 22: Day 3

11th of the month and I still haven't had to tap any of the savings pots - the savings account still has the £270 in it that it should have. I am smashing my previous records! Maybe soon we'll actually start accumulating savings in practice rather than just in theory. :T

Enjoyed my yoga practice in my new dining room space - one of the reasons for moving things around was to give me an un-carpeted space to practice in. It's been on the things I've been hankering for around the whole extension process, and I suddenly realised I could actually make it happen now, so I'm pleased it's working out.

Tuesdays are always busy round here - I need to make dinner in the morning for this evening (pasties or similar picnic dinner) as we are dashing from club to club after school, and before I can do that I need to nip to the shop for pastry to make the pasties.

to do today
    1. bake sourdough.
    2. bake flapjacks for school snacks.
    3. make pasties
    4. finish tidying my bedroom.
    5. return a coat I ordered in the sale on a whim (from my actual clothes money pot!) - it's very nice, but not right. Quite a short returns period so need to sort it.
    6. Make a small overpayment on the MBNA card - I'd budgeted £50 and the minimum payment is only £39, so I need to pay the extra £11 manually.
    7. sew DS1's new badge to his cub uniform.
    8. Pack orders for smaller business.
    9. Continue rearranging all the stuff I've moved out of the dining room and making space for it - nothing like moving things around to make you realise what's useful and what is just clutter.

to do this week
    1. Order camping gear needed. Done - limited it to new self inflating mat for DH and I and a sleeping bag for DC3 (who never had one while in a cot, but will now she is out on a big bed). That's enough to see us through for now, but will need a single bed for DC3 at some stage (she can share the double bed with DH for the camping trip next weekend as I'm not going). Going to see if I can get through without buying any more equipment this summer, but who knows what will break on the first outing of the year.
    2. Continue with cleaning the house thoroughly one room at a time.
    3. Make strawberry jam with the big batch of strawberries in the freezer.
    4. Order walking boots for me, preferably on sale or with some cashback to take the sting out of it.

Aims for July:
    1. Pay some extra off the MBNA card - I'd like this card gone asap.
    2. Pay for camping holiday commitments out of self employed income rather than adding to debt.
    3. Stick to the budget even more closely than in June!
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tesco have inflatable single beds for £5 ( I know because I just bought one lessthan 12h ago to replace a perished one)
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    ^^ Was just coming to post that. Mr T had quite a lot half price yesterday instore x
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well done on your bargain purchase of washing up bowl! :beer:

Even better news is the fact you have not dibbed into any of your pots!! I am convinced that this is one of the best ways to budget and I use it myself as far as possible (until OH gets involved) :cool:

Loving the fact you have made space for your yoga as well. I started yoga a couple of months ago and am absolutely loving it! Im a member of a gym and do one or two classes a week but would love to do something at home to make it a more regular thing. Do you use online yoga classes? Youtube? Would be interested to hear which you are using as there are soooooooo many on there.....its baffling.
    Will have to buy myself a yoga mat though which Ive been thinking about anyway as the thought of how many people use the mats at the gym is a bit gross. :eek:
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • warby68 wrote: »
    Tesco have inflatable single beds for £5 ( I know because I just bought one lessthan 12h ago to replace a perished one)
    ^^ Was just coming to post that. Mr T had quite a lot half price yesterday instore x
    I have given up on airbeds after destroying one too many. I don't know what we do to them (we are careful!), but cheap or expensive they never seem to last more than one season of camping trips. We are giving self inflating mats a try and hopefully they'll last a little longer.
    Well done on your bargain purchase of washing up bowl! :beer:

Even better news is the fact you have not dibbed into any of your pots!! I am convinced that this is one of the best ways to budget and I use it myself as far as possible (until OH gets involved) :cool:

Loving the fact you have made space for your yoga as well. I started yoga a couple of months ago and am absolutely loving it! Im a member of a gym and do one or two classes a week but would love to do something at home to make it a more regular thing. Do you use online yoga classes? Youtube? Would be interested to hear which you are using as there are soooooooo many on there.....its baffling.
    Will have to buy myself a yoga mat though which Ive been thinking about anyway as the thought of how many people use the mats at the gym is a bit gross. :eek:
    I do ashtanga yoga, so a little different from many other forms (more dynamic and a strict routine), but because it requires absolutely no though process, no clever props or the ability to attend a regular class, it works well for me. I do a few Mysore sessions (self practice, but the teacher is there to support you) with my teacher every few months but other than that I practice at home six days a week. I like not having to think about what routine to do or to be able to avoid poses I don't like, as it's the same routine every day. I have a Manduka mat which is amazing quality and very robust, but this basic mat is a really good starter one if you don't want to spend loads on the Manduka yet.

whinge of the day
    I am having a being-poor-grump today. I really want to buy a load of clear stacking tupperware type boxes for the DCs lego after seeing how well a friend's set worked, but a good sized set (I reckon we need about 15) of half decent clip lid boxes will cost a minimum of £25. Which is a really small sum of money, but in order to find it I'll have to leave another pot short, and I don't have any pots that can go any shorter than they currently are. It's such a first world problem, but I find myself inordinately frustrated that I can't buy a fairly simple storage solution on a whim - instead I have to save up for a measly £25. It is irritating me disproportionately!
  • Thanks for the yoga mat link.........think thats what they use in the gym. Will have look on amazon for one which I will in effect get for free using my Swagbucks points...........something you could utilise to get free stuff like lego storage! ;)
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback