PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

unscented fabric conditioner

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We ought to get together and offer ourselves to the White Vinegar advertisers. There must be someone out there who hasn't experienced its magic yet.

I've been using it in the washing machine for years and yes, the clothes are soft and non-itchy and the machine is all clean and shiny.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow thats unanimous, white vinegar it is then :) I will report back once I have tried it.

I always use less than the recommended amount of powder by a third (due to the smell and cost saving) I find that it still get the clothes clean. I wash most things at 60 deg so that probably helps.

How much vinegar does everyone put in?
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Water softener might be a good option too. I use it sometimes as we have hard water but it still makes things feel softer in soft water areas. Calgon is very overpriced but Tesco and Sainsbury's have their own powdered versions - Tesco call it limescale removal powder and Sainbury's is similar, both in card boxes at about £2.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    .A small bottle from the supermarkets costs about 45p for 500mls I would love to buy a gallon but no where near me sells it at that size.
    Any help?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Oils-Vinegars-Salad-Dressings/Golden-Swan-White-Vinegar-Litre/B00TZT6GQE/ref=pd_lpo_325_bs_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F4N9PJSJAYACX02E6WTX
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    as it says pack of four does it mean four bottles of 1.25 litres ? do you think
    It's 4 x 5 litres - bulk buying!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A small bottle from the supermarkets costs about 45p for 500mls I would love to buy a gallon but no where near me sells it at that size.
    I hate to be an advocate of Tesco, but their standard price for distilled white vinegar is 39p a pint (= 69p a litre). Sadly, that seems to be the only size bottle they ever do but they are way cheaper than any other supermarket I've seen (and only slightly more expensive than Amazon's Chinese bulk buy!)
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    Calgon is very overpriced but Tesco and Sainsbury's have their own powdered versions - Tesco call it limescale removal powder and Sainbury's is similar, both in card boxes at about £2.
    But aren't they different things? Calgon, for example specifically say it's not a descaler, whereas you say Tesco describe theirs as limescale remover. That suggests they aren't the same thing.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's 4 x 5 litres - bulk buying!

Wow:eek::eek::eek:so that's 20 litres of vinegar that's really brilliant at that price, I will get my DD to get me some as she has an amazon account
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow thats unanimous, white vinegar it is then :) I will report back once I have tried it.

I always use less than the recommended amount of powder by a third (due to the smell and cost saving) I find that it still get the clothes clean. I wash most things at 60 deg so that probably helps.

How much vinegar does everyone put in?

Glad that we've managed to convince/browbeat you to try. :rotfl:

I just put a glug in, as been using it that long I never measure. I think a capful, as in what you would with fabric conditioner, should be about right. On occasion I have over-glugged :eek: No harm done, and no vinegar smelling clothes ever.

I can't always get white vinegar here, so have successfully used grape vinegar, which is the local cheapest vinegar. I have also used brown malt vinegar before, when I had run out of white when I lived in the UK. Didn't stain the clothing, and worked just as well as the white vinegar, even in a white wash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure