Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    As ever a quick google of Yaw Damper finds this,
    A yaw damper is used to prevent the aircraft from going into a dutch roll.

If, for some reason (wind gust for example), the aircraft slips (i.e. it turns without rolling: the aircraft's nose doesn't point to the direction of flight anymore), then, because of that turn the speed of the airfoil around the wings is not the same anymore (for a short while). One wing will generate more lift than the other and the aircraft starts rolling. At the same time (when the aircraft is turning) the entire vertical stabilizer catches wind, forcing the aircraft in a turn in the other direction.

The aircraft will of course not stop turning at exactly zero degrees yaw, it will go a bit further and the other side of the vertical stabilizer will start catching wind, the other wing will start generating more lift... The process starts all over again and this, COMBINED with the pilot's corrective actions could result in a uncontrollable situation. This is also commonly referred to as "pilot induced oscillations".

What a Yaw damper consists of physically, I don't know. I guess it is some electronic control unit (in the case of Airbus FBW certainly) that limits the deflection of the rudder. Maybe there's a hydromechanical coupling as well.

I know it might sound complicated, it is just not easy to explain (and understand) without the aid of a figure or drawing.

Beats me why folk can't do this for themselves!
  • bonnie279
    bonnie279 Posts: 140 Forumite
    I put in a claim to Thomas Cook. The flight out to Tenerife was delayed by 3hr 29min outbound and 2hr 20 min in bound. They have offered £200 per person (£400 total) for all delays but this seems low to me and it is a voucher when I would prefer cash. Has anyone rejected offers and been offered more?

Any help appreciated, Thank you
    :T
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    blondmark wrote: »
    An appeal against a judgment and an Application to Set Aside are two different things. The airline would not be appealing here; they would be saying 'We didn't know we'd been sued but now we know we need an opportunity to defend it *and* our defence has a good chance of success.' This can be done as soon after the judgment as a defendant discovers it has been sued. However such an application ought not to be granted where a limited company has been served at its registered office, or at an office that is closely connected with the claim, as it is automatically deemed to have knowledge of the litigation.

Why would the poster have been informed by the court that the judgement can 'easily' be 'set aside' then?
    The court will be writing to them with the judgement at the same address that the 'summons' was sent to?
    I'd say that it was an over-enthusiastic response from the court clerk myself. A judgement is a judgement, hence my dismay expressed at that revelation.
  • Me and my wife both received $300 vouchers for American Airlines yesterday nearly 6 months after trying this. I had not had a single repsonse or even a hint of a reply so presumed it was dead in the water. After hte inital amazement of now having $600 dollars to take us back to NYC we are now realising this is sod all compared to the cheapest flight of $1200 each.

Has anyone sent their vouchers back and asked for an actual cash refund. There wasnt even any correspondance with the vouchers just literally the vouchers and nothing else.

Be interested if i can even sell these!
  • Used the template letter to claim for a 14 hour delay from Tbilisi to London with BA. No reply. Sent follow up letter 2 weeks later using template. They wrote 12 days later to say that a cheque for £512.05 is on its way.

Thank you Martin!
  • After looking through the posts and the information on the ruling, I am not sure if a claim can be made for this flight or not. I think it may be possible to claim but am not completely sure.

The flight was from Birmingham to Mexico City via a change in New York and all booked on one ticket with American Airlines.

The leg from Birmingham to New York was fine with no problems, in New York the flight was boarded about 3 hours late (reason not known) after about 30 minutes everyone was taken off due to a mechanical problem (suspect that may have caused the original 3 hour delay as well), about 30 minutes later the flight was cancelled completely as the airport was closed due to snow. My friend then had to arrange own onward flight to Mexico City, as she could do this quicker than American Airlines could, as she was then getting a separate internal flight booked by Mexican friends.

Even though the trip was booked on one ticket and departed from the UK, as the delay was on the connecting leg which went from outside Europe does this count. As the delay is calculated as being at your final destination, it would seem to indicate she may be able to claim. As the airport was closed by snow about 4 hours after the flight should have left, and the delay until then seems to have been mechanical problems, the weather would not have been an issue if the plane had been working, so again would seem to allow a claim.

Has anyone come across this situation yet, or have any thoughts on if a claim may be possible.

Thanks very much.
  • maghater
    maghater Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    According to flightontime.info Summer 2012 charter delays. Thomas cook managed to have 1 in 31 flights delayed by more than 3 hours,(that's a heck of a lot of extraordinary circumstances) compared to Thomson 1 in 170 !!!!!!. Are they unlucky or just not very good at what they do. EasyJet was actually better than 1 in 200
  • Jet2.com have refused to pay any compensation for an 8 hours delay because of extraordinary circumstances, specifically a pressurisation fault. Why is this extraordinary? Technical faults happen all the time surely.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    poodle2 wrote: »
    Jet2.com have refused to pay any compensation for an 8 hours delay because of extraordinary circumstances, specifically a pressurisation fault. Why is this extraordinary? Technical faults happen all the time surely.

try reading/posting in the Jet2 thread....you will see a common theme
  • bonnie279 wrote: »
    I put in a claim to Thomas Cook. The flight out to Tenerife was delayed by 3hr 29min outbound and 2hr 20 min in bound. They have offered £200 per person (£400 total) for all delays but this seems low to me and it is a voucher when I would prefer cash. Has anyone rejected offers and been offered more?

Any help appreciated, Thank you

Hi Bonnie
    I've just posted a thread re Thomas Cook voucher, I emailed them to say I refuse it as all compensation MUST be paid in cash unless the customer (me) has signed an agreement to accept a voucher. I received my cheque in 5 days for £2880! So no do not accept a voucher
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback