Looking for the silver lining

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,278 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forgot to say, I get messages from MacMillan brain tumour forum when there's a new post. One lady her hubby was diagnosed with the same type as Mr SA also in 2013, same age as him. He was in remission too but recently it came back. I messaged her with support, told her about Mr SA. Sadly he passed away just 2 days ago on their son's 8th birthday. So very sad and so very scary.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    So sad..sorry to hear that SA..

Your holiday plans sound great and very MSE at that price ;) - keep positive
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi SA. Just caught up with your diary and news. Awful news but each person is different - do try and not to worry about Mr SA though easy for me to say.

I'm glad to read you are hobbling about finally and will take it easy and not overdo it!. Good news on the gold and the holiday can't come soon enough! I think you deserve it after all the goings on over the last few months!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    The villa worked out much cheaper than a hotel, we never use the hotel facilities anyway and it's so close to everything. We must've walked past it so many times and not noticed it. I was only pricing up as intended to book next month but this was the only week left and such a bargain I had to risk it. Price includes taxi transfer too. Had to pay full amount as so close to travel date but have enough in bank to cover it. Insurance is done now. Only 9 weeks to go :) Mr SA has really perked up, he's not even bothered it won't be for his birthday. Really looking forward to it. Our passports expire in May so will have to renew them too but have factored this into budget.

Have made chilli soup for work lunches, tuna pasta bake for my dinner tonight and Mr SA is having mince on chips which is one of his favourites. Resting with foot up at the moment, it's quite swollen but it usually is at the end of the day, painkillers have kicked in so doesn't hurt.

Early night tonight as back to getting up at 5am tomorrow.
  • So sad about the other man on the MacMillan forum :(.

Glad you've been resting up and you have a fab holiday to look forward to Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    So sad..sorry to hear that SA..

Your holiday plans sound great and very MSE at that price ;) - keep positive

From me too.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Hello folks

Money for gold went in bank today £524.30! I was really pleased as one of the chains I sent I only paid £120 for (many years ago) and it wasn't that good quality, ended up getting back more than I paid for it. Sent the oddment £24.30 to VSP so this now holds £53.55. The £500 has gone for the holiday.

Mr SA is compiling a new pester list :(

Wore new boots to work, kept them on all day, they are really comfortable. Been walking without the crutches today and putting my leg up on my desk for elevation. Step count today is almost 6000 so far, not bad considering. Building it up slowly.

Dinner tonight for me is a portion of the butternut squash lasagne from the freezer stock with a side salad. Mr SA has got chicken, roast potatoes and veg.

Work really busy today, lots of catching up to do after the unplanned leave last week. Another early night for me I think.
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yay to the holiday SA :j

Sad news about the man on the forum :( xx
    Mummytogirls x

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Boo to pester list :eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Manic day at work again, ended up doing 9 hours!!

Only needed to take the painkillers once today :) That was first thing this morning, none since.

Spends today just the taxis. Alcohol free day too - well night to be precise as I don't usually drink at work :)

Easy dinner tonight scampi from the freezer stash, butternut squash chips and veg, Mr SA has got proper chips though - he doesn't eat anything fancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport