car battery charger

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    I saw them myself in Lidl 2 days ago.

I leave mine on for months on end on my camper van over the winter.

I bought one about 10 days ago. I think you are lucky there were any left. Ours we all gone in about 4 days.

The Lidl one gets very good reviews.

Having said thatthey don't like batteries below 4.8v (?) and you have to get creative to get it to start charging. I connected car battery to flat (leisure) battery and charged the car battery for a couple of hours until the flat battery was recognised.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    This basically means the charger need contain no electro-mechanical switching devices (relays), which would cause voltage spikes.
    Smart on vehicle chargers likely use MOSFET outputs, which can be controlled in a precise manner to prevent voltage spikes.

I know for a fact, the Aldi charger uses a relay, you can hear it clicking on/off, it is therefore not something you'd use without disconnecting the battery from the car.

It's not just relays though; unsmoothed rectified AC will take out electronics as will switch-mode supplies if not properly smoothed. All in all its safest to disconnect the battery but I accept that can be inconvenient and cause issues with programmed accessories.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If the car has a good sun outlook buy a solar charger.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    It may be easier to use the car ?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    EdGasket wrote: »
    It's not just relays though; unsmoothed rectified AC will take out electronics as will switch-mode supplies if not properly smoothed. All in all its safest to disconnect the battery but I accept that can be inconvenient and cause issues with programmed accessories.

A car is one of the most hostile environments for electrical and electronic devices, there is constant electrical noise and transient voltage spikes from the ignition system and the charging system.

The biggest issue with charging on vehicle, is that if the charger voltage exceeds the alternator output voltage (usually 14.4v), the alternator tries to regulate that voltage down and in doing so may fry itself. Also and i'm speculating, the alternator isn't moving, therefore it's cooling fan is not doing anything.

A smart charger regulates the voltage and current, a switching charger (like relay controlled one from Aldi), outputs a constant high voltage, doesn't regulate, it just cuts off the output when the battery voltage reaches a certain level, this perfectly fine until it switches back on, at which point there will be a spike of it's maximum voltage (which could be anything up to 18 volts).

Best way to describe it, is like a tap, if you fully open that tap instantly, you get a burst of water and then it quickly slows to it's normal flow rate.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    missile wrote: »
    It may be easier to use the car ?

Thats what I thought, it gets used 2-3 times a week for 10-20 miles etc time, I just dont think that gives it a sufficient boost given the amount of things that draw current.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    ian103 wrote: »
    Thats what I thought, it gets used 2-3 times a week for 10-20 miles etc time, I just dont think that gives it a sufficient boost given the amount of things that draw current.

That's exactly the situation I had a few years ago with a daily commute of only 10 miles with more significant mileage only at the weekends.

In the Winter what with wipers, radio, heater fan, heated screens front and rear, heated seats plus heated steering wheel on, the battery was struggling to start the engine come Thursday morning.

That's why I bought the Lidl charger to leave on the car overnight on the Wednesday thereby having a full battery for Thursday morning run.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    That's exactly the situation I had a few years ago with a daily commute of only 10 miles with more significant mileage only at the weekends.

In the Winter what with wipers, radio, heater fan, heated screens front and rear, heated seats plus heated steering wheel on, the battery was struggling to start the engine come Thursday morning.

That's why I bought the Lidl charger to leave on the car overnight on the Wednesday thereby having a full battery for Thursday morning run.

The additional electrical load doesn't help, but the real winter battery killer is simply the cold. The alternator can easily handle all the electrical systems and still put the usual charging current into the battery.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The additional electrical load doesn't help, but the real winter battery killer is simply the cold. The alternator can easily handle all the electrical systems and still put the usual charging current into the battery.
    Very true. We've had a few noticeably colder days here, and my MX-5 (tiny battery) is really feeling it. When I leave for work (6 pm, approx. 10 degrees) it turns the engine over fine, but when I come home (6.30 am, approx. 3 degrees) it struggles a bit. And that's with a battery less than 2 years old.

There is also the point that with a low usage pattern the driving may not be putting back the current used by the starter, so even without lots of electrical loads the battery charge may be on a downward trend. I used to know a guy who kept his old car in the garage over winter and started it up once a week 'to make sure everything was OK'. He ran it no more than 30 seconds each time (bad idea for all sorts of other reasons) and was surprised that come Spring his battery was dead. "But I started it every week!" Yes, that's why.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker

Yes - but on a ten minute journey it has a hard time replacing all of the ampy/volty power-thingies that were used up to start the engine. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure