Credit rating up with Clearscore but down with Experian

Heya, wasn't sure if this is the right section for this post but wasn't sure where else it'd fit. As the title says, my credit score has gone up with Clearscore but down with Experian. Has anyone come across this before?

To add a bit of context, between being a student and hopping between temp jobs and unemployment, I was constantly in financial trouble around 2007-2012. Plenty of defaults and debt collector referrals but never as far as CCJs. Around three years ago I finally got a permanent job and set up a plan with Stepchange, which I finished about 6 months ago. Didn't even consider looking at my credit score until then, but I've been keeping an eye on it a bit more since then.

Obviously, when I finished my Stepchange plan, I didn't have any credit besides my mobile phone contract and as far as home goes the arrangement has always been I pay the rent and my wife pays the bills. I applied for a credit card earlier this year just to give my credit file a bit of activity. It was only an Aqua card, £250 limit, silly interest but I've cleared it every month so far and now they've offered me a £1250 limit . I'm going to clear it again on Friday when I get paid, but will avoid using it for a while after that, hopefully the fact I've been offered a higher credit limit will improve my score whether I use it or not?

I know it's going to take time to improve my credit rating, and I know different agencies use different scoring systems. I just didn't expect it to be this different! Right now, according to Experian, my credit rating is "very poor", but according to Clear Score, I'm "fair", exactly half way between "poor" and "good". I don't think there's anything Experian knows that Clear Score doesn't, is it even possible?

So yeah, I'd appreciate any advice people might have. Do I trust Experian or Clear Score, should I be concerned that two agencies looking at the same data are going different directions?!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The scores are largely fictional and have no bearing on how lenders view you. It's just a gimmick to keep you interested.

It's best to ignore one and disregard the other. Just focus on the accuracy of the data.

If you're looking to build a solid credit history, use your card and clear in full each month.
  • The scores are largely fictional and have no bearing on how lenders view you. It's just a gimmick to keep you interested.

It's best to ignore one and disregard the other. Just focus on the accuracy of the data.

If you're looking to build a solid credit history, use your card and clear in full each month.

I can see the gimmick side of it (I'm not paying for any checks), as far as I know the data is accurate, I've even seen stuff that I'd totally forgotten about.

Yeah, I did wonder about how lenders view too. Presumably they don't want anyone with too good a rating who's unlikely to pay a great deal of interest or late fees. Still, not gonna rule out what these different scores might mean, not particularly concerned just curious.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Lenders will have different requirements. Most will have no problem accepting those who don't pay fees or interest. The best offers will go to those with the most solid histories of repaying on time

None of them will view the scores though, as it doesn't tell them the story behind it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure