Renting with Poor Credit Score

Hi,
I'm wondering if anybody can help me, I've rented privately in the past and then via an Estate Agent in September 2016. I'd never Credit Checked myself until the past month due to us having to move again this September (2017).
My Credit Scores are as follows:
Experian - 700
ClearScore - 360

I've never had any CCJ's or ever been Bankrupt, I had one occasion in 2012 where I had missed payments on a Bank Overdraft but this was due to a dispute in which I was refunded all money a year later when the Bank admitted it was them at fault.

I've checked my 'bad points' on my Score, it seems to be my Credit Card which is £500 and maxed out, which I am paying off via minimum payments and try to pay off extra when I can, it always flags up I've applied for Credit quite a few times in the past year but that obviously is including when I've moved house (bills etc) - so I'm extremely stressed at the moment of the thought I'm not going to find a house to rent, I'm worried nobody will allow us to Rent (I have a Husband with a 'fair/good' credit score and my Daughter).

I'm just wondering if anybody has been in this situation and can help? Or simple has knowledge in this subject.

Thank you.
(I am aware I may be over panicking but a friend told me I wouldn't be accepted via Estate Agents which is what has got me panicked).

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Hi,

I feel like i am repeating myself as i have had to repeat this 1000`s of times in the past.

IGNORE YOUR CREDIT SCORE !!

Its pretty much meaningless really, a number generated by a company wanting to sell you financial products.

Its credit history that counts, as long as you pay your bills on time, have no defaults or CCJ`s, bankruptcy`s, insolvencies etc etc

You are present on the electoral role, you have more or less done all you can, most landlords only do whats called a "landlord check" anyway, which just gives them access to public information on your file, although they can pay extra for a fuller version.

If landlords only rented to people with perfect credit, there would be a lot of empty houses around.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • mll90
    mll90 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thank you!
    Apologies for the repeated question, I usually don't get bothered by stuff like this, maybe I should not listen to people trying to scare me ����

But again, thank you for your reply!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport