Hotel counter suing for false sickness claim

OK it is the Daily Mail but it is quite interesting due to the number of newbies in the past asking about the cash for compo companies now spamming us promising money for past holidays where we may have been unwell:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4548686/Hotel-sues-fake-holiday-bug-pair-170-000.html
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Good on the hotel
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 May 2017 at 11:14AM
    Very strange case all round. If it was a package holiday and it was booked through Thomsons so it almost certainly was, then the claim should have been against the operator, not the hotel itself. Also very difficult to see any claim of defamation by the hotel against the customers since no one knew anything about the complaint until now. Looking at Tripadvisor, the reviews are nearly all excellent or good.

Thomsons did announce last Monday that they would defend every case that they thought was fraudulent and as operators of First Choice who only sell all inclusive holidays they may be at the front line of complaints but defending a case costs tens of thousands of pounds and many smaller operators, or perhaps their insurers would rather settle as it costs less and this is what the false claims handlers rely on
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I too wonder at the history of the claim.
    Were they really ill? The DM article implies not.
    If they were I'll, did they say anything to the rep in resort?
    Did they try to claim from Thomson's and were knocked back?

If it turns out that they just saw a way to make a few £k, then it's a case of the biter bit. :T
    Well done that hotel.
    According to the DM, the couple now want to drop the case - they stand to lose their home.
    That will teach them not to deal with ambulance-chasing scumbag companies with a false claim.
    No sympathy whatsoever for them if the article is true.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Us 1940's boomer babies have cast iron guts, so we generally never get ill, but my wife's only-ever tummy bug happened after she ate an unwashed apple 20 years ago in Aracena near the Spanish Portugese border.

Who do I sue?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I too wonder at the history of the claim.
    Were they really ill? The DM article implies not.
    If they were I'll, did they say anything to the rep in resort?
    Did they try to claim from Thomson's and were knocked back?

If it turns out that they just saw a way to make a few £k, then it's a case of the biter bit. :T
    Well done that hotel.
    According to the DM, the couple now want to drop the case - they stand to lose their home.
    That will teach them not to deal with ambulance-chasing scumbag companies with a false claim.
    No sympathy whatsoever for them if the article is true.

Actually the 'stand to lose their house' claim appears to be a False statement, the remedy is there in the article itself. It says if they want to close their claim they merely have to pay the solicitor off, I would have thought that a cheaper option rather than attempt to defend themselves .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I do hope the SRA will be looking at the solicitors as, quoting the couple, "I was horrified when I saw the court papers which listed all these negative things we were supposed to have said about the hotel. We never said any of those things. I rang the solicitor and she told me not to worry about it."
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    AlexMac wrote: »
    Us 1940's boomer babies have cast iron guts, so we generally never get ill, but my wife's only-ever tummy bug happened after she ate an unwashed apple 20 years ago in Aracena near the Spanish Portugese border.

Who do I sue?

I lost two days of a holiday in the Algarve with food poisoning. I ended up in hospital with food poisoning during a stay in Malta (Hotel Mediterranee, Bugibba).

It never occured to me to sue. I just decided that it was going to have to be self catering if I wanted to visit southern Europe.

Not had food poisoning since.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    Actually the 'stand to lose their house' claim appears to be a False statement, the remedy is there in the article itself. It says if they want to close their claim they merely have to pay the solicitor off, I would have thought that a cheaper option rather than attempt to defend themselves .

Erm no. That was to close their claim against the hotel. Has no effect on the counter claim against them
  • The photo of the husband wearing two large gold earrings rather makes up my mind on the character of these claimants.
    I know it shouldn't but it does.
    Just saying.:D
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    soolin wrote: »
    OK it is the Daily Mail but it is quite interesting due to the number of newbies in the past asking about the cash for compo companies now spamming us promising money for past holidays where we may have been unwell:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4548686/Hotel-sues-fake-holiday-bug-pair-170-000.html
    Here's one thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5623256

The OP of this thread ^^^^ asks about 'free money'.

In the case of the couple in the DM article, I bet they wish they'd never heard from this firm of solicitors.

The holiday they're claiming for was in October 2013.

Sheer greed on their part.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport