PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Renting out my one bed flat yay or nay?

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    economic wrote: »
    to inform others who dont know about you. if people listened to you, they would be much worse off financially. no one wants to be a loser like you crashy.

So you would advise people to fill their boots with debt at 400-500k a pop for London new-builds in dodgy soulless areas then?
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    So you would advise people to fill their boots with debt at 400-500k a pop for London new-builds in dodgy soulless areas then?

i wouldnt no, and i said this before. but then you have said for years not to buy int this supposive bubble and people listened to you they would have lost out. simple fact. funny thing is you have lost out massively. hence you are what people would call a loser.
  • Crashy_Time
    Forumite
    i wouldnt no, and i said this before. but then you have said for years not to buy int this supposive bubble and people listened to you they would have lost out. simple fact. funny thing is you have lost out massively. hence you are what people would call a loser.

You bought back into the London bubble at peak prices hoping/believing prices would keep going up didn`t you?
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    You bought back into the London bubble at peak prices hoping/believing prices would keep going up didn`t you?

nope, i told you already why i bought. why do you sound like a broken record?

i bought because i dont want to waste money on rent. i have the money to buy. i am earning 4% income a year on my capital invested in my home. tax free. even if prices fall i would still be better off long term. i hate the idea of renting. i have other invesments as well and my LTV is 50%.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    But you didn`t say that, you said sell it now and "bank the tax free profit". In response I said that tax on buyers could make this difficult.

It's implied, it's tax free profit now because there is no tax to pay when selling ones main home, if the OP goes ahead with their plan profit may well be liable for CGT in the future. As I'm sure you know but ignore so that you can spout nonsense. The SDLT paid by a buyer has no impact on the profit made by the seller or on any CGT that the seller is or is not liable to pay.
  • Crashy_Time
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    It's implied, it's tax free profit now because there is no tax to pay when selling ones main home, if the OP goes ahead with their plan profit may well be liable for CGT in the future. As I'm sure you know but ignore so that you can spout nonsense. The SDLT paid by a buyer has no impact on the profit made by the seller or on any CGT that the seller is or is not liable to pay.

It does if the tax makes them more cautious about buying, it could mean less, or even no profit for the seller.
  • Crashy_Time
    Forumite
    nope, i told you already why i bought. why do you sound like a broken record?

i bought because i dont want to waste money on rent. i have the money to buy. i am earning 4% income a year on my capital invested in my home. tax free. even if prices fall i would still be better off long term. i hate the idea of renting. i have other invesments as well and my LTV is 50%.

Safe to say that you have more at stake than me if the London property bubble pops though?
  • Robomb
    Robomb Posts: 4 Newbie
    boliston wrote: »
    I would imagine you would need freeholder subletting consent (check your lease) which might involve fees. Also you might get charged a higher rate by your mortgage company. Don't forget about rules regarding registering the deposit as penalties can be high otherwise. Most laws also favour tenants rather than landlords.

Thanks this is useful advice. I will contact my freeholder today. I just spoke to the bank and luckily they will grant me a consent to let for just a one off fee of £100 which is great, no mortgage increase. I will definitely register the tenants' deposit lawfully. Thanks again.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you have not yet done so, please read the links I gave you in my post 10 above. It's not just the mortgage lender's consent you need to learn about/sort.

I fear you may have been distracted by the 'online debate' (to be polite) in the intervening posts........
  • I also bought a two bed house in 2012 (not Londinium tho) and am selling. Rented to friends for two years and if I hadn't got them out sharpish then the house would be in bits....agent looking after it or not...you get dirty lazy people in you're knackered. How much did you buy for in 2012 ? Let's guess £200k....its probably gone up £70k...sell it !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure