Debt collector doesn't allow me to setting debt

I would really appreciate any advice.
Back in 2012 I got myself in a lot of debt after my business didn't work out. In early 2013 I started paying off my debt through a debt management company. By then, two lenders defaulted my accounts.
Fast forward to 2017, I'm now in position to settle my debts. I've managed to get in touch with almost all lenders without any issues. There is however one debt collection company (the lender sold the debt) that has been giving me major headache for the past several weeks. Whenever I call them they say I haven't provided them with correct details and that they can't let me settle the account. I gave them all my detail as well as my business details and they still claim I didn't pass security questions. I also contacted the lender and they say I have to deal with the debt collection agency as they had sold the debt and they basically don't care.
Can anybody please advise what should I do? All I want to do is pay off my debt.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,345
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Put it in writing.

If you are looking for a settlement deal use this template

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Full-and-final-settlement-offers-(sole-name).aspx#

Debts that are sold change hands at 6-16% of the balance, so plenty of room for manoeuvre
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Things of this nature should always be done in writing.

Make sure you have agreement in writing before any money changes hands.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thank you both so much for your replies!
    The thing is this debt collector refuses to talk to me about my account as every time I call they claim I gave them wrong details and failed security questions. I don't know how on earth it's possible. I surely know my name, DoB, address and details of my previous business. They're also terribly rude. I'm worried that if I write to them they will refuse to respond to my request claiming again that my details don't match what they've got on their system.
    Funnily enough, this debt appears on my credit report and all my details there are correct.
    Any advice on my strange situation?
  • ergot2005
    ergot2005 Posts: 19
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Send them a letter with the template you where provided above. With the account number ect. For goof measure take a screen shot of the relivent inomation from credit file.
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Write to them with the data, do not phone as others have said. You will need everything in writing anyway.

Provide your account details and ask for the balance for settlement.

If they refuse and say you have not fully confirmed your identity, explain to them that if you are not the correct debtor then you will have to cancel your payment to them immediately and set it back zero until they prove to you that you are the correct payee.

They might be more willing to talk to you if they think they will have to provide a full credit agreement etc.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • 'Obstructiveness' to allow payment is the Financial Coduct Authority domain - just had a chat with the FOS and it seemed that was where it falls under.

Yes I agree writing only - nothing will wind you up more when the lender decides what your complaining about is something entirely different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure