Jumpy_Bunny Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 1 June 2017 at 8:03AM in Credit file & ratings
Post removed *** post removed

Comments

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It may be possible if you contact the credit agencies to put a notice of correction of the credit report stating that you did not apply to be a Virgin customer. What I find concerning here is the sales person asking for people's dates of birth. Unfortunately they can get names from the electoral register, so it is important when registering to vote to ensure you are only on the edited list not the full list. This gives you the right to vote, but doesn't give your details to companies.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May 2017 at 2:42PM
    Options
    I think that you should be able to get this search removed by means of a complaint under Virgin's formal procedure. I agree that your relative has clearly been on the receiving end of a salesman who is paid by results - probably as a consequence of pressure applied by Virgin sales team management. If it were me I would be taking steps to get the search removed too, but when all is done, it isn't going to seriously impact on your relative's credit record.

If you search for 'Virgin media UK Complaints' you will find the details
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    I doubt the search will have much if any impact on credit card or Bank account...however agree fully about having it removed and complaint made.

Was the salesman direct with Virgin or one of these fellas shipped via mini bus from another county and pester people to sign up for all manner of things.?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 November 2017 at 8:55PM
    Options
    I doubt the search will have much if any impact on credit card or Bank account...however agree fully about having it removed and complaint made.

Was the salesman direct with Virgin or one of these fellas shipped via mini bus from another county and pester people to sign up for all manner of things.?

I agree on both points, 1 search wont have much impact but its about the principle about it, the search shouldnt have been done.

OP do you have anything grom the salesman eg a card with his name or phone number on, be easy for VM to find out of hes a Virgin rep or if the work is outsurced, im sure they would know if a certain area was canvassed on a certain day.

Keep us updated OP. Id contact the ref agencies and Virgin first then the ICO if Virgin dont play ball.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 29 May 2017 at 6:40AM
    Options
    On the subject of the salesman and his behaviour this is disgusting but I'm afraid to say that you yourself are not blameless. Having told the salesman that you are not interested, happy with current provider, in contract with current provider etc why did you not close the door? I think I would have already closed the door before that. This is especially true when he mentioned returning the following day. At that point I would definitely have told him DO NOT COME BACK especially if I knew my elderly relative who lived at the house was going to be alone when he called.
    Why did your relative open the door to him the next day and, having perhaps opened the door because he was unaware of who was calling, continue to converse with the salesman the next day?

With regard to the credit check, are you sure this was actually a hard search by virgin media? Presumably no application was actually made so how was the hard search carried out? By who? Why? How was the necessary information obtained in order to do a hard search? Your relative must have provided some personal details. Why did he give his date of birth? He was not applying for anything but just gave out his date of birth? Did it not occur to him to ask the salesman why he wanted this information? Something tells me that virgin media are not in the habit of making random hard searches of peoples credit files. It doesn't make sense; they would be inundated with complaints.

Of more concern than the hard search is the fact that if this really was a hard search then it must have been an application search which raises the possibility that an actual account may have been opened. Your relative may have signed nothing but you don't sign anything when you open an account online or over the phone. You have emphasised the 'don't sign anything' advice given but did you also give don't agree verbally advice and don't give out personal information to strangers advice?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure