Living richly; simply and debt-freely

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2016 at 8:27AM
    Good Morning :hello:

wow! Such a lovely lot of visitors :D

Beanie & Upsidedown Bear - thank you. Sometimes we just need permission don't we? Otherwise we keep roomfuls of carp, 'because we spent money on it'.

greenbee - I said I was going to try hummus with them and I haven't - I WILL, and if I really don't like the result, well then they will definitely be edging towards the compost bin, but thank you, I'd forgotten I'd said about hummus. :D

rtandon - I've tried them in a couple of curries and Harira soup. I'm cooking them in a pressure cooker. Either I'm doing it wrong - perfectly feasible, or perhaps I've an ancient batch?

Cheery - yes they are dried. I like the rattle idea - THANK YOU :D

gally - I'll cook some up in the PC and have a go at hummus. If there happen to be some leftover, they may well get put in the oven with some oil and spices :whistle: G&T optional :D Thank you :D

Right, I've some kala chana to soak!

Back to normality today :(:D:(:cool: I'm definitely going to do some decluttering. It struck me last night that we are decluttering/tidying and within hours the house looks like a tip again! I did see a good sign when we were out the other day. It said, 'Please excuse our messy home, our children are busy building memories.' - which I thought was a rather good excuse to have up your sleeve! :rotfl:

I haven't done a meal-plan for this week either, so I had better get on with that too.

Looks like it might be another promising day. Although there was a touch of frost with us this morning - I'm sure more rural areas would have had it much colder.

Right, 15 minute bursts is the way forward, so off I go! :D

Thanks again for your suggestions. You're all correct, I've got to at least try to find a use for the chick peas, but if all else fails, I must let them go with grace, knowing that I tried to use them, but they just weren't for me.

Greying XX
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • rtandon - I must thank you for making me think and also making me act. You mentioned Food Banks. I used to support our local FB, but I sort of stopped due to being pregnant and also, I hadn't restarted supporting them, as when i last looked at their website, I was delighted to see that they have ramped up their cooking/money management and employment assistance schemes. But was dismayed that they no longer appeared to want food donations - only regular financial commitments.

Prompted by your mention. I took another look at their website - which has been significantly revamped - and have found that they still require food donations - their list of 'most in demand' items is back :D I shall endeavour to pop some items off that list around today :D

Thank you for making me think and look :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Good Evening :hello:

What a spiffing day :D

The cold morning gave way to bright sunshine and little or no breeze. Perfect pootling about weather :D

I went up the high street and got 6 cartons of S/S UHT milk - which cost £3. I took them straight round to the FB, along with something from Baby Greying's bobs & bits box, which was also on the list, so BG gave too :D

I soaked the kala chana for 8 hours and cooked them up in the PC for 9 minutes.

I still wasn't impressed..........

However.........

I put a few in the Lemony Spinach Hotpot that I had made for us tea (I put far more 'conventional' chickpeas in usually). Then I took a couple of handfuls of the cooked Kala chana and made 'ordinary' hummus. It took the juice of a whole lemon, but the resulting hummus is just about this side of tolerable. I will, therefore, make hummus with the remaining peas. It will also give me the opportunity to try flavoured hummus, such as beetroot or red pepper. Thank you for your input - especially greenbee for the hummus reminder. As a result the peas get a reprieve. But I ain't buying them again. Ever. :rotfl:

069_zpslyh9p91p.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the hotpot, as it was decidedly on the 1970's side and was a vision of green and brown..... in fact, it looked too much like some deposits in the field that we saw yesterday, near to a herd of cattle.......... :rotfl: I just need to tell myself that spinach is good for me, spinach is good for me, spinach.......

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

Lovely weather and a nice (but stretching) walk

Being made to think, question and challenge myself and my assumptions

Lemons
    ;)

Thanks for popping in, reading and prompting me. Greatly appreciated. Always.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Plenty of garlic :) ANd feed them to guests. Or BG :)

I LOVE spinach.
  • Good Morning :hello:
    greenbee wrote: »
    feed them to ...... BG :)

Greying thinks of the fibre _pale_ Greying looks at Baby Greying :love: Greying thinks of the fibre _pale_....... :rotfl::rotfl:
    greenbee wrote: »
    I LOVE spinach.

Me too, but the whole leaf stuff is apt to look like grass sometimes and in a brown context...................:rotfl:

Well, the morning is considerably warmer than of late, but we're missing the sun. Hope it pops along for a guest appearance soon :D

Tuesday is soup day on the menu planner and today's will be simple. I have the frozen, cut leeks that I bought from fArm f00ds and I have the last of the gifted wilja potatoes to use up - so Vichysoisse it is :D I also have some e!mlea cream fraiche that I got from h3ron at 3 for £1, so I'll stir some of that in too.

I didn't get around to sorting out the menu planner for the rest of the week, so I'd really better do that today.

Sorting and tidying will be done again, I managed to bag one measely item yesterday! Must do better!

Baby Greying is getting very fidgetty and is sporadically trying to join in the typing. I'm going to quit whilst I still have a post - to post!

Thanks for popping in, reading and joining in. Much appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Keep BG away from the dried apricots too ...
  • And sweet corn
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Good Evening :hello:

Baby Greying and I have had fabulous day. When women get together and support and encourage each other, there is nothing, I don't think, to compare it with. That is what BG and I benefitted from - and hopefully contributed to - today. Yesterday, we had the most unfortunate experience of being on the receiving end of a load of crap from a complete stranger who was female. What a contrast.

I nearly claimed a NSD today, but I did purchase a drink in the small business that hosted our gathering :D

I did manage to drop off a bag of stuff at a charity shop yesterday. Hasn't made a dint in the piles of 'stuff' left, but it's one less bag of stuff to gather dust and take up space. We had leek and potato soup for tea. It was eau de nil green in colour and tasted OK. I didn't take a pic.

The menu-planner on Wednesdays is 'summat and rice'. Today's was serendipitous, as I dropped on some YS'd mushrooms in mrW yesterday, so I thought mushroom stroganoff, which we've not had for yonks - possibly since before I was pregnant - would be a good candidate for inclusion :D I used my recipe out of The Vegetarian Student Cookbook, but that's not online anywhere, so I've linked to an exceedingly similar recipe HERE. I didn't have any fresh parsley to strew Nigella like over mine....... Picture here;

089_zpsg2cjaowx.jpg

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

people who do what they say they are going to do

support freely given

for children's books authors and illustrators - a whole new world :D

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in.

Appreciated.

Greatly.

By me.

Always.

Greying XX

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,709 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Aw, sounds like you might have found a few tribeswomen there Greying :D :j so pleased you've had a lovely day xx
  • Good Morning :hello:
    Aw, sounds like you might have found a few tribeswomen there Greying :D :j so pleased you've had a lovely day xx

Do you know Cheery, I think you are right. Funny how sometimes you join a 'special interest' group and although folk have one thing in common, you fail to find common ground on other issues. And then at other times, you get put together with a bunch of strangers, to attend some classes and you find that they are lovely, kind, funny, generous, supportive etc etc. Topped up my 'feelgood' batteries, no doubt :D

Today is dull and grey weatherwise :( But it isn't raining, so that is a plus!

Lots of sorting to continue on with. Baby Greying is currently NAPPING!!!!!!!!!!!! (a daytime rarity!) So I'm going to leap off here in a mo and whizz round like a whirling dervish and do 'stuff'! :D

Menu planner says 'buddha bowl'. Not thought about it too much yet, but have sufficient bits I think to concoct summat :D

Ta for popping in and reading. Mucho, mucho appreciated.

I'm outta here!

See y'all later.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure