Work place offering pay rise but

Just want some advice on this one

Ok so I work for a well known charity full time and paid.

We have just had a letter issued to everyone stating the condition of the charity etc but I’m unhappy with this one section so I’ll enter it here word for word

“Despite the financial challenges, our treasurer and the trustees have secured a wage review which will see increased salaries for all of our staff in April, it is to be a modest rise due to financial constraints but we hope that you, our staff, will see that we appreciate the work you do for (charity)”

Now this Seems they are using the new minimum pay rise in April to make out its coming from them but it’s not it’s because they have to.

My question is are they allowed to state this as a pay rise from the goodness of their hearts but it only be minimum wage?

Comments

• bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As long as they are paying the correct minimum wage they can spin it however they like.

Their letter doesn't say how much the increase is though. Perhaps it is more than the increase in the minimum wage. Have you asked them?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You will be getting a pay rise, essentially they will be paying it from charity funds.

Where's the illegality in stating this?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just want some advice on this one

We have just had a letter issued to everyone stating the condition of the charity etc but I’m unhappy with this one section so I’ll enter it here word for word

“Despite the financial challenges, our treasurer and the trustees have secured a wage review which will see increased salaries for all of our staff in April, it is to be a modest rise due to financial constraints but we hope that you, our staff, will see that we appreciate the work you do for (charity)”

Now this Seems they are using the new minimum pay rise in April to make out its coming from them but it’s not it’s because they have to.

My question is are they allowed to state this as a pay rise from the goodness of their hearts but it only be minimum wage?
    It's a generic letter and ALL staff (NMW/NLW or higher) will get an increase... seems accurate to me
  • Just want some advice on this one

Not all your staff will be on NLW
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Yep, and to me. We did exactly the same when, after TWELVE YEARS, we managed to get some money together and increased staff pay. We genuinely couldn't do it before then.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Me and other staff are on minimum wage except for management they are on 25k plus so they will get a increase while the current minimum wage workers get nothing really
  • Me and other staff are on minimum wage except for management they are on 25k plus so they will get a increase while the current minimum wage workers get nothing really

You're getting a rise well above inflation, which is more than many others do.

If you want to earn more then find a way to qualify for higher paying roles, rather than expecting a rise for no reason.
    As pointed out...you got more than inflation...
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Can't help but wonder what the OP might realistically want to happen.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Perhaps they hoped to come here and get patronised to death
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts