E-on/ MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Sept 2015 - Stay or wait?

Options
Switched last year to the above collective switch, apparently the new collective switch is late september so by that time i'll have run out of time to switch.

Having just checked with E-on, to stay with them at their best tariff is gonna cost me a whopping £213 a year extra, so unless the MSE collective switch offers something better with E-on, i'll be leaving!

Should i chance my arm and wait to see what the collective switch deal is or take advantage of the current best deal and switch now to GB Energy, saving me £253 a year, no exit fees AND part of the warm home discount?

Thoughts please peeps

Comments

• Martin81162
    Options
    I'm with Eon and I'm a little confused by the numbers. According to the cheap energy club I should be paying £35 a month for my usage but I've actually paid £54 on average. That's not really a saving.

You don't have to sign another 12 month deal with Eon, you could just hold out until the new deal comes out and then switch.
    Martin
  • LiquidStool
    Options
    They have an annoying habit of adjusting the DD, I'd far rather pay a fixed amount that way when winter comes, i've built up a nice little surplus toward the winter bills.

Although not signing another contract (i'd technically have to check as i'd be moving to the standard tariff which could have exit fees) In the time it takes to switch, I'd already have paid about 60 more than necessary :-/
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    They have an annoying habit of adjusting the DD, I'd far rather pay a fixed amount that way when winter comes, i've built up a nice little surplus toward the winter bills.

Although not signing another contract (i'd technically have to check as i'd be moving to the standard tariff which could have exit fees) In the time it takes to switch, I'd already have paid about 60 more than necessary :-/

1. E.ON has never altered nor adjusted my Direct Debit. It’s happy with the amounts at which I set it, and then tweak it, periodically, to keep it appropriate to my usage.

2. When you are logged-into your E.ON account online, you can, within reason, set your Direct Debit to whatever figure you wish, using E.ON’s Direct Debit tool.

3. None of E.ON’s own tariffs, currently, have an Early Exit penalty.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there is some kind of "window" - 48/49 days before the fix ends and 20 days afterwards during which, so long as you inform Eon, they will keep you on your current tariff until you can next fix with whoever.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Switched last year to the above collective switch, apparently the new collective switch is late september so by that time i'll have run out of time to switch.

Having just checked with E-on, to stay with them at their best tariff is gonna cost me a whopping £213 a year extra, so unless the MSE collective switch offers something better with E-on, i'll be leaving!

Should i chance my arm and wait to see what the collective switch deal is or take advantage of the current best deal and switch now to GB Energy, saving me £253 a year, no exit fees AND part of the warm home discount?

Thoughts please peeps

Hello LiquidStool. Thought I'd let you know a bit about the Price Protection window. Will keep you off our standard tariff whilst a switch goes through.

Our MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Sept 15 tariff was on sale from 1 to 17 September 15. It depends when we actually started supplying but, I suspect, you're already in the window. It's open 49 calendar days before the tariff ends until 20 working days after. During this time and provided we're told, we'll keep you on the same prices as now whilst a change of supplier goes through. Exit fees also don't apply when in this window. If you decide to change supplier, there's no need to contact us. The new supplier will do this. Just make sure you start the switch within the window.

On the Monthly Direct Debits. We base these on current prices and past usage. A change to either can trigger a request to change the monthly payments. The aim is to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review. At this review, any credit balance over a fiver is automatically refunded.

To keep accounts on track, we review payments every quarter but will only make a change at the mid-term and annual points. At the other reviews, if necessary, we may recommend a change but leave it up to you to make any alterations.

As Sosumi says, if you've registered with our website, you can use the 'Direct Debit Manager' to tweak the arrangement to better suit different circumstances. With readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. Without readings, by up to 5 per cent up or down.

Hope this is of interest LiquidStool and sorry to lose you.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    I'm with Eon and I'm a little confused by the numbers. According to the cheap energy club I should be paying £35 a month for my usage but I've actually paid £54 on average. That's not really a saving.

You don't have to sign another 12 month deal with Eon, you could just hold out until the new deal comes out and then switch.

Afternoon Martin. Do you have a Monthly Direct Debit? If you do, hope my post above to LiquidStool helps.

Monthly payments are based on current prices and past usage. As I say, a change to either can trigger a request to alter the monthly payments to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the annual review. At this review, any credit balance over a fiver is automatically refunded.

Not sure what the £35 is based on but if things have changed - usage/prices - since this assessment, it may not be covering your ongoing usage. Guessing though. Best to make use of the 'Direct Debit Manager' Sosumi and I have spoken about. Pop in up to date readings and we'll let you know how you're doing.

Hope this is of interest Martin. Let me know if still not clear. Happy to help.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    Sosumi wrote: »
    1. E.ON has never altered nor adjusted my Direct Debit. It’s happy with the amounts at which I set it, and then tweak it, periodically, to keep it appropriate to my usage.

2. When you are logged-into your E.ON account online, you can, within reason, set your Direct Debit to whatever figure you wish, using E.ON’s Direct Debit tool.

3. None of E.ON’s own tariffs, currently, have an Early Exit penalty.

Glad you're finding our online tools useful Sosumi. The 'Direct Debit Manager' and 'Real Time Billing' (issue your own bills by popping in readings) are great ways to help keep on top of accounts.

We're looking to improve these and other online services in the coming months. I'm actually involved in testing the new developments over the next few weeks. Watch this space. :)

Malc
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there is some kind of "window" - 48/49 days before the fix ends and 20 days afterwards during which, so long as you inform Eon, they will keep you on your current tariff until you can next fix with whoever.

It's the Price Protection window Smodlet. As above, it's open 49 calendar days before a fixed tariff ends until 20 working days after. During this time and provided we're told, we'll keep customers on the same prices as their current deal whilst a change of supplier goes through. Exit fees also don't apply when in this window.

A customer changing supplier doesn't need to contact us. Provided they start the switch and their preferred supplier contacts us within this window, we'll make sure price protection is applied as above.

Hope this explains Smodlet.

Malc
  • LiquidStool
    Options
    Hello LiquidStool. Thought I'd let you know a bit about the Price Protection window. Will keep you off our standard tariff whilst a switch goes through.

Our MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Sept 15 tariff was on sale from 1 to 17 September 15. It depends when we actually started supplying but, I suspect, you're already in the window. It's open 49 calendar days before the tariff ends until 20 working days after. During this time and provided we're told, we'll keep you on the same prices as now whilst a change of supplier goes through. Exit fees also don't apply when in this window. If you decide to change supplier, there's no need to contact us. The new supplier will do this. Just make sure you start the switch within the window.

On the Monthly Direct Debits. We base these on current prices and past usage. A change to either can trigger a request to change the monthly payments. The aim is to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review. At this review, any credit balance over a fiver is automatically refunded.

To keep accounts on track, we review payments every quarter but will only make a change at the mid-term and annual points. At the other reviews, if necessary, we may recommend a change but leave it up to you to make any alterations.

As Sosumi says, if you've registered with our website, you can use the 'Direct Debit Manager' to tweak the arrangement to better suit different circumstances. With readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. Without readings, by up to 5 per cent up or down.

Hope this is of interest LiquidStool and sorry to lose you.

Malc

Hey Malc,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I was unaware of the direct debit manager :-/ I find it useful to just pay the same amount throughout the year, as i said, it limits the nasty surprise come the winter bill.

I'm well within the exit window for the tariff so at least i won't rack up exit fees.

You say that E-On will keep me on the same tariff whilst changing supplier, that's awesome - who do i tell and how?

I've been pleased with the tariff, so if it comes up trumps in the next collective switch, i'll be staying put :-)
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Glad you're finding our online tools useful Sosumi. The 'Direct Debit Manager' and 'Real Time Billing' (issue your own bills by popping in readings) are great ways to help keep on top of accounts.

We're looking to improve these and other online services in the coming months. I'm actually involved in testing the new developments over the next few weeks. Watch this space. :)

Malc

Please be careful how you " improve" your already very good services on line, remember the old saying, "If it ain't broke don't mend it!"

Before joining E-On over 1 year ago I was with the Co-Op energy they also decided to " improve " their systems the result was a complete disaster as many MSE can testify.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure