Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Comments

• eddy556
    eddy556 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I've got a quick question which could possibly added to the article:

Does section 75 apply to items bought on finance? An example would be buying a car and signing up to hire purhcase etc? Surely it will as its still a debtor-creditor-supplier relationship?

:confused:
  • I would like to know which are the Best banks for using the
    Visa Debit Card Chargeback system:money:
    As One Door Closes
    Another One Slams Shut in Your Face
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ben_Bryant wrote: »
    Where can I get a copy of the Visa debit card charge back rules from?My bank refuses to let me see them as they tell me that it is because it is a " confidential agreement between themselves and Visa Europe"I am currently trying a DSAR to obtain them.

The Visa rules are HERE, see Section 6, pages 69-85 for the specifics.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• I bought a piece of jewellery for my girlfriend for christmas it was over 100 pound unfortunately she didnt like it but when we took it back they refused to give us a refund and would only offer an exchange but there was nothing my girlfriend liked. That was 2 months ago and they have still not found a suitable replacement. i paid using my credit card would section 75 cover this or do I not have a leg to stand on just a useless credit note.:confused::confused:
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    rockyrobin wrote: »
    I bought a piece of jewellery for my girlfriend for christmas it was over 100 pound unfortunately she didnt like it but when we took it back they refused to give us a refund and would only offer an exchange but there was nothing my girlfriend liked. That was 2 months ago and they have still not found a suitable replacement. i paid using my credit card would section 75 cover this or do I not have a leg to stand on just a useless credit note.:confused::confused:

You have no rights at all for changing your mind, just the retailers goodwill, they did not even have to offer an exchange or credit note.

Can you not sell the credit note to someone else?

Section 75 does not cover this.

The credit note is not "useless" it is just that you cannot find something you like.

Check there is not an expiry date on the credit note!
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Sorry if this has been covered and I've missed it. I have got together a small group of people for a short tour overseas. They have each paid me deposits of £100 and I am about to pay the tour operator (a small foreign company based on the Continent) using my credit card. As I understand it, I will be covered under Section 75 (the tour cost per person is around 1000 euros/c. £950), but what is the position regarding the rest of my group? Are they covered as well under Section 75?
  • I'm trying to find out where I stand with making a S75 claim. I had an account with Capital 1 where I bought a JVC Camcorder at £500 from a company which is still in business. This was in Sept 2003.

Recently the camera stopped working. After a charge of the battery I attempted to use it but it wouldn't respond. Charge light says it's charged but no functions on the camera respond, I can't even eject the tape.

Having spoke to C1 they said I would have to write to their Customer Contact Response Dept to deal with any such S75 query as they wouldn't be able to help on the 'phone.

Would it still be classed as fit for purpose after 5 & 1/2 years? At the moment I have a small brick that I bought for £500.
  • Hi
    Can anyone help me re this.

I've got together a small group of friends for a short tour overseas. They have each paid me deposits of £100 and I am about to pay the tour operator (a small foreign company based on the Continent) using my credit card.

As I understand it, I will be covered under Section 75 (the tour cost per person is around 1000 euros/c. £950), but what is the position regarding the rest of my group? Are they covered as well under Section 75?
  • hiya, its probably not worth asking now as it was so long ago but il be pretty angry if i find out the bank should have helped me and didn't so id still complain anyway! lol

in October 2007 i ordered 2 tickets for a gig from ebay and paid with a visa electron card via paypal. The seller said they hadnt received them from ticketmaster yet, which i believed as the gig wasnt until march 2008 so i emailed every couple of weeks and he told me that hed send them as soon as he got them. However in january he stopped replying so i looked on ebay and ppl were now selling tickets from ticketmaster and had pics of the tickets so i contacted both ebay and paypal to try and get my money back. i think ebay gives u 45 days and paypal give u 90 days to complain however the seller had kept reassuring me until both deadline were past! I then phoned the Halifax and they told me there was nothing they cud do, and that if id ordered with a credit card i would have been covered.

i think the amount was £99.something pence so it was just short of the section 75 amount but cud i have tried chargeback? can i still complain as i was told there was nothing they could do?

the tickets were for my bfs bday n he was taking his brother to the gig, they were both gutted n i felt awful. i was too wary to buy more tickets from ebay

if anyone cud answer my questions id really appreciate it, thanks!
  • I have heard that if you pay for something with a debit card, and the transaction value takes you into an overdraft position on your current account, even if unauthorised, you have effectively entered into a credit agreement and, as such, you have a valid claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure