PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling Home + Keeping Part Of Garden?

internets_2
internets_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 15 October 2016 at 7:25AM in House buying, renting & selling
Thanks for your replies... selling a home, and keeping a small portion of the garden to live\ build on is possible, i'll let you know if it happens....

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A new residence of any sort is going to need planning permission. Check local policies (minimum plot sizes etc), this may be a non-starter.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,973 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck with that. Who's going to want to buy your house and then look at you living in a shed in the garden?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky wrote: »
    Good luck with that. Who's going to want to buy your house and then look at you living in a shed in the garden?

I know. Would be great if it could be a zero contact sale, then we could pretend we've been there for years. Anyway the plot we want to cut off is to the side (no windows), so they wouldn't exactly be getting a show.
  • Interesting.

However, I think you may cut off a lot of potential buyers with this proposal.
  • tidds
    tidds Posts: 132 Forumite
    Curious idea. Slicing up land isn't that difficult and has been done. But you'll need to look into the legality and minimum plot size as said. Plus, consider if this is truly the right move for you...
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Perfectly straight forward.

Apply for planning permission.

Find a buyer for the property and land you wich to sell.

Split the Title using form TP1.

Sorted.
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2016 at 11:30AM
    Remember all the trouble the travellers near Basildon had a few years ago ? They were doing exactly this but on a larger scale.
    Eventually the bulldozers arrived and won.

I very much doubt you would get planning permission.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So in the midst of a row of detached suburban houses with big gardens, will be a little strip of land with a couple of 'eco-sheds' on it and inhabitants somehow living without power or running water?

Can't see the council or the neighbours really going for it myself.

Are you teasing us OP? ;)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    internets wrote: »
    .... even if the council OK'd it, I can't see the rest of the street being content with it at all, neighbours, nagbores...
    Well you don't seem to really care about the neighbours, so if the council OK it, what's the problem?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'd suggest that you stat by getting some advice about the liklihood of being granted planning permission to build on the land (whether an 'eco home' or anything else.

Then if you are told that it is likely to be grnated, make the application and divide off the bit of land, then when you market the proprty ensure that the agents are aware of which bit you are selling.

You can then formally split the titles either once PP is granted or as pat of the conveyancing on sale, in which case make sure you use a real solicitor, not a production line conveyancer.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure