Lloyds closed my account whilst overdrawn

So I've been in my planned overdraft for about a year now. Maxed out at £4,200 and the charges each month totalled it to -£4,361 and I got an email saying if I didn't get my balance up to the planned overdraft amount of £4200 then they would close the account on March 1st.
Logged into my account online on March 4th and all was still the same.
I was in no financial situation to top up the balance, I was silly to ignore their messages and now I've tried to log in it says I do not have a bank with lloyds.

What's going to happen next?
I've received no mail or messages, it's been 6 days now.

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I would imagine they have passed it to debt recovery agents. Does your salary go in there?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    They can, and do, pull your overdraught "at any time", as its repayable on demand.
    You will most likely be contacted by Lloyd's account collections first.

I would not wait around here, your priority is preferably a new basic account, for everyday use.

Get your salary, payments etc sorted.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • It'll likely now go to their collections department who will get in touch with you to arrange repayment. They'll issue you a Formal Demand letter which will ask for payment of the debt in full, whatever you do DON'T ignore this letter. Get in touch with them and arrange a repayment plan. It's unlikely they'll litigate against you given the size of the balance but you won't avoid having to repay it as if you don't they may instruct a DCA. If you co-operate from the get-go they'll happily talk with you and arrange a repayment plan. They'll start by issuing you an Income and Expenditure Form which you will have to complete, they have the right to challenge what you put if it doesn't add up so be completely truthful about your incomings and outgoings. Once they have this they'll arrange a repayment plan with you that fits what you can afford, they aren't allowed to put you in a more difficult financial position than you're already in so will work within the bounds of your means and affordability.

This won't go away but you can get out of it if you act straightaway and admit you owe the money. If you try and get out of it they can instruct collection agents to recover the money and P.I's to check up on your financial situation if you don't appear truthful or try to get out of paying.

It will all be fine, just make contact as soon as you receive their letter and work with them, they're all human and understand people in financial difficulty and will adhere to strict protocol for dealing with customers in financial difficulty.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    As someone said in your last thread

use http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php and format it for MSE

Then we can have a look at the whole picture.

They did suggest then that you get a new account for your income, an account not connected to Lloyds. Hopefully you have done that
  • Mr.Wrong
    Mr.Wrong Posts: 90 Forumite
    I have all my incoming and outgoings in my Halifax account, I'll call lloyds Monday :) thanks
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mr.Wrong wrote: »
    I have all my incoming and outgoings in my Halifax account, I'll call lloyds Monday :) thanks

Halifax Bank is definitely linked in some way to Lloyds. My loan was with Halifax but I now have to deal with and pay Lloyds recoveries.

If I was you, just to be safe, I would move all incomings to a new bank account with no links at all to Lloyds - just to avoid the possibility of them using right of offset.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mr.Wrong wrote: »

As others have said I would open a new account outside of Lloyds Banking Group, (which is namely Halifax, LLoyds, and Bank Of Scotland) as they may use the onset rule, and also good to have money in another account that has no link..

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing