PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Ten a Day challenge, join me

So 10 a day better than 5 a day. Who is going to join me in the challenge? Sharing recipes meal ideas and importantly money saving?

Progress today
Brksfst a boiled egg and an apple =1
Lunch bowl of homemade mix veg and lentil soup, turkey salad and an orange =4
Dinner= grapefruit starter =1
cauliflower cheese with a little bacon,peas, sweetpotato and some sweetcorn =4

snack = any fruit =1

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Lol I think I'll sit this one out. I started a 5-a-day thread last year, but these days struggle to eat one small meal a day.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 February 2017 at 3:17PM
    I think I eat pretty healthy and loads of fruit and veg but think I might struggle. However, let's give this a go.

Remember one portion for adults is 80g so 800g a day needed, here's the link to the "rules" https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/what-counts-five-day Just multiply by 2 :)

I had malted wheats and blueberries = 1
    1/2 a mango for snack = 1
    veg salad for lunch = 2
    2 small blood oranges for snack = 1
    Chicken pie with beans = 2 (apparently onions count)

That means I have to find another 3 today :o

Just checked, mushrooms count too, thats 3 for dinner then :)
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Most people struggle to do 5 a day. This is just madness.
  • I usually get between 3 and 6 per day, I am not sure I could manage 10 and I'm a vegetarian. I worry a bit that people will see it's 10 a day now and just give up altogether. Good luck to anyone trying this though, will be interested to see how much it costs.
  • thriftylass
    edited 23 February 2017 at 4:01PM
    I too think it's rather unrealistic even for a healthy person.

But looking at the "rules" you'd be surprised what counts. Didn't expect to see mushrooms, onions, sweet potato, tinned tomatoes, pulses. So taking that into account it shouldn't be about cost. Unless you eat just cornflakes, chicken nuggets, and pizza (even that has tomatoes, onions etc on it and taken together counts as 1) all day I struggle to see how anybody could be under 3 or 2 even under a strict budget.

For me trying for 10 it's just a bit of fun, not to be taken too seriously.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's not JUST 10 a day - you have to have a minimum of specific quantities too. It'd be easy to have 10 a day if you could choose your own quantities.

So, do you know the quantities? Are you weighing out yours correctly?

Today I had some onion on a pizza .... but it was more like 1/20th of an onion, not the half that is a portion.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I too think it's rather unrealistic even for a healthy person.

But looking at the "rules" you'd be surprised what counts. Didn't expect to see mushrooms, onions, sweet potato, tinned tomatoes, pulses. So taking that into account it shouldn't be about cost. Unless you eat just cornflakes, chicken nuggets, and pizza (even that has tomatoes, onions etc on it and taken together counts as 1) all day I struggle to see how anybody could be under 3 or 2 even under a strict budget.

For me trying for 10 it's just a bit of fun, not to be taken too seriously.

In some respects I was a bit surprised with sweet potatoes but not the others.

I think it was cruciferous veg (broccoli, cauliflower etc) that were the healthiest option.

I eat loads of veg (not much of a fruit fan) but if wanted to eat 10 x 80g portions in a day I'd have to start snacking between meals and I don't want to do that.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks for the link THRIFTYLASS. I'm surprised at how little of some count as a portion. Should be quite do-able I think. I already eat in excess of 5 most days so ditching the puddings and cake for something helthier to up the amount should give good benefits
  • thriftylass
    edited 23 February 2017 at 5:37PM
    It's not JUST 10 a day - you have to have a minimum of specific quantities too. It'd be easy to have 10 a day if you could choose your own quantities.

So, do you know the quantities? Are you weighing out yours correctly?

Today I had some onion on a pizza .... but it was more like 1/20th of an onion, not the half that is a portion.

But adding the mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes it probably adds up to 80g and 1 portion.

As you can see in the link some portions are rather small like 3 teaspoons of peas.

And yes as said before 10 is excessive and hard to follow. But for an average healthy-ish diet I thought having some fruit and veg is easy to achieve and doesn't break the bank. Unless you eat beige there is hardly any recipe that does not include veg, onions, mushrooms etc. Add one or two pieces of fruit and a glass of juice and viola 5 should be easy on a good day.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    This message puts people off I think.

Three a day is very achievable, so is five. But 10 a day I think, will really put a guilt trip on people who maybe cannot afford a lot of fruit and veg. Or who maybe also don't really like them much either!

Of course we should incorporate both fruit and veg into our diets, but FGS with that amount of roughage I reckon the 10 a dayers will be spending a lot of time in the loo!

I just eat what I fancy. No takeaways, no sweet things, a glass of wine with dinner every single night, and if I don't fancy veg or fruit I don't really care.

There are multivitamins for that gap!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport