Have you got a spreadsheet to plan your retirement forecast and income?

Options

Comments

• ukdw
    ukdw Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When you say that your state pension column kicks in at 67 - do the values only start at age 67, or does the growth start from now, with the drawdown kicking in at 67?

Whilst I see the benefits of removing inflation and corresponding growth from the calculations - I favour leaving them in my version of your spreadsheet because a) I intend to use my spreadsheet as a long term tracker too b) If a large percentage of annual drawdown is expected to come from the annual growth of the pot in the early years, then I wonder whether you would lose some of this aspect if you reduce growth by the whole inflation percentage amount?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 October 2016 at 5:10AM
    Options
    Neither of those is really a reason not to use after inflation growth.

There is one reason not to use inflation, though: a plan to pay off an interest only mortgage. If you use today's money throughout you'll also be increasing your mortgage balance by inflation each year. Since it stays the same that means you'll have too much in your plan to repay it. You can deal with that by using negative inflation just for the mortgage portion.

I tend to use cfiresim for main planning because it handles the sequence of returns risk issue.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ukdw wrote: »
    Whilst I see the benefits of removing inflation and corresponding growth from the calculations - I favour leaving them in my version of your spreadsheet because a) I intend to use my spreadsheet as a long term tracker too
    I just do an annual exercise to uplift my balance by inflation when I also review to see whether I should 'mark to market' at all.
    b) If a large percentage of annual drawdown is expected to come from the annual growth of the pot in the early years, then I wonder whether you would lose some of this aspect if you reduce growth by the whole inflation percentage amount?
    You've completely lost me on that one. Mathematically it wouldn't make any difference - unless you've missed something out like uplifting your drawdown each year for inflation. If you are taking out more than the planned returns then the real terms pot will shrink and disguising that shrinkage by including inflation is probably not the best idea.
  • ukdw
    ukdw Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 October 2016 at 11:52AM
    Options
    On point 2 I was expecting it to make a big difference if you withdrew from a growing pot - i.e. If you withdraw 4% from the pot at the same time as it grows by 5% then the pot would actually be getting bigger each year for the first few years. Whereas if you ignore inflation and most of the growth then the pot would show as getting smaller from year 1. Having run a few scenarios through with both inflation included and not I was surprised to see that you are both right, and the year when the pot is emptied seems to be more or less the same either way.

Despite this, Personally I am going to stick with including inflation and growth in my spreadsheet as I want to front load my draw down amounts when I am younger and more active.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    On your 5% cash terms growth, 3% inflation and 4% withdrawal scenario you can indeed model in absolute cash terms rather than real terms if that is what you prefer. It's just important that doing so doesn't lull you into thinking that your pot is 'still growing' during that phase when in reality it is shrinking by 2% a year because of inflation.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

I'm trying to keep it all as simple as possible - and I appreciate it's mostly finger in the air guessing at inflation and growth and so on - but have I missed anything that any of you might have included in your own forecasts/spreadsheets?

I also include an assumption for tax liability on the money I plan to drawdown. I work on the basis that the first x% of any drawdown is tax-free (so x% of each annual amount, as opposed to the first x% of the whole lot)

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Lois_and_CK
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll also take a look at that cfiresim. Exciting weekend ahead!
  • Spreadsheetman
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll also take a look at that cfiresim. Exciting weekend ahead!
    Firecalc (firecalc.com) is useful too.

Be aware that they are both based around USA-only stock market returns which are a little higher than most other markets. See Monevator (monevator.com/world-stock-markets-data) for more detail.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got several spreadsheets running -but I take quite a pessimistic view!
    Based on our outgoings currently I've built in 7% year on year cost inflation,whilst I have only got 2.5% for SP and investments, and 1% for my and wife's DB pensions. As a result we will be living in a cardboard box by the time I'm 90!!
  • ex-pat_scot
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    I've got several spreadsheets running -but I take quite a pessimistic view!
    Based on our outgoings currently I've built in 7% year on year cost inflation,whilst I have only got 2.5% for SP and investments, and 1% for my and wife's DB pensions. As a result we will be living in a cardboard box by the time I'm 90!!

7% cost inflation! There's pessimistic, then there's 7%...

I guess you could break down your cost profile into a number of discrete segments, and estimate the cost volatility/inflation against each.

For example:

Loan servicing: NIL. I do not want to be carrying debt in retirement. I will work until any o/s loans (mortgage) are either paid off entirely or finalised with some of the lump sum.

Food: the general trend is downwards, but Brexit will mean we are dependent on more expensive imports, so i'd perhaps look at 2-3% cost inflation here.

Fuel: ultimately it's getting more expensive AND pegged to the USD. Perhaps 5% is pessimistic enough?
    I'm using heating oil, and price volatility (as well as overall cost) is frightening.

Travel: will be largely based on currency rates (assuming overseas travel). It's already down 15% post Brexit vote, and I don't see much of a long term adverse trend there.

Repacement goods: I guess (as Bill Bryson notes) that once retired I will really only be replacing stuff rather than buying more. We don't make much here anymore, which means FX and import tariffs will apply in the future. The big one here would be replacement vehicles.

Entertainment: still a lot of downwards pressure on price, and frankly most of this category is discretionary spend.

Tax: here's where any estimates might get interesting. Post Brexit we could increase tax, introduce import tariffs etc. That would have significant impact in the short to medium term.

Overall I guess my gut feel is that 2% is reasonable for a blended cost inflation rate, but with an eye on post Brexit tinkering on imports.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure