What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 22/05

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,419
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What is with all the gin and cake? Can we all join in? :rotfl: Actually, just cake for me (extra cake as no gin!)

I cross posted with Ziggy this morning and also started a thread :o Hopefully the mods will remove it - anyway, here is the gist of my post:

Up before 6, after another less than spectacular night's sleep in the spare room, courtesy of OH's cold. Never mind, it is a nice morning and I had a couple of hours of blissful peace and quiet down here with the dog before he emerged with a crash and a snort :rotfl:

Today's plans:
    Showered in the ensuite in the spare room, noticed that the shower head needs descaling, so I have brought it down with me. Will find the descaling stuff shortly and do that :)
    Also noticed that the sealing strip thingy is coming away from the wall on one side of the shower cubicle :eek: so I must look into the best form of replacement for that!
    Must read the meters and enter the readings onto the energy company's web site. I recently signed up for a 2 year fixed rate deal, which is marginally more expensive than the plan I was on :( However, the likelihood of prices not increasing beyond this small addition pretty soon seemed too low to just leave it to chance! Done
    Need to start a shopping list - won't necessarily go today, but will start the list :)
    Pack and post some ebay items Done
    Visit sales unit and see what, if anything, is needed Done, just got returned stuff to put away now :(
    Make more progress on tax returns, as I now have all the information needed. It would be good to get this out of the way! I have done it! Finished both mine and OH's :j:j:j:j
    Check for surveys
    Check banks, one is looking a bit low, and I may need to transfer some savings to avoid going into overdraft. I need to look at what we are spending a lot more closely than I have been recently, as prices are rising and our pensions aren't.
    Check for surveys
    HM meals from stores
    A bit of housework, not sure which bit, just conscious of avoiding it building up into a horrible mess - I don't like housework, or have the energy to deal with horrible messes, so a little bit every day is key.
    See if anything needs doing in the garden
    Dog walks 1 done, 1 to go :)

Ziggy, hope you get good news about your OH's op soon :(
    Julie67, your daughter's wedding sounds lovely :)

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Afternoon all, I've got Monday headache and work is really slow again :(

The cash from my sofas is burning a hole in my purse and I've already bought hot chocolate and crisps today though I did bring in my YS sandwich.

Tonight I need to drop a Ziffit package that I didn't have a label for at the weekend. I am also meeting somebody to pick up an ebay rug.

I will cook the roast I didn't cook yesterday tonight instead.

I'll also have Dawn's share of the gin and bring my own cake :D
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Gin and cake here, please!

:bdaycake::beer:

Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 10,993
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Lol.....lots of stressed people wanting to join me in the shed to self-medicate with gin & cake. It's quite a big shed but reckon we'd all fit in if I moved some of mr f's stuff outside! Actually, the fresh air & gardening has helped me a bit. And I've done everything on my list except today's blog post, which I'm about to do now xx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • allydowd
    Forumite
    foxgloves wrote: »
    *Phoned mr f about a well-dodgy email received today purporting to be from Virgin Media & wanting my personal details. He confirmed what I already knew.....that he has always dealt with VM & they have never had my email address (it was an old one) or even know of my existence. I guess sufficient people fall for this stuff to make scammers feel it's worth it. Done.

If you wish to report the email to Virgin the details are here. (Link)
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    Forumite
    edited 22 May 2017 at 3:30PM
    WASHING POWDER ALTERNATIVES

For folk looking to make savings I know some of us use Soap Nuts instead of washing powder. (Link)

Something to consider in the Autumn. A free alternative to Soap Nuts:

"Collect a handfull of conkers. Remove the brown outer shells. Chop the innards up into really small pieces. Boil in a saucepan containing a couple of cups of water, for 5 or 10 minutes. Strain though a fine sieve. Discard the solids and allow the filtered liquid to cool.

The resulting liquid can now be used as a liquid detergent.

Like soapnuts, conkers contain saponin, a natural surfactant. Whilst not as strong as soapnuts, conkers are FREE (In season).

WARNING: Conker juice, like saponin, is mildly poisonous and should be treated as such." From
    barrymung

Or there's Eco Balls/Eco Eggs. (Link) In my opinion, the balls really work. And it works out at only 2-3p per load washed.
  • allydowd
    Forumite
    DawnW wrote: »
    Showered in the ensuite in the spare room, noticed that the shower head needs descaling, so I have brought it down with me. Will find the descaling stuff shortly and do that :)

If you can find it use an acid (limescale is soluable in acid ). Lemon juice or vinegar should do it.

Chemically spreaking, tomatoes or cranberry juice will also work, though a wee bit unusual. :rotfl:
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063
    Forumite
    allydowd wrote: »
    If you can find it use an acid (limescale is soluable in acid ). Lemon juice or vinegar should do it.

Chemically spreaking, tomatoes or cranberry juice will also work, though a wee bit unusual. :rotfl:

I 'acquire' high strength hydrochloric as my descaler of choice... :rotfl:

eta - ds has begged for KFC and even waved a 20% off voucher in my face.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,610
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Oooo I used to love a gin.......can't now bec of meds.......but bring on the cake.......love the stuff:D

Thank you for starting off the thread Ziggy
    Today I have felt like I have been drowning in paperwork, just as I get some completed, more suddenly appears:eek:
    Weather gorgeous here today so washing out (just about to get in)
    Usual cat cleaning done
    I've just dropped DD off at a sports session. Just went to Mr Ms to get cat litter and did a FVD. I got a reduced sandwich(19p) for DD to have with some chips later, some turkey pieces-3 packs down to 50p each and 5 sausage rolls for my mum for 50p:T
    Talking of which FVD sit on those hands......don't touch ur settee money, just think of the new one....will be worth it:j
    Pleased to say that MSE habits seem to be rubbing off on DD. For the past couple of weeks she has seen me logging every receipt. She has just been paid and is pretty good at saving (saving for a car at the minute) but wanted to know more about why I log the receipts and the breakdown I have at the end of the month.
    Just said I know what I have spent my money on, where I have an overspend, I still have treats money. DD is now keeping a budget book:money:
    I don't think she will ever really leave the MSE habit (all christmas presents bought in sales and wrapped!),my niece is just the same.used to put me to shame sometimes:o. When other kids wanted to spend birthday and Christmas monies, DD was more interested in stashing it until she came across something she really wanted. She is already sorting out her student finance and extra bursaries she can get-the bit I am having to complete on the other hand is proving to be an absolute mare:eek:.......pass the cake please:D:D
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Well done, HappyKitties, on the YS haul :T I missed it tonight on account of meeting someone in a car park to collect a rug (I felt like a drug dealer except it was outside her daughter's nursery :rotfl:) but I popped down for milk and managed to get a pack of chillies for 20p which I will split up and freeze.

I still have the headache so the roast went on hold again and I bought fish and chips. I did at least drop my package to the shop so more money on the way.

Did a couple of surveys today and annoyingly the screen froze after about 30 minutes of a really long one, that's half an hour of my life I won't get back (or the £3.70 payment) :mad:

The teens have split up, it's quite sad as I like DSGF a lot, but it's probably for the best as there are some things they are never going to agree on.

I'm going to have an early night and try to shake off this headache.

Night all!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure