Ditching landline for VOIP

Options
13»

Comments

• Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've used voipfone for years now and never had a problem.

Cost £2 a month for a local number, not sure if you can keep your number.

Topped up £10 feb 2016, still have £6 left.
    Sigless
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is nothing against having more than one account, so the ported number could receive calls on one, and another might have cheap outgoing calls.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    Thanks. I've just been looking more at the Sipgate website and it actually states there is a £30 porting fee ?

https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/209551805

I didn’t port, I chose a new 01xx number on signup.
    ====
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    I took up Vonage when I was on VM as it was far cheaper than their telephony. I've kept it despite going back on BT infrastructure. I have the bottom package which costs £8.50 - a sharp increase on the £7 it cost for a long time but you get features such as callerid and optional withheld number blocking built in. The most useful bonus for me is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vonage.MobileExtension (possibly on Apple too) which rings your mobile too and lets you take landline calls via mobile data or WiFi when you are not at home which for me is most of the summer.

The Extensions app does work on iOS. I too have the £8.50p U.K. unlimited package and my iphone also rings in addition to my landline phone plugged into the Vonage box. Of interest to some is that once Extensions is set up and linked to your mobile number the Vonage number works on your mobile even when the Vonage box is not connected to the router.

Incidentally, Vonage have a special offer at the moment on the unlimited U.K. and 5 countries package costing £11.50p per month: You get a choice of U.K. area code and number and a £50 gift card if you still have the Vonage plan on 15th May. Offer expires on 31st March.

Lastly, note disconnection fees apply if you cancel the service within 12 months but there is an initial 30 day free cancellation period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure