Going vat registered

Hi guys
If this isn't in the correct thread then hopefully admin can move.

So firstly I'm a self employed joiner working on new builds in n Ireland.
I'm currently looking at buying a new van and trying to find the best way to go about this to save me money when doing my tax return next year. I usually do my tax return myself with help from the internet and friends.

I have thought about registering for vat even though I am under the threshold, therefore being able to claim the vat back on the van amongst other thinks such as fuel.
The only concern I have is when I do private work, I will need to add vat to my prices possibly costing me jobs.
Has anyone experience getting away from vat registered status, incase my work clients would change in a few years. I have been told it can be difficult to get away.

In regards to tax on the van, can I only put through the van value each year as a capital gains allowance and work out the depreciation. Or is there another better way.

Hopefully this makes some sense :beer:

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Gerald1986 wrote: »
    I have been told it can be difficult to get away.

Not really, as long as your turnover is under the de-registration threshold it's a simple process, usually rubbed-stamped by HMRC automatically. The only issue is that you may have to repay any input VAT claimed on vehicles, equipment, stock etc that you own as at the deregistration date.

But, yes, you will potentially be more expensive for customers who aren't VAT registered, mostly domestic customers, but also maybe charities, small businesses, public sector customers, etc., but there again, most of you larger competitors will likewise be vat registered, so you'd only be more expensive against other smaller firms and "odd-job" type businesses, so it may be a different market anyway.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Gerald1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys

In regards to tax on the van, can I only put through the van value each year as a capital gains allowance and work out the depreciation. Or is there another better way.

I'm a self employed Joiner and have been vat registered for around 10yrs . I think many small vat registered businesses seem to lease their vans rather than buy because its more tax efficient.

I chose to buy one outright and claimed all of the invoice cost back in year one under the AIA (Annual Investment Allowance) scheme. But there are some vehicles that aren't included which IIRC are some of the crewcab trucks and I believe its down to the amount of weight they can carry and alos the number of seats which classes them as cars rather than commercial vehicles .....

Pennywise is the one who would be able to clarify for you..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure