Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Comments

• EveYvonne wrote: »
    Hi

Can I ask advice on posting a 32" TV please, weighs 14kg and it's in original box and packaging.

I've spent hours looking around the postage sites etc but most seem to have all TVs on the 'prohibited list'.

Lots of people seem to sell tvs etc on ebay so it must be possible?

Any ideas as to what it would cost to post it with insurance (£500value) would be helpful.

TIA
    people on eBay most of the time will post without insurance, and just pack it very well.
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    All absolutely true, I think I posted something along these lines some time back. I remember having a frank conversation with a Hermes supervisor about the ridiculous nature this. What I can't remember is whether it's down to the individual courier, since they use their own transport, if they want to go down a private/unadopted/unmade road or Hermes' own policy. .

I was told that Hermes cannot deliver to unmade roads as their drivers are not insured in their own cars for these roads. But, after one of the companies I had bought from spent all day on the telephone moaning to Hermes I did eventually get the parcel after 44 days!! and it came in a car driven by a very nice lady. She said that the local courier absolutely refused to drive on unmade roads, but she was happy. So I cannot establish whether it is Hermes' policy or down to your individual courier.

Either way it is a joke that they can accept a parcel for delivery and if you happen to live in a certain road it won't come.
  • excel
    excel Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2013 at 7:43PM

• Poor experience with MyHermes so far. Booked a larger parcel, after taking to the booked shop was told without any sort of measurement/weighing that the parcel was too large. (It's within weight and measurements). and refused to take it. Email to customer services which happily says 24 hour response on the web page, well no surprise 24 hours later and no response.

So I wasted an hour driving to the shop in the freezing cold last night, have waited a day already, even with a reply tomorrow I won't be able to act on it until the evening. If I'd used another service it'd no doubt have been delivered by the time they manage to bother trying to resolve this.

Absent some miraculous response, I'm very unlikely to bother being messed around by them again.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    excel wrote: »
    I need to send 2 parcels of weight 1.5 and 2-3kg, dims approx 30x30x32cm abroad (Europe), the first inc. insurance cover for £180 and the second with cover less than £25.

Please can anyone update me on the cheapest reliable option?

Many thanks!

I went round some circles before realising that Royal Mail Parcels was the best for a parcel exactly like this. Drop of at Post Office. However, the price rises sharply if you want tracking.
  • koster
    koster Posts: 15 Forumite
    I've had very poor service from parcel2go https://www.parcel2go.com
    My customer requested a delivery prior to the weekend, so I booked a 'next day' on the parcel2go website using Citylink, which is more expensive than a standard service.

We stayed in all day Thursday to wait for the collection, but no one showed. So at 9pm I got onto Parcel2go website and communicated with the representative. All she could offer me was to re book the service for collection on Friday (delivery Monday)...

I said that doesn't help me, it needs to be delivered same day - Then I noticed Parcel2go offer a 'same day' service - But they refused to upgrade it to same day - Unless I paid for the upgrade myself!

Nor would they even offer to compensate me financially for getting the 2nd class 'standard' service. In fact there was no offer of anything. Just apologies.

My view is to avoid using Parcel2go altogether.
  • koster wrote: »
    I've had very poor service from parcel2go https://www.parcel2go.com
    My customer requested a delivery prior to the weekend, so I booked a 'next day' on the parcel2go website using Citylink, which is more expensive than a standard service.

We stayed in all day Thursday to wait for the collection, but no one showed. So at 9pm I got onto Parcel2go website and communicated with the representative. All she could offer me was to re book the service for collection on Friday (delivery Monday)...

I said that doesn't help me, it needs to be delivered same day - Then I noticed Parcel2go offer a 'same day' service - But they refused to upgrade it to same day - Unless I paid for the upgrade myself!

Nor would they even offer to compensate me financially for getting the 2nd class 'standard' service. In fact there was no offer of anything. Just apologies.

My view is to avoid using Parcel2go altogether.

I am no fan of Parcel2Go at all, however it is the fault of CityLink for failing to collect. For future reference it may pay you to check where the nearest depot to you is so if they fail to collect and if it is urgent you could perhaps drop it off at the depot so at least your customer will be happy.

I think we are all to quick to blame the 3rd party company we book via, if we have received the labels etc you can presume that the order has been sent to the collection courier company and 9 times out of 10 it is the fault of the driver choosing not to collect. (thats my experience with City Link Chelmsford)
  • buglawton
    I now avoid all collect from home services, too many opportunities for excuses. Myhermes for instance has a really good network of drop off points. But I cannot find any discount parcel co for Europe parcels, that has has convenient drop off points. This is the next frontier!
  • buglawton
    Looks like one for the Post Office.
  • I think we are all to quick to blame the 3rd party company we book via...

Don't fully agree. They are actually the first party, the courier is the third party. I don't see that these companies can take their share of the profit when everything works but shrug off responsibility if things don't work - Certainly wish I could work like that.

As the people I'm dealing with and have the business relationship with it's down to them to have good procedures and good customer service to deal with problems with the third party courier if they occur.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback