The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Our gas and electric meters are separate - they had to fit smart things in both areas, but we have one plug in thingy that shows the spends. What I didn't realise was that the automatic transmission might not work if we move supplier, and the whole point was that I hate having people in the house.

Oh, that's interesting redo - we'd most likely have to have 2 smart meters then. See, I'd prefer to have someone take a look at our set up, and show me the size of the meter and where it would need to be located etc. But 2 meters is a definite faff. And no, I'd not heard about the transmission issue either - that's just totally not on, if we're encouraged to switch regularly, you don't need the meters changing/resetting each time - well, not in location, anyway, if they can reset remotely well then, that's slightly different.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Our gas and electric meters are separate - they had to fit smart things in both areas, but we have one plug in thingy that shows the spends. What I didn't realise was that the automatic transmission might not work if we move supplier, and the whole point was that I hate having people in the house.
    Oh, that's interesting redo - we'd most likely have to have 2 smart meters then. See, I'd prefer to have someone take a look at our set up, and show me the size of the meter and where it would need to be located etc. But 2 meters is a definite faff. And no, I'd not heard about the transmission issue either - that's just totally not on, if we're encouraged to switch regularly, you don't need the meters changing/resetting each time - well, not in location, anyway, if they can reset remotely well then, that's slightly different.

Greying X
    Unfortunately there was no industry standard for the first generation of smart meters, but for anyone who doesn't like them this has an advantage as you can turn them back into a dumb meter by switching supplier.

If you want to keep a smart meter then you need to wait for the next generation (SMETS2) which will be suitable for all suppliers. Some of the current ones may be upgradable.

At the moment all they can do is show you what you are using and send meter readings back to your supplier. In the future they hope to be able to provide variable pricing at different times of day as hey do for business so you (or your smary appliances) can decide when to use energy based on cost.

Remember, it is a criminal offence (not to mention dangerous) to interfere with your electricity or gas meter. They belong to the energy companies, not you (actually to the network company not the supplier despite the suppliers rolling them out, which is why you don't get a new one with every switch). Clip on monitors are fine to change, but these are just displays, not the meters themselves.
  • greenbee wrote: »
    If you want to keep a smart meter then you need to wait for the next generation (SMETS2) which will be suitable for all suppliers. Some of the current ones may be upgradable.

Can I wait though, greenbee? It was my (current) energy supplier that contacted me to install one, I didn't approach them. I'm not against smart meters per se, but if waiting x months would mean I could be fitted with a SMETS2, then maybe I'd be prepared to do without one for that long? We've managed thus far......

I'd never fiddle with the gas nor electricity - we need a new consumer unit - quite happy to pay a qualified electrician to do that. No messing.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Very odd.
    Like you I am always wary of these things.
    To the point that I will not verify my details over the phone from people purporting to be from xyz unless I am 100% sure where they are actually from.
    They phone me & then want me to confirm my ID with them. Mmmmm.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greenbee
    Yes, you can wait. Just tell them none of the appointments work for you. My mum managed to put her last supplier off and she is now switching. There's plenty of discussion on the utilities board, so keep an eye out for when the new meters start rolling out.
  • greenbee wrote: »
    Yes, you can wait. Just tell them none of the appointments work for you. My mum managed to put her last supplier off and she is now switching. There's plenty of discussion on the utilities board, so keep an eye out for when the new meters start rolling out.

Thanks love, I'll aim to do that. Can't guarantee I'll make looking for the new generation meter roll-out a priority in my life, but the meters aren't a safety measure, so I'm content to not be a 'early-adopter' of this technology.

I do have some sympathy with the energy suppliers, I'm sure it was all rushed in as 'green wash' rather than a thoughtful and considered exercise. Don't get me started on the 'new generation' children's car seats that you are not supposed to sell on (OK, have a deal of respect for that position), but which you can't even take 'anywhere' for specific recycling - where perhaps you could be given a 'notional' sum back, say £10 for making sure that the best use could be made of all the textiles and plastic carp that you've paid north of £180 for........

Progress and technology. Wonderful and disasterous in equal measure at times.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Still here drooling over food :o :rotfl:

I haven't switched over to smart meters either, they've asked twice and I just said it wasn't a suitable time. I'm sure one day I will have no choice but until then they can leave me until last!
  • greenbee
    Just keep saying no until you decide you want to change. I don't get asked as I'm electricity only and no one seems to care.

As for car seats, you can't sell them on but there is a lot of swapping and handing on between people that know each other. I had several until the kids were big enough to stop growing out of them. They weren't used that much, so as long as I trusted who they came from I was happy to pay £10/£20 for a second had one to a friend.
  • I am on pre-pay meters for both Gas and Leccy and I have been told that I can't switch to smart meters yet anyway :(
    The ONLY good thing about Pre-Pay meters is that you know what you're paying...
    The bad thing is you're stuck on basic standard tariff, you can't shift from that regardless of supplier switching and if, like me your Sequestrated / Bankrupt you got no chance of changing that...
    I would like to save on my energy bills but because I'm skint, I can't, I have to pay more than everyone else... erm, yeah, that makes sense... NOT! :mad:
    Soz... wee mini-rant there :o
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hi Uncanny Scot~~Do you get the warm home discount from your energy supplier? If not, look into to it & see if you can apply. I think it is around £140 you get credited to your account :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure