What is your 5k personal best?

Comments

• spikyone
    spikyone Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Not true any more .... my 5k PB is now 19:14.

Congratulations on the improvement, great time! :T

I'm still trying to go sub-20. My times stagnated badly over the winter, until I went for a mid-week run a couple of weeks back and unintentionally ran negative splits at a decent pace for just over 4 miles. I hadn't been getting close to my parkrun PB (running 21:30-22:00 with a PB of 21:09) at that point but decided that I could probably beat it, so I targeted a sub-21 pace at my next parkrun. I ended up running 20:36, and both my parkruns since then have been under 21:00.
    To go back to Malthusian's point earlier, and the OP, that sub-21 pace had my lungs burning afterwards! I read recently that 5k is difficult because you're running as close as you can to flat out, and I guess that's why my times had suffered - I got into a mental rut of "that's about my pace", without realising that I was no longer pushing particularly hard to get a 21:30.
    I now have a solid plan for running a sub-20 parkrun; when I'm able to run at 20:30 for a couple of weeks, I'm going to force myself to run with the 20 minute pacer and just hang on for as long as possible. I know that won't be an easy or comfortable pace - but it will be satisfying when I see 19:xx in my results text message. And of course, the faster you run, the less time you feel the pain!

FWIW, my first parkrun almost three years ago was a 26:03 and I've always been rubbish at sport. If you want to go faster, training works :)
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2017 at 11:07AM
    So I did my first Parkrun - took me 35 minutes*. A lot slower than I was a few years ago but I'm still pretty happy with it. I made it round in one peace and can start working my way back to where I was.

*Edit: I hadn't eaten anything beforehand which was a mistake. Must get up in time to have breakfast next time.
  • Great to hear everyone is looking to go faster and faster. I was watching the London Marathon yesterday and just had to go for a run. Did a 10k in just over 50 minutes. No where near my best of just under 49 minutes! What is everyone like over 10k and do you prefer the 10k to a 5k?
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    spikyone wrote: »
    I got into a mental rut of "that's about my pace", without realising that I was no longer pushing particularly hard to get a 21:30.

I was stuck like that for a bit. Then I ran with my mate a couple of weeks ago on a club run and was just talking to him .. when I got back home and looked at the data we did the last 5k in 19:44. (10 secs faster than my PB at the time) so i realised that I could go quicker. So ran on the sat after and did 19:26.
    Then ran a 10k the other week and ended up running the last 5k in under 19:26 so realsied by accident that pace was possible. So went out and ran the 19:14 on the Sat.
    I am fairly sure that I am capable of going faster as my heart rate wasn't above my threshold pace for more than about 30 secs.

What is everyone like over 10k and do you prefer the 10k to a 5k?

My current PB for 10k is 40:49 although that is on a mixed terrain course with over 500 feet of climbing. Hoping to go sub 40 in a couple of weeks on a road race that I am doing all being well.

I can't say that I really prefer either distance to be honest, I am not the best racer as I can't take the races seriously enough. For instance if someone goes past me I don't try and tag on with them I just let them go.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Great to hear everyone is looking to go faster and faster.
    Not sure I'll be able to go faster and faster! I'll be happy to maintain a level for a little while, and not fall off too much as I get older.
    I did a 19:40 parkrun last year when I was 58, but my best level 5k as part of a longer road run is 19:23. I cycle much more than run these days, so I can't see me improving on those times.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    About a week :-)
  • Mine is 26:26. I took a whole 38 seconds off this week! I'm training for a half marathon and I can really feel the long runs raising my fitness levels. Previous PB was earnt in the throes of training for a 10k. I like 10ks (all three that I've done!), but I think I may like HM distance more. We'll see!

My first parkrun 18 months ago was 35:27 and it was one of the hardest runs I've ever done - 5k on literally no training - I totally understand why people give up after just 1 run and I'm so glad I stuck it out.

I'm not particularly interested in faster and faster; I like to be outside (and alone!) and running is a great excuse. I find a huge motivation in having a race - any race - to train for.
  • *Edit: I hadn't eaten anything beforehand which was a mistake. Must get up in time to have breakfast next time.

I usually run before breakfast, I find it agrees with me better and tastes a million times better when I get home!
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    34:54 for 5k and 1:09.52 for 10k :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business