The All New MSE Running Club.

Comments

• That's really good. I'm being very slack at the moment - finding it really hard to go out after work when it's dark. Need to up my short runs from 3 to 5 miles and get my long run up to 8 fairly quickly (HM in May)
  • Gonzo1987
    Gonzo1987 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    I had a major wobble on the weekend. I got up on Saturday to do my longest run 8.5 miles and I couldn't get out the door, i just didn't want to run anymore, I ddin't want to do the half marathon, I just wanted to quit. Anywho, I forced myself to get 5k done because that would be better than nothing, and knocked 3mins off my time!!!

Then Sunday I got up and did my 8.5 miles, although the last 1.5 miles was more a hobble than anything else (my hip was SO sore) But i did it.

3 miles scheduled for tomorrow.
  • Chickvic
    Chickvic Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done for getting up and going out anyway! I haven't started my marathon training yet (marathon in June) but am trying to get some time on my feet as not been great since October, with illness and foot pain. Managed 8 miles on Sunday and today although legs were a bit tired today, not sure whether that was from Sunday or getting up a 4am to go to work and just general tiredness. Will keep the next 2 runs a bit shorter and see how I go. When is your half marathon?
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Ive said earlier, sometimes you dont feel like running 1/5/20 miles. Run what you want...

Its Quality rather than Quantity...
  • Gonzo1987
    No I agree, I was putting far too much pressure on myself to stick to my training plan, when really I needed a short run, not to push myself.

My speed for some reason has picked up massively these past runs. I went out yesterday for a short run, and will go again tonight, although the weather is dismal!
  • Gonzo1987
    Did 6.5 miles today, knocked 2 mins off my last time. Trying to prep myself for my first 10 mile run on Saturday. I CAN DO THIS.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I didn't quite do 500 miles last year. I fell over (no surprise there) in December. This, strangely, was more painful than normal and took longer to heal. I then ended up with a cough / cold. I have asthma and one makes the other worse. I finished the year on about 750k. (so I missed out by about 30 miles)

I'm now trying for 500 miles again. I've left my old club for a few reasons and couldn't be happier. I'm going to rejoin my first club in a few weeks / when it gets lighter in the evenings.

I was pressurised into doing too many races last year. I'm now doing 4 races this year. Some silly sod agreed to do the Dublin half in August and didn't check the date. I then decided to do another half - it's the weekend before. oops.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • hi, does anybody have any tips to prevent groin strains? apart from the obvious stretches. Had a hernia op a few years back and it has left me with a tendency to get sore around that area. I spoke to a guy in the gym who recommended cycling shorts? do you think this will help - thanks
    Earn, Save and Achieve
  • donglemouse
    donglemouse Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    compression shorts will certainly do no harm - skins is a good brand, not cheap but they do last

don't stop the stretches though
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    I've had a few painful runs and wondered if it was because I've been pushing myself a little too much. My shoes are starting to go. What a surprise. :(
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family