PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove mould from bathroom sealant ? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    toasterman wrote: »
    Nobody's cleaned our bathroom in a while.. it's not years, but it's not recent. Anyway - we have this black mould-type stuff on the sealant stuff that you get around the outside of the bath/hand basin, and I was wondering how you clean it off?.
    Hi :)

I've added your post onto an earlier thread and, since posts are listed in date order, you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up.

By and large I think you'll find that unless it's a very light infestation of the mold your only real solution is to replace the sealant.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    As I have previously stated, mixing bicarb with bleach, applying with a toothbrush then leaving for a few hours or overnight definitely makes a huge difference. I was left with a light brown stain, but it was better than the nasty black mould.

Having said that, I also agree with PG. I recently bought some silicone remover from the DIY store, applied it and left it for hours, then stripped it off and OH reapplied the silicone - its sparkly and new now!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I spotted this the other day:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/b/BITFG8/

I wonder if it's any better than the sealants available from the DIY sheds?
    Stompa
  • lizzie_dripping
    Options
    This stuff is fantastic at removing black mould
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!20284
  • atrebor
    atrebor Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    I aggree, teh astohsish has really worked for me in teh past - even when I thought it woudn't.

but when it gets to bad you do have to replace........my tips. Old fashioned razor blade to remove, clean the exposed area really well with a dryish microfiber cloth to remove all traces and when resealing.....dip your finger in a strong washing up liquid soloution to make it easier to smooth with your finger after putting the bead in place. Not sure if a plumber or builder would agree, but its how I do it
  • hearts
    hearts Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    Options
    Hi reading throught this as I have had this problem for a while. I have replaced several times but it keeps coming back within months.

Has anyone found a Better sealant which I can try this time as I'm getting sick of replacing it so often ;-)
    Ta
  • DSmiffy
    DSmiffy Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    floyd wrote: »
    I use methylated spirit to clean before re-sealing but you must check any painted surfaces first as it can strip it :o

Would nail varnish remover work ???
  • sandraroffey
    Options
    i use a fairly new thing from all the supermarkets, called grotbuster or something like that! its fantastic.xx
  • moneysavinmonkey
    Options
    Got some grotbuster stuff recently on offer at tesco.
    It really worked fantastically well for me. Just squeezed it on, left it sitting there for 15 mins or so and came back and rinsed off - no scrubbing even!
  • thedoctor46
    Options
    If you check you're local area for suppliers of pvc products eg.guttering facia's etc. they have pvc cleaning products which are quite strong and will get mould off sealant and baths etc.one down side is that some of them smell quite stongly so you will need to ventilate the room and wear latex gloves,also will clean up windows and conservatories as well...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure