PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

which mop (and bucket) to buy?

I am on the lookout for a good quality mop and bucket and was wondering if anybody on here can recommend me one? Past experiences with a sponge mop have been disastrous (!) so would be looking for a string or microfibre mop or something similar.

This Vileda mop has some good reviews, but am not sure whether it is worth £30. If anyone has one I'd be grateful for any feedback on it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vileda-Wring-Clean-Microfibre-Bucket/dp/B01HTTQ6A2/ref=zg_bs_405261031_1/261-8800475-1498146?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R1A0FK255CNH02QBXDP1

..or any other makes you can recommend?

The floors are vinyl, and get quite dirty (kitchen and hallway).

Comments

• Doody
    Doody Posts: 122 Forumite
    I rather like these, gets the floor clean without leaving it too wet. You do have to wash the cleaning pad. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8551159
    'Get Brexit done' is a lie[
    "Your deal won’t get Brexit done, Mr Johnson. It gets you to the start line, and then the real tough stuff begins"
    Betty Boothroyd
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    vileda turbo. The best I have ever had and I have used different mops and buckets over 50 years. I got mine straight from the vileda site and it was an immediate wow from me when I used it. Even the bucket is a brilliant design, not just the spinning foot pedal but the handle and the ease of pouring. I got the vileda microfibre mop and bucket set and it had a spare mophead in with it
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It looks like Vileda is a good make to go for. I was feeling a little guilty at spending in the region of £30 on a mop and bucket, but I must have spent at least that over the years on sponge mops which have just fallen apart or left the floor soaking wet!

Are the mop heads machine-washable, do you know?
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have a "traditional" Vileda string mop and bucket combo. Yes the mop heads go in the washing machine and wash up brilliantly. I've had it for nearly a year and as I have all wooden or laminate floors downstairs and latterly a somewhat incontinent at times elderly pooch it has had lots of use and I haven't had to replace the mophead and don't think I'll need to for ages yet.
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    edited 14 May 2017 at 8:19AM
    avogadro wrote: »
    It looks like Vileda is a good make to go for. I was feeling a little guilty at spending in the region of £30 on a mop and bucket, but I must have spent at least that over the years on sponge mops which have just fallen apart or left the floor soaking wet!

Are the mop heads machine-washable, do you know?

Yes they are machine washable.

I bought my vileda turbo for £23 in the Amazon Black Friday sale in November 2014, and as much as I like the spin function, don't think the mops function any better than other similar type microfibre mops that I have used.

You can sometimes find them for £15. At that price I'd definitely say they are worth it.

Tesco Direct have the Vileda Turbo for £22.79.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    I have tried every mop and steam cleaner over the years and I now clean my tiled floors with a stiff brush and a microfibre cloth. I found it to be the only way to avoid disappointment, apart from the cat walking muddy paw marks through just after I've done it!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Trying to avoid getting down on my hands and knees and scrubbing the floor if possible! :)
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I ditched the mop and bucket and bought an E-cloth deep clean mop, best thing I ever did. It works on my tiles and laminate and you then chuck the cloth part in the washer so it's hygienic too. The floor dries in no time which is a bonus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure