Conundrum: Pedestrians on a narrow country road with no footpaths - who gives way?

Doc_N
Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 18 May 2017 at 8:24PM in Motoring
Outside towns and cities, but often just outside quite well populated villages, there are roads with no footpaths, just not particularly easily accessible verges.

It's a sunny day on a quiet road, with not much traffic. You're driving a car - you spot a couple of pedestrians out for a walk and coming towards you. There are two of them, side by side, on your side of the road, but having seen you they move into single file.

It's a narrow road, just about wide enough for two vehicles, there's another car coming towards you, and you expect the pedestrians to get off the road, onto the verge, to allow you to continue your journey without having to stop. But they don't - they just carry on walking single file.

What do you do?

1 Stop before you reach the pedestrians to allow the other car to pass safely.

2 Blast your horn at the pedestrians to get them to move out of the way.

3 Carry on regardless and take a chance on brushing against the pedestrians?

Real life situation - I see it every day. What's the correct answer? An increasing number of drivers seem not to know what it is.

Comments

• Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    You need to stop or get on to the verge yourself. Since a vehicle is coming the other way the first option is more appropriate I would suggest.

If you blasted your horn at me you wouldn't be getting past at all.

The pedestrians may have reasons for not wanting to step on to the verge, very annoying but not much you can do.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It is your right of way, pedestrians should move over, however it is also your responsibility not to run people over so... yes, if they are not moving, you must stop. Highway code explicitly states that if pedestrians are in the road you must slow down and stop before you hit them!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

The pedestrians are doing the right thing - walking single-file facing the oncoming traffic. If they can get onto a verge they probably will do. If passing them safely would put you over the centre line and in conflict with the oncoming vehicle; you should wait until it is safe. Same situation would apply if the pedestrians were a non-bological obstruction - roadworks, parked emergency vehicle, fallen tree.

But speaking as one who has been on that sort of road on foot, a goodly number of drivers go for
    4 Accelerate to get past the pedestrians and make the oncoming driver stop instead.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Do you really need to ask?
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    kmb500 wrote: »
    It is your right of way

Is it ?
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    Is it ?
    Is exactly what I thought.
    It's scary! :eek:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd stop as the other car has a priority and there is an "obstruction", whatever the sort, on my side. It'd be dangerous driving without regard for other road users to do anything different.

If there were no car coming the other way, I'd slow down and pull out so they knew I'd seen them and to have more options should one stumble.

There are rights, priorities ... and courtesy.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't care whose right of way it is.

I would do whatever it takes to avoid an accident. I don't want to spend months/years dealing with my insurance company and having to pay higher premiums even if it wasn't my fault.

I also don't want to injure/kill someone and have that on my conscience for the rest of my life.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    What's the correct answer?
    Your driving instructor will explain, when you're old enough.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    If you have an obstruction on your side of the road you should be the one that gives way to oncoming traffic. Doesn't matter what that obstruction is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure