Talkmobile PAYG closing down

Comments

• MKUserName
    MKUserName Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I consider this to be theft. Talkmobile have taken money for a service which they do not intend to supply. I only have £5.56 credit but this would last a long time as it's on my emergency simple phone. I use Three on my smartphone for everyday use.
    My husband just topped up his account and wouldn't have done so if he'd known it would get stolen in this way.
    I'm using MSE's Resolver tool. If enough people make a fuss we might get a result. Otherwise the balance will go to charity.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    MKUserName wrote: »
    I consider this to be theft. Talkmobile have taken money for a service which they do not intend to supply. I only have £5.56 credit but this would last a long time as it's on my emergency simple phone. I use Three on my smartphone for everyday use.
    My husband just topped up his account and wouldn't have done so if he'd known it would get stolen in this way.
    I'm using MSE's Resolver tool. If enough people make a fuss we might get a result. Otherwise the balance will go to charity.

Chocolate teapot springs to mind.
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Chocolate teapot springs to mind.

Agree. Raise a complaint, and escalate it to the ombudsman when they refuse to play ball. It's no morally better than theft or fraud.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    If anyone wants to get a locked phone unlocked, I had had my phone a little over a year and did live chat with TalkMobile a few months back asking them to unlock it so I could use a different data sim, they agreed readily, don't see how they can not agree to unlock a phone under these circumstances?

Whilst I do think that it is wrong to swallow the payments already made for PAYG phones, having read the first post it appears that for anyone transferring to Vodafone gets the first top up free, so it would be a good idea to take full advantage of that.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • I've just been promised that my information is being sent to the Refund Team who will send out a cheque for my £15 credit.

I'm not holding my breath though.

:undecided
  • wittynamegoeshere
    wittynamegoeshere Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 June 2017 at 11:33PM
    I've just joined this forum to share my good news...

We had two TalkMobile PAYG phones, and had £28 on one and £29 on the other. Both had recently been topped up with £30 before the announcement - we couldn't have timed it worse.

I contacted TM, was told no refunds.
    I contact the regulator, who said they wouldn't do anything until they get either a letter of deadlock from TM or 8 weeks after making my complaint if not.
    I contacted TM to ask for a deadlock letter, they said they don't do them.

I then made a chargeback claim with my bank for the topup payment. I claimed as "non delivery of goods", and carefully explained that I had £29 remaining of the £30 top up, so that was the amount I was claiming, not the full topup amount. I also stated that I would stop using the phone at the point the claim was made. I feel it's important to make it clear that you're not attempting to profit from this, only to take back the money that Vodafone were planning to steal. In my case, I just did this from my credit card's online banking - it took about ten minutes, then I had to print out a page, sign it and post it to them. So it cost all of one stamp.

The bank immediately credited my account with £30 then, after a couple of weeks, wrote to confirm that the claim had been settled in my favour and the £30 refund would remain with me. Presumably Vodafone either didn't get the opportunity to dispute it or decided that they wouldn't waste their time trying.

Chargeback claims can be made for credit and debit cards and there's no minimum claim amount.
    Get those chargeback claims in and show them what you think about them trying to steal their customers' money.

Seriously, paying a refund of remaining credit should be an absolute given in this situation, so they should have offered it to everyone. They haven't gone bust, so there's no excuse. They've taken the money to provide a service, and they've decided not to provide this service any more.

We switched our moderate use phone to 1p-mobile (1p/minute, minimum £10 topup every 4 months), and our very light use one to Three 3-2-1 (3p/minute, no credit expiry). As Vodafone's PAYG is an insane 30p/minute there's little or no sense in bothering with that, free credit or not.
  • ask66
    ask66 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just following on from the excellent advice given just now by wittynamegoeshere.

I was unhappy about my credit being removed while the company stayed in business, and not keen on Vodafone's extortionate PAYG rates. I emailed Talkmobile but received no reply, so copied the email to Nick Jeffery (a member of the Executive Team at Vodafone) at nick.jeffery@vodafone.com.

Maybe a coincidence, but I quickly received a phone call from Talkmobile offering to send a cheque for my remaining balance, plus £10 goodwill, plus my PAC to enable me to transfer my number. I asked for an email confirmation which arrived promptly.

The cheque followed after around 4 weeks, and today I transferred my number to O2's Classic Pay As You Go tariff - everything went smoothly. I've put £10 on the O2 account and all I have to do is ensure the phone is used to make a chargeable call once every 6 months to keep the service active.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    ask66 wrote: »
    I was unhappy about my credit being removed while the company stayed in business, and not keen on Vodafone's extortionate PAYG rates. I emailed Talkmobile but received no reply, so copied the email to Nick Jeffery (a member of the Executive Team at Vodafone) at [EMAIL="nick.jeffery@vodafone.com"]nick.jeffery@vodafone.com[/EMAIL].

Similar thing happened when I emailed 'the CEO' (or whatever escalation team(s) sit behind that email address) at Scottish Power; things actually started happening where previously there was just incompetence and delay.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I contacted TM to ask for a deadlock letter, they said they don't do them.

All networks
    will do deadlock letters, however you need to go through the formal complaints procedure first and a frontline CS advisor may not be trained about them (though it doesn't say much for the co concerned.)
  • I did go through their complaints "procedure" as detailed on their website and they stated that they don't issue deadlock letters.

They're a bunch of cowboys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport