storage heaters/electric central heating or gas?

Comments

• icstm
    icstm Posts: 43 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have been following this thread AND also looking at Kalirel heaters. I have just bought a 2 bed flat which is all electric.

My question would be this:

"Though any 2kW heater produces the same amount of heat energy, surely it depends what it heats?"

This is becuase, the reason I was thinking about getting something other than a £10 fan heater is a fan heater heats air, which is an insulator and thus is not good at heating other things.

So 2kW goes directly to heating air the that very moment that the heater is on (which is very effcient) then does not heat air once off

BUT

a Kalirel or EHC (electric heating system) type approach is a bit like a wet system, then heat another substance (which is effcient) which gets warm and that thing heats the air (less effecient) BUT, this material that they use STAYS WARM, so it keeps heating the air once the electricity is off.

What does this mean?
    (well I am not entirely sure, but I think...)

That same 2kW of energy that was on for say 30 mins, will heat air for say 1hr, with a lower heat energy transfer rate.

The question then arises is:

"Can you really run a fan heater slow enough to heat the air as slowly as one of these electric radiators does?"

Coz if you can then Cardew is right, if not, then though it is theoretically true that a fan heater is no worse might not stand true in reality.

I am placing my order for new heaters (As this place has crappy old storage jobs) in a next fews days, so this is no hypothetical debate, I need advice too!
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've got Economy 7 heating in my 1 bed flat and I've found it to be fine. Then again, I don't expect it to be heated to furnace levels all winter and the insulation is good enough that using the cooker will heat the main room adequately.

Any plug in radiator/fan heater etc that runs on non Econ7 electricity will be expensive to run.

I use no heating for 6-7 months of the year. For the other months I have it set on between 3 and 8 out of 10. I used the nightime boost about 3 times last year. It's cheaper to turn the storage level up than use boost.

On average, during the heated months, I use 20 night time units, versus 3 in the summer.
    I run the immersion heater on the Econ7 circuit only. I switched off the daytime boost.

6 months, 28 days per month, 17 units per day is about 2900 units. 2.5p per unit gives £70.

Storage heating just requires a bit of planning to use properly, along with realsitic expectations of heating. I think too many people heat their homes to riduculous levels. If it's winter then put some more clothes on. It's healthier too.
    Happy chappy
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    icstm wrote: »
    "Though any 2kW heater produces the same amount of heat energy, surely it depends what it heats?"

This is becuase, the reason I was thinking about getting something other than a £10 fan heater is a fan heater heats air, which is an insulator and thus is not good at heating other things.

So 2kW goes directly to heating air the that very moment that the heater is on (which is very effcient) then does not heat air once off

BUT

a Kalirel or EHC (electric heating system) type approach is a bit like a wet system, then heat another substance (which is effcient) which gets warm and that thing heats the air (less effecient) BUT, this material that they use STAYS WARM, so it keeps heating the air once the electricity is off.

What does this mean?

I am placing my order for new heaters (As this place has crappy old storage jobs) in a next fews days, so this is no hypothetical debate, I need advice too!

Most heat is transfered by convection rather than conduction. So you heat the air, which then swirls around and transfers the heat to solid objects. It also mixes with cold air so that all the air gradually becomes warmer.

I'd argue that heating the air is better, since bodies in the room can then pick the heat up from the air. If there was a large, solid heating element in the room then this will transfer heat to the air by natural convection (or forced if there is a fan), but it will also lose heat through the walls/floor.
    Happy chappy
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I have been following this thread AND also looking at Kalirel heaters. I have just bought a 2 bed flat which is all electric.

My question would be this:

BUT

What does this mean?

That same 2kW of energy that was on for say 30 mins, will heat air for say 1hr, with a lower heat energy transfer rate.

The question then arises is:

"Can you really run a fan heater slow enough to heat the air as slowly as one of these electric radiators does?"

Coz if you can then Cardew is right, if not, then though it is theoretically true that a fan heater is no worse might not stand true in reality.

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Without question all methods of electrical heating produce the same heat output(using whatever measurement of heat you chose) - and from your post I gather that is not in dispute?

Clearly the way that heat is delivered is the variable.

An oil filled radiator will heat up slowly but retain its heat longer.

A fan heater produces pretty instant heat, but obviously nothing when switched off.

A halogen heater radiates heat etc.

However the heat retention of systems like the Kalirel or oil filled radiators can be measured in 10s of minutes when the power is switched off and they still cost exactly the same to run, for a given heat output, as a fan heater or granny's 1 bar fire; and there is no more expensive way of heating available.

The bottom line is that in every case all of that heat is eventually absorbed by the walls, windows etc and is lost.

For all the disadvantages of storage heating at least the heat they produce is obtained for approx one third of the other electrical systems by using Economy 7(or E10) Even if you do have to 'top them up' at daytime rates you are still paying roughly the same as any other electrical system.

Also on E7 you can then heat up your water, use appliances at night etc at cheap electricity rates.

My objection to the advertising blurb of Kalirel and similar systems is they imply that they are somehow more efficient than other forms of electrical heating - they aint!!

IMO it is a no contest; if electricity is your only option, it has to be storage heating.

If you are set against storage heating, get £10 fan heaters and save the capital outlay of fancy systems.
  • icstm
    Thanks for the welcome!

Now I am a little confused...
    I was under the impression that E7 losses it heat by about 7pm, so you'll always need to top-up and seeing as I get home at 7-8pm, it is releasing its heat during the time I am not at home.

Wheras the other systems I turn on when I need them (ok at the lower peak rate, as normal tariffs are a bit lower)

Now as you rightly point out, radiators convect, things that glow red radiate and generally not many heaters conduct (apart from your pot on your electric hob).

But the oil based or semi stone based (ie non storage) are not better at turning electricity to heat energy, but are they better at heating the room?
  • Cardew
    Your point about old storage heater losing(leaking) their heat is certainly the most widely voiced criticism.

I understand that the more modern storage heaters are far better at retaining their heat and releasing it when required in the evening. I haven't used the latest ones myself - that is only what I have read.

All electrical systems heat the room equally. Y kWh of electricity will always produce X Btu of heat energy. You cannot destroy energy so it passes into the room.

Some heaters take longer to warm the room(the energy is heating the oil) but the effects last longer.( as the oil takes longer to cool)

Others heat the room quicker, but it cools quicker.
  • icstm
    so I am starting to buy into your logic (I too have an MEng and am a member of the IET).

So I guess the difference is in what some call dry heat (classic symptom of a hot wire style heater, vs normal heat from radiator (ie convectors) type devices.

Still it seems odd that more ppl do not make this statement. I am suprised that even Dimplex don't defend their designs more, even they say "not to be used to heat for long periods". Where in fact actually what you are saying is

it uses the same or less energy than a storage heater, but the SH uses cheap electricty.
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    That's all there is to it really. Storage heaters try to store the energy which is available off peak. The energy they lose during the day is heating the building anyway, though it will be flowing out from the building too. I think the key is good insulation. I think that E7 would be a bad proposition in a draughty and poorly insulated house.
    Now I am a little confused...
    I was under the impression that E7 losses it heat by about 7pm, so you'll always need to top-up and seeing as I get home at 7-8pm, it is releasing its heat during the time I am not at home.
    I used my top up 2 or 3 times last year, mainly because I didn't set the charge high enough. A decent storage system will still be warm at 8pm. I'd never experienced E7 heating before and I've grown quite fond of it.
    Happy chappy
  • icstm
    Ah, so there lies the problem...

My flat has single glazing and concrete walls (no breeze blocks for insulation), so I think the E7 leaves the flat before I get home.

As I cannot change the windows, then there is no much hope. Yes I think you are right storage heating in a well insulated flat might work well.

OK, so I think a non off-peak heating system is required given my needs (unless I got off-peak batteries which ran instant heaters!)

Now how sure are we that in reality a hot wire heater is as good as a "fancy" heater?

And are there differences between cheap and say Dimplex heaters?

For reference, something inside me says systems like Kalirel are better, but as they cost more and want to be convinced one way or the other!

Thanks again
    icstm
  • Cardew
    Ah, so there lies the problem...

My flat has single glazing and concrete walls (no breeze blocks for insulation), so I think the E7 leaves the flat before I get home.

As I cannot change the windows, then there is no much hope. Yes I think you are right storage heating in a well insulated flat might work well.

OK, so I think a non off-peak heating system is required given my needs (unless I got off-peak batteries which ran instant heaters!)

Now how sure are we that in reality a hot wire heater is as good as a "fancy" heater?

And are there differences between cheap and say Dimplex heaters?

For reference, something inside me says systems like Kalirel are better, but as they cost more and want to be convinced one way or the other!

Thanks again
    icstm

With respect I don't think that is the problem.

IMO
    The problem is that old storage heaters lose(leak) the heat during the day.
    The solution is to get new storage heaters that retain their heat and have it available in the evening.

Your subjective opinion that systems like Kalirel deliver their heat in a more effective manner may have some merit, although personally I doubt they will. At best that advantage will be marginal, and importantly they produce no more heat than any other electrical heater.

If you want a 'second opinion' why not contact the Energy Saving Trust?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure