The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Amazon Prime Member Fee? Charged £48...

Comments

• Same Thing happened to me. I have just checked my Credit card statement to find £49 taken out for
    AMAZON PRIME 080-0 496 108 LU. A quick google on this found this forum. I only ordered books for £2.75 each with delivery included so had no need for any special delivery service. I am not a frequent user of Amazon. I called customer services and they are refunding the amount.
    I did not even know what Amnazon Prime was until reading this forum and definately did not sign up for any free trial.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Yawn .
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    wray109 wrote: »
    Same Thing happened to me. I have just checked my Credit card statement to find £49 taken out for
    AMAZON PRIME 080-0 496 108 LU. A quick google on this found this forum. I only ordered books for £2.75 each with delivery included so had no need for any special delivery service. I am not a frequent user of Amazon. I called customer services and they are refunding the amount.
    I did not even know what Amnazon Prime was until reading this forum and definately did not sign up for any free trial.

did the item worth £2.75 come the next day?
    did it require a signature?
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's Groundhog Day in this thread....
    The man without a signature.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's Groundhog Day, every Day in this thread.
  • My experience of amazon prime gets even worse.

I saw a DOUBLE charge of £49 on my credit card, and upon querying it found that Amazon said £49 was for the year just past, and another £49 for the coming year ahead!!!

I have got one of the charges refunded after some bitter complaints but they refuse to refund the other charge. They tell me that amazon prime is an opt out service with automatic charging after that time.

The problem is the charges were not clear, and I do not have any e-mails from them warning that charges will be incurred. As a service that is meant to be free they have charged me £49 for using the service 5 times!!! It would have been cheaper just to pay the postage, or better still use PLAY.COM which has free postage and no big con trial services!

So, my next move. Phone the credit card company and do a charge back. How do I stand if I do that?

Thanks
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Datchet-Empire

When did the 1st payment leave your account - a year ago?

Prime is not a FREE service - you pay £49 a year - the t&cs say that is reoccurring - very clear in that.

If you posted 5 items, well that is why they will not give you back all your money.

Assume that you have not used Amazon since the 2nd £49 came out - so in that case will normally refund.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My experience of amazon prime gets even worse.

I saw a DOUBLE charge of £49 on my credit card, and upon querying it found that Amazon said £49 was for the year just past, and another £49 for the coming year ahead!!!

I have got one of the charges refunded after some bitter complaints but they refuse to refund the other charge. They tell me that amazon prime is an opt out service with automatic charging after that time.

The problem is the charges were not clear, and I do not have any e-mails from them warning that charges will be incurred. As a service that is meant to be free they have charged me £49 for using the service 5 times!!! It would have been cheaper just to pay the postage, or better still use PLAY.COM which has free postage and no big con trial services! so i assume you used those 5 occassions in your 1 month free trial period?

So, my next move. Phone the credit card company and do a charge back. How do I stand if I do that?

Thanks

• This isn't a scam, and the short sighted among you need to learn to read the T&C's.

The wife checked the bank this morning to find nearly £50 paid to amazon prime, she hit the roof thinking our 2yo daughter had been hitting random buttons and ordered something.

Anyway, I went on the Amazon site and it had full and clear instructions, as to how to cancel subscription and get your refund.

It was purely MY OWN FAULT, NOT AMAZONS.
    My fault that I either didn't read the sign up page properly, or forgot to cancel before the trial was up.

Granted it would be nice for them to have emailed me to confirm the commencement of the subscription, but it would also be nice to have someone wait on me hand and foot too.

Its Simple, suck it up buttercup. You make your own choices in life, if you choose to fly through life in ignorant bliss, then you're gonna crash head on into a lamp post, its a fact of life.

Amazon are a business, not a charity, this is not a scam, so get over yourself, and if you dont like the way they run things, then close your amazon accounts, get off you fat idle !!!!!! and walk to a high street shop instead!!!!

Regards
    A regular Amazon shopper.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,577
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Wow!

Here's that rare person who has the sense to check things out and realise that it was consumer error rather than Amazon ripping people off that resulted in the £49 charge. :T :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure