PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Options

Comments

• MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

I'm currently swaying from excitement and really looking forward to getting in the house, to utter panic and despair as to whether I'm doing the right thing!

It is nice not to be constantly hitting F5 and refreshing all the property sites every 10 minutes throughout the day though. :rotfl:

Good luck to you all looking for properties too xx
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • psychological
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    Thank you psychological! How's your purchase coming along?

I bought my first (and only) house 15 years ago. Have forgotten the processes involved!

Hi Copperjar,

It's a waiting game for us at the moment, offer accepted, solicitors instructed, valuation has taken place (yesterday) and waiting on the formal offer for the mortgage (so now sitting in the "Waiting for Mortgage Offer" thread).

As lovely as you all are :) I'm hoping I don't have to officially come back to this thread - but trying not to get excited at this stage as I know nothing is set in stone until exchange.
  • Bonfire_Bride
    Options
    Hi Copperjar,

It's a waiting game for us at the moment, offer accepted, solicitors instructed, valuation has taken place (yesterday) and waiting on the formal offer for the mortgage (so now sitting in the "Waiting for Mortgage Offer" thread).

As lovely as you all are :) I'm hoping I don't have to officially come back to this thread - but trying not to get excited at this stage as I know nothing is set in stone until exchange.

I'm exactly the same...always come back to this thread though to check how everyone is doing. I'm waiting for our mortgage valuation now as sellers have been away for 3 weeks.

I still have a nosey at rightmove though now and again, although havn't spotted anything as nice as the property we are (hopefully) purchasing.

Hoping for more good news from others on here soon :)
  • psychological
    Options
    I'm exactly the same...always come back to this thread though to check how everyone is doing. I'm waiting for our mortgage valuation now as sellers have been away for 3 weeks.

I still have a nosey at rightmove though now and again, although havn't spotted anything as nice as the property we are (hopefully) purchasing.

Hoping for more good news from others on here soon :)

Good luck to you too! Would love to hear how you get on.
  • copperjar
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Think I will always come into this thread to see how people are getting on (if it continues!). There was a time where I genuinely didn't think we'd find anywhere, it would be nice to give hope to others feeling the same! :)

Went round to see it again this morning because we didn't see the garage the first time. It's even nicer than we remembered. So pleased!

Ive had no news at all from our solicitor about my house sale - have been chasing her all week. Not sure if it's just new found impatience because we want to get cracking with it all, but she isn't great with emails and I've been promised a call back for 2 days now. Hope the purchase goes through quickly. Sent in the mortgage application last night, house valuation happening next Fri, looking at what survey to get, everything else a waiting game I think.

Does anyone have an easy guide for buying and selling houses?! Think I'm missing something big!
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • kilby_007
    Options
    We went to see another property today, which initially looked promising. The price at 325K is right at the top end of our budget and needs redecorating & new carpets throughout, new kitchen and bathroom and some general maintenance including re-landscaping the garden. We have budgeted for all that and reckon we can do it for 10-15K, doing most of the work ourselves (except carpets).

Problem is, the garden which looked HUGE on the photos (the house is barely visable in the distance) in reality is unimpressive. It was around 1/3 of the length I thought it was! This would mean that with an extension and a workshop we would hardly have any garden left. I understand that you have to make compromises when house hunting, and garden size might have to be one of those, but it leaves us questioning why we want this house when you can buy an (almost) new-build 3-story house on the next estate for around the same price that wouldn't need any work. The plot is quite a bit bigger than the new builds although the house itself is smaller. You seem to pay a lot for (very little) extra land these days...

The estate agent told us that a previous buyer had a survey which found that the concrete floors had suffered sulphate attack. The buyer wanted 35K knocked off the price but the vendor instead got the work done herself for 8K. The buyer backed out anyway, hence it's back on the market. Unless they're willing to take around 290K I think this one's a non-starter. I can't see them dropping down 12% but you never know, might be worth a try (or wait for them to reduce and then negotiate).
  • Swash
    Swash Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone, just stumbled upon this thread. I've been looking seriously for a house for around a year. I don't live in the area I want to buy, so sometimes it's a few weeks before I can view the next property, then it gets sold. It's so difficult to stay positive! I'm determined to find somewhere in the next 3 months so fingers crossed I will before Christmas. I've viewed around 8 or 10 properties and none have been what I want. Maybe I am being fussy but it's my first property I'm buying so I think I should be?

Good luck everyone
    "Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles".
  • ecclesto
    Options
    If anyone wants a 4 bedroom detached house with lovely back garden, garage and conservatory in Skelmersdale, close to M58 and M6 please feel free to message me! No chain and ready to go..........
  • 9ja4life
    Options
    Copperjar and MeandO, well done! I envy you both in a very nice way!

We found a house. It's perfect in every way - only it's going to auction. We absolutely don't want to go through auction. So gutted - we have fingers tightly crossed it doesn't sell at auction but being so close to Norwich...who knows?
  • copperjar
    Options
    Fingers crossed 9ja4life!!
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories