PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• SS great idea! We do have some pictures of that wall and I guess we will have to pass them around the family now. 🙂
    Our middle daughter came down to work here for a couple of days. When she walked in and saw the wall painted she was shocked. They will all moan about it but honestly they are all in their thirties and will have to get over its demise. I'm loving it because it looks so clean. And that's just with the primer.

Kondoed all the old thrice painted hinges (who does that...paint hinges :mad: ) and door knobs. The new ones look lovely but now the cabinet doors don't quite fit. So the will have to have one edge routered to get a good fit. Alot of money flying out the window. :shocked:
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    who does that...paint hinges :mad:

:o:o

:rotfl:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • vi's mum
    it usually works, they always need more money lol
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    VJsmum wrote: »
    :o:o

:rotfl:

:o:o:o:rotfl: I've got paint over mine as well,
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 October 2016 at 9:17PM
    Decorating talk is pertinent today. My dear friend has given me a wallpaper pasting table so now I HAVE TO start stripping the paper in the bathroom :rotfl:

I must admit I love an autumn project and I have managed to reschedule a few hours work next week to give me a clear 4 days, inc weekend, to get stuck in (one client is away on hols but still wants me to visit so I have chosen to go when suits me rather than the usual day, iyswim). Ooh, I got to pack their suitacases the KM way today, she was so impressed by how everything fitted in 2 small cases :D

I am really looking forward to decorating and I am certain that is because the house looks and feels so much better as the KM magic comes into its own :j
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I popped into a friends yesterday as she's moving house today and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help.....said friend has never been one for housework or organisation and although they've been planning this move for over 8 months the house was in a shocking state. I took one look and said "put the kettle on, I'm staying for the day". She sobbed with relief.

I'm naturally quite organised and methodical where as she's been flitting from one pile of stuff to the next just shifting it half an inch. Within an hour I'd emptied one spare room of dross and started stacking boxes that were piled up everywhere else which made it easier to see where we are at. Washing was all gathered from the four corner and 6 washing baskets from around the house (there's 3 adults in the house and 6 baskets?)....I got her shoving loads in that could be tumbled and allocated a bag for it all to go in when dry, stripped and remade the beds and allocated boxes and bags for the bedding to be packed in this morning, got curtains down, washed paintwork, scrubbed bathrooms and managed to find 8 black sacks of rubbish.

We then tackled the airing cupboard....19 sets of bedding - for 2 beds and 27 bath sheets.....hand towels and flannels were scoured through and good ones kept, the rest filled 2 more black sacks. I also managed to persuade her that the memories of the 35 year old leather jacket were far nicer than the crispy, unwearable thing she was left with.....lots of sobbing as that went in the bin but that was the turning point and boxes of greetings cards, old baby clothes (her youngest is 21), toys, ornaments.....all went. She admitted that she's packed so much already that she doesn't want in her new home but she hadn't had the strength to deal with it. I've promised to help unpack and help deal with it.

When I left the only room left to pack was the kitchen. I was emotionally wrung out when I got home and went into overdrive with tidying and cleaning (not that it needed it). It really overwhelmed me just helping her deal with it for a day so I can understand just how much effort it's going to take her to sort the rest.

At last count we took 18 black sacks to the tip along with various old appliances and 9 to charity. Considering there's been weekly trips to charity and the tip since she's been sorting, it really shocked her.

Today I shall be using the contents of my larder to make up sandwich fillings to feed the troops as they load/unload the lorry and be there to offer moral and physical support.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well done Pooky, a true friend :T
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Well done Pooky, a true friend :T

I totally agree:T

Morning all.

Plan on kondoing a bed this weekend if the game of furniture Tetris goes well.
    But this morning I want to finish painting the fence at the bottom of the garden

Hope everyone is as well as can be.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    I released (posted) some bits to the world via fleabay yesterday, and another bag of stuff to the CS ... where does it all come from? EVERYTIME I think that's it, a couple of days later I find more! and my cupboards never seem bare!!!
  • Gosh Pooky, I wonder what state she'd have been in if you hadn't turned up! I love moving house - not the actual relocating, spending money etc but the planning and preparation, I don't know why but something about it really appeals to me.

I recall helping a friend a few years ago - they'd paid for the removers to pack for them, and she seemed to take this as 'I don't need to do anything'. I turned up on moving day to find the cupboards and freezer still full of food, the (built-in) fridge was not emptied, but she'd managed to pack every single toy so her 5 and 6 year old were trailing around with nothing to do.

It was one of those moments when you realise that what goes on inside other people's heads is sometimes very different to your own thought processes! :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure