TV on Credit??????

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a TV from on credit without paying too much interest, i cannot get one from littlewoods, my ex partner made a big bill before he left me and it was in my name, Iv tried Freemans but they wont give me one, I do not want to get one from Brighthouse because the intrest is stupid! 29.9% or something!

Thanks

Comments

• Oscar
    Oscar Posts: 922 Forumite
    Freecycle...try and get it for free, dont take credit on anything if possible.
    :j
  • Im a single mammy though so cant afford to buy things outright so have to get dredit then get caught in the vicious cyle lol
  • thank you for letting me know about that website, its brill!
  • All major hight st electrical stores offer a range of credit, I think it will be about 25% on average though.

If you really need to buy it and need credit, the best chance would be getting a credit card and hopefully a period of the payment will be interest free, sometimes up to a year. This way you will also be able to overpay if you can afford it as well.

However, if you cant afford it please dont buy on credit its a spiral thats hard to get out off, try and save up a bit of money and buy second hand.

You can get a decent 28"widescreen off ebay for less than £30, i know i sold my Toshiba (which was working fine :o ) for £25 when i bought a plasma.
  • If you spend more than £195 in Argos you can apply for the "argos card" the purchase will be interest free if you pay off with in 6 months. So if you buy a TV for £200 you can pay £33 each month for 6 months without paying any extra. I suggest only applying for the Argos card if you intend to pay off the full amount within 6 months otherwise you will have to pay interest of about 27%apr

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/FSCard.htm
    "Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone, and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering"
  • Hi There!

We rent our television,at the minute we have a quite high spec (flat screen widescreen HD) type thingy! We pay about £25 a month. However, when we first married we did just have a basic tv and paid about half that. I know you won't own the TV but you can change at regular intervals and also they repair and replace all as part of your rent.
    Natalie
  • *manda*
    *manda* Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a TV from on credit without paying too much interest, i cannot get one from littlewoods, my ex partner made a big bill before he left me and it was in my name, Iv tried Freemans but they wont give me one, I do not want to get one from Brighthouse because the intrest is stupid! 29.9% or something!

Thanks

You'll probably find it difficult to get credit from most places if your credit rating has been affected by your partner. Also bear in mind each time you apply for credit whether through catalogues, argos or credit card companies it will be logged on your credit file and potentially held against you. At the end of the day you don't need a really fancy TV, as long as the kids can watch whatever they're into and have a loving mum they'll be happy= and there really are plenty of good quality working TV's available through freecycle or ebay type sites that'll tide you over until your circumstances change.
  • JasonLVC
    JasonLVC Posts: 16,762 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Most places have a co-op superstore and these always offer any eletrical items over £300 with interest free credit over 12 months and are usually a little more forgiving of people with credit hisotry (depending upon whether you're buying a £300 TV or a £3k plasma of course).

Argos is also a good deal with their card - but make sure you pay each month and all of it before the end or else!!!.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • Where in Cardiff are you?
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Natters30 wrote: »
    Hi There!

We rent our television,at the minute we have a quite high spec (flat screen widescreen HD) type thingy! We pay about £25 a month. However, when we first married we did just have a basic tv and paid about half that. I know you won't own the TV but you can change at regular intervals and also they repair and replace all as part of your rent.
    Natalie

Twenty Five quid a month!!!
    Bloody hell, even half that is expensive if you ask me! The last telly we bought new cost £90 and lasted ten years. £280 quid a year plus TV license and any sky/cable packages seems a lot to me. Freecycle is the way to go I reckon- lots of people ditch their telly after a couple of years to upgrade - and you are saving the environment too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure