Cost of Dental Treatment

funkey_monkey
funkey_monkey Posts: 391 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 March 2017 at 8:21PM in N. Ireland
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the approximate cost of an amalgam filling with a private dentist?

I've been quoted almost £200 for this treatment which seems overly expensive. Although I appreciate that most dentists will charge much more than this for private treatment, I didn't expect it to be so much. It seems excessive to me - am I correct or out of touch?

Am I being overcharged here? This dentist is based in South Belfast. I was with them when they were NHS and remained with them when they went private.

I guess I'm slightly over a barrel here in that I need this work done.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    My private dentist charged me £75 to fill my very back molar tooth, as I had multiple fillings and an extraction done I think it was £350 as part of a plan they offered. £100 seems steep for a non-white filling.
  • nzxt
    nzxt Posts: 12 Forumite
    my private dentist charges my circa £50 for the silver fillings.
    Ask for a breakdown of the price, they may have added more work other just a filling, possibly a root canal?
  • What's wrong with an NHS dentist?
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    What's wrong with an NHS dentist?

I'm going to guess time to wait for an appointment.

I had to do similar to OP about 4 years ago. Broke a filling and needed a replacement ASAP. Wasn't registered in Belfast so started to call around the NHS places. Next available appointment I could get was in 8 months.

Having decided I couldn't wait that long, I tried a couple of private practices. One in Lisburn could take me the next day so I went with them. Cost of filling (and an exam)......£216.00. Was about the same everywhere else too for private.
  • It has changed now into requiring an implant - tooth has been extracted.

Looking at an outlay of £2k now :(
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Ouch....in all sorts of ways.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business