Joining a union in a place with none

Options
Is there any point? I'm just starting a role where the pay is super crap but using it as experience. But after the first year, because of the amount required to do I'll be requesting a pay rise. I know it's currently about £6k under the going rate for the role but I just needed something urgently

Yes people say "Be thankful you have a job" and "You're choosing to take it despite knowing the crap pay" but I still feel its an attempt for the organisation to exploit whoever they get in the role. I thought joining a union would help to negotiate the pay at the end of the year, but reading up on it, it appears they can't unless over 50% of the work force are in a union. Is that correct? If so and if I'm the only member is there any point to join because of this? HR never mentioned any union when started, but assume HR never do.

I'm useless at arguing my point so having a union rep to explain what we do means we should actually be getting over the UK average for the role would be helpful. I'm assuming the company would just say "Get a job elsewhere then" I assume others here would say the same :) but its never that easy.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can join a union regardless of whether the workplace recognises them or not. They are not going to come in and help you negotiate a pay rise.
    But if you need advice, or end up in a disciplinary, then you may be glad to have someone on your side and the resources of a large organisation behind you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Speak with a trade union about using your issues as a potential for organising your workplace.

Re wages negotiation, the TU needs recognition for collective bargaining and a bargaining unit.

The process is found https://www.gov.uk/guidance/trade-union-recognition-how-to-apply-to-the-cac

https://www.gov.uk/working-with-trade-unions/collective-bargaining
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    joeypesci wrote: »
    Is there any point? I'm just starting a role where the pay is super crap but using it as experience. But after the first year, because of the amount required to do I'll be requesting a pay rise. I know it's currently about £6k under the going rate for the role but I just needed something urgently

Yes people say "Be thankful you have a job" and "You're choosing to take it despite knowing the crap pay" but I still feel its an attempt for the organisation to exploit whoever they get in the role. I thought joining a union would help to negotiate the pay at the end of the year, but reading up on it, it appears they can't unless over 50% of the work force are in a union. Is that correct? If so and if I'm the only member is there any point to join because of this? HR never mentioned any union when started, but assume HR never do.

I'm useless at arguing my point so having a union rep to explain what we do means we should actually be getting over the UK average for the role would be helpful. I'm assuming the company would just say "Get a job elsewhere then" I assume others here would say the same :) but its never that easy.

Oh yes, there is definitely a point in joining a union. It's very short sighted to just think about whether they can help you to negotiate a pay rise or not. Think about how they can help if something goes wrong at work and you need advice. There are also other benefits, but for me, it would be the support if needed.

You just need to read some of the posts on here, asking for help. Many are not in unions. By the time a problem occurs, it is too late to join one and get help with that problem. It's a bit like house insurance - it's there if you need it, but you hope that you never do.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    As your only reason for considering joining a union is to get them to negotiate better wages for you, there is no benefit in taking out union membership as they will not be able to do that.
    It might also be worth bearing in mind that with under 2 years employment with the company they can get rid of you without giving any reason.
  • Sandy75
    Sandy75 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I joined one recently and am already thinking of leaving it. My employer doesn't recognise any union and any additional help is covered by my home insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure