Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Options

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    We have two seperate properties on Ebico tariffs. We received emails for each with a unique code to register online. If you do it gives you the option of staying or going.

Hope that helps.

Indeed, and it also allows you to opt into Direct Debit with them :)
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    After doing a comparison last week it looks like Ebico are no longer cheapest for me and I could save £70 a year if I switch to Robin Hood (outright), who I already have my electricity with.

If, like me, you really want the cheapest, then Ebico for gas was never really the cheapest option unless you were a really low user.

I think I previously calculated anything over about 2200kWh per year could be got cheaper elsewhere than with Ebico.

However, if you only use gas in the winter, the cheapest option (if you can be bothered with the hassle of frequently switching) may well be to take a zero standing cahrge for the summer and switching for the winter

Some downsides to consider:
    1. You need to switch twice a year
    2. You need to think about early exit fees with other suppliers - but there are options without early exit fees.
    3. You'll be concentrating your payments over say 6 months rather than 12, so double the monthly payment (assuming you pay monthl by DD), or face a large final bill when you switch after the winter.
    4. You need to think where prices are heading. If you think prices are going to continue to rise over the next 6 months, then it may be best to lock into a deal now. Otherwise, I would suugest you leave it until the Autumn.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 February 2017 at 9:41PM
    Options
    Murray_D wrote: »
    Trying to get in touch with SSE today regarding my account which is £30 in credit, I've been "number 1 in the queue" on the online chat for the past half an hour.
    Have read some customer reviews and the news isn't good.
    Hope I can get my money back from these people, I've also e-mailed them so fingers crossed

I'm afraid I still can't get through to to Ebico on the telephone - numerous failed attempts this morning and three attempts this afternoon so far.

I am also in credit but will it be with SSE or Ebico? I think probably SSE as it looks as if new directs may be needed for Ebico under the new arrangement.

It would be helpful to just be able to ask but, so far, this is not possible.

Crimson
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Murray_D wrote: »
    Trying to get in touch with SSE today regarding my account which is £30 in credit, I've been "number 1 in the queue" on the online chat for the past half an hour.
    Have read some customer reviews and the news isn't good.
    Hope I can get my money back from these people, I've also e-mailed them so fingers crossed

I have just completed an SSE online form for a refund
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm afraid I still can't get through to to Ebico on the telephone - numerous failed attempts this morning and three attempts this afternoon so far.

I am also in credit but will it be with SSE or Ebico? I think probably SSE as it looks as if new directs may be needed for Ebico under the new arrangement.

It would be helpful to just be able to ask but, so far, this is not possible.

Crimson

Cromson

It'll be SSE that needs to refund you - it's been SSE you've been paying.

There should be no issues getting through to SSE. It will be SSE that decides if you can have any refund at this stage, and if so, what effect/rise it may have on your monthly payment.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure how much credit you guys are suddenly so desperate to recover.

I indicated earlier than any gas usage over about 2200kWh (about £100 p.a.) can be purchased cheaper elsewhere if you agree to pay monthly by DD.

As for electricity, if you are willing to pay monthly by DD, I think there is always a cheaper supplier than Ebico Equipower.
  • whattochoose
    Options
    This is part of Ebico's email to me.....

What does this mean for me?

As a result of our new partnership, the EquiGas / EquiPower tariff will be coming to an end. However, we are delighted to announce that our new tariff - Ebico Zero - will still offer a zero standing charge and, better still, we have negotiated a discount of at least 4.5% to your current energy unit rates, with this price guaranteed until at least December 2017. Any surpluses we make will continue to help the Ebico Trust support community schemes tackling fuel poverty across Britain. Your new terms and conditions can be found at ebico.org.uk/terms and the new energy charges are confirmed below.

If you would like more information about why this is happening please click here.

On your current EquiGas tariff, powered by SSE, your Personal Projection is £39.99. With your new Ebico Zero tariff, powered by Robin Hood Energy, this will be lowered to £38.20, an equivalent of £3.18 per month. Those figures include VAT at 5% and are based on an estimate of your annual consumption. Please see a breakdown of the rates for Ebico Zero below.

It looks like I'll be staying with Ebico in tandem with their new partner Robin Hood Energy. I'll be benefiting from a slight reduction, although being a very light user of gas, the amounts are negligible.
    However, the main point for me as a quarterly, direct debit payer, I will continue to benefit from zero standing charges.
    The only slight grouse I have is that, having a SSE electricity tariff also, which meant my gas and electricity details were viewable on the one website, I'll now have to open a separate online account for my gas supply.
    Not a big deal really, but I'm wondering in future whether it will be a case of checking all my gas details, eg bills, usage, payments made, etc, on the Ebico website (since they require bank details for direct debit if you opt-in), or whether any details should be viewed on the Robin Hood website once you have registered with them?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 February 2017 at 10:44AM
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    The Ofgem rules now mean that PPM customers will have to pay a standing charge (the Ofgem rules don't specifically state that, but you cannot make a business case that would work without the application of the standing charge)

That happened a while ago. Actually Ebico do have a standing charge (for SSE customers) but it's nil. In addition to that direct debit customers and pre-pay customers (on SSE) pay the same price.

If I don't blame Ebico who did in fact initiate this process of moving to RHE who do I blame?

Re: letter, email or whatever: I have still not received an email nor a letter about the changes. Quite frankly if Ebico change me over to RHE without my permission it will be a case for complaint and Ofgem.
  • sheepy123
    sheepy123 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 February 2017 at 10:58AM
    Options
    According to Utility Week
    SSE claims Ebico breached the terms of a 20-year partnership by launching a prepay tariff with Robin Hood Energy.
    https ://utilityweek.co.uk/news/fuel-poverty-tariff-sparks-energy-supplier-spat/1296582#breadcrumb
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 February 2017 at 11:13AM
    Options
    sheepy123 wrote: »
    According to Utility Week https ://utilityweek.co.uk/news/fuel-poverty-tariff-sparks-energy-supplier-spat/1296582#breadcrumb

Thanks for post but bad link. Here's the link:
    http://utilityweek.co.uk/news/fuel-poverty-tariff-sparks-energy-supplier-spat/1296582#.WLVL-DvyjIU
    The big six supplier reassured that “SSE customers supplied under the Ebico brand will continue to be SSE customers for as long as they wish. They will continue receive their energy and the same high levels of customer service from SSE for the foreseeable future regardless of today’s announcement. Any suggestion otherwise is incorrect, misleading and should be ignored.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure