Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,143Posts
    • 12,294Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
Page 66
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 22nd Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 14,495 Thanks
    vulpix
    As what Murie said 0462.I have the dates in my diary.Just need to crack on and get some more stuff for DD2.

We are going to Liverpool tomorrow for DD2's 16th Birthday.I am going to the Tate gallery whilst t'others go to the beatles story.Not interested enough to go with them.There may be some retail opportunities in Liverpool 1 in the afternoon.

I was going to make a Lotus biscuit cheesecake for DD2's birthday today.Mr V got the biscuits for me on his way home from a job last night and left them on the kitchen table.Came down after DD had gone to school to find a note saying she had hidden the biscuits to save me from eating them! This is the 3rd packet btw.

First day of Autumn today,Christmas is on it's way.

Vx
    • alja
    • By alja 22nd Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 7,162 Thanks
    alja
    Does anyone know where I can get small Christmas bags of jelly sweets? Like the 10p haribo ones but Christmas themed?
    • mandco
    • By mandco 22nd Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 8,394 Thanks
    mandco
    Does anyone know where I can get small Christmas bags of jelly sweets? Like the 10p haribo ones but Christmas themed?
    Originally posted by alja
    they usually do haribo xmas mix bags 10/11 mini bags in a pack. haven't seen any yet this year but they usually appear once the main xmas stock goes out most places had them last year I got mine in poundland

re the wrapping parties I'm pretty flexible time wise in the evening so whatever suits

thanks for the suggestions re the calendar dd still says she's like it and even suggested having it as her main present without any prompting so I'll have to think about it a bit more.

very happy today as aquired a new to me electric fireplace very mse too as it was free . My sil has just brought a new very expensive one and was simply going throw the old one out so I volunteered to take it away.

The works have some good offers on
    ds wants some speed stacking cups they had a version for £2
    rubix style cube & various other similar toys again £2
    Decorate your own mug £2- taz can decorate for nanny
    for the amount of time they will actually get played with I'm happy with those prices and it bulks out the presents with minimal costs.

Sainsburys have some huge reductions on stationary stuff including some nice desk top weekly planners down to £1
    picked up a few bits for stockings and a couple of peppa pig colour wonder sets reduced to £1.80 for the xmas donations box.

Ocado sent me some money off vouchers so will do a few orders and put the savings towards xmas bits which will get my stash off to a good start. They had gingerbread hot chocolate so have that coming in today's order will let you know if its any good.

Tc all
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 22nd Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 16,365 Thanks
    nic2075
    Thank you 0462 for the dates. Sounds good. I hVe screen shot the dates, so will try my best to join in.

I had my first ever pumpkin spiced latte today, God it was so good. Can't believe ive been missing out. I usually go to Costa for a coffee as not many Starbucks near me. Needless to say I'm hooked. I felt very autumnal/xmassy drinking it.

I'm a bit behind with my Christmas presents. Thought I had plenty time until I realised I only have 3 more pay days!
    • alja
    • By alja 22nd Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 7,162 Thanks
    alja
    they usually do haribo xmas mix bags 10/11 mini bags in a pack. haven't seen any yet this year but they usually appear once the main xmas stock goes out most places had them last year I got mine in poundland
    Originally posted by mandco

That would be perfect! Thank you, I'll keep an eye out for those
    • mandco
    • By mandco 22nd Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 8,394 Thanks
    mandco
    well on first impressions I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the gingerbread hot chocolate though obviously I'll need to try it a few more times to decide fully . It has a quite subtle gingerbread taste its fairly chocolately but its definitely there minus the after heat you sometimes get with gingerbread.
    Oh also comes with a scoop in the tub too.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 23rd Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    creative gal
    I have been lurking on this thread for quite a long time, but have finally decided to contribute now we're getting closer to Christmas. Work has been manic this week, but on Thursday, all the stress of work melted away once I finished and popped into John Lewis on the way back to find most of their Christmas stock on the shelves. I was delighted.

I've not managed to buy any presents yet, but I will probably budget for presents using some of our savings.

I've got a Christmas pudding for this year in the cupboard from a reduced Debenhams hamper that I got at the beginning of the year (£30 down from £100). I almost gave myself a hernia lugging it back, but it was worth it!

The wrapping party sounds good, I shall try to participate.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 23rd Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 14,007 Thanks
    Peppapig
    MANDCO what brand is the Gingerbread hot choc? I'd like to give it a go. Is it a make with milk or a make with water?

CREATIVEGAL welcome back, glad you've delurked. Apologies if my memory is tricking me and its your first post here in which case just welcome

MURIE you exhibitionist

Three for two on Pandora charms until 1st October if anyone is planning on buying any. I've had a look but my Christmas pandora bracelet is already full and I tend not to wear the every day one so at the moment I've resisted.

Well despite selling off my big Georgian style dolls house and 'downsizing' I appear to have bought two 12th scale market stalls I'm going to do them as German Christmas market stalls so really they'll be Christmas decorations not dolls houses so that's ok Can't wait to get started but I'm in the middle of painting a full size Sweetie cart that DD1 wants to use for a PTA event in a couple of weeks so have to get on with that first.

Babysitting the GDSs from lunchtime today and staying overnight as DD1 and DSIL are going to see Micky Flanagan in London tonight and staying in a hotel. I'm exhausted just thinking about it
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • mandco
    • By mandco 23rd Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 8,394 Thanks
    mandco
    Peppa the gingerbread hot chocolate is this one https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Mokate-Gingerbread-Hot-Chocolate/364686011?from=search&tags=%7C20000&param=gingerbr ead+hot+chocolate&parentContainer=SEARCHgingerbrea d+hot
    it says you can make it with water but I used milk

enjoy the babysitting I have dgd tomorrow she's amazing but you forget just how much work they are when they are so little
    Last edited by mandco; Yesterday at 10:04 AM.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 23rd Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 34,472 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone, just popped on to say QVC has got its Christmas day on Monday (don't know how good it will be but the last one wasn't too bad they had some different stuff than the same old thing). I got my Buy 1 Get 2 free chocolate oranges for stockings and the chocolate stash, also got mint matchmakers for after dinner mints they were only £1 and have started buying the Pringles, I end up with loads as the kids love them. Hope everyone is having a great weekend x
    CURRENTLY READING THE DEBT AND THE DOORMAT -
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £115
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £470/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Flowfy
    • By Flowfy 23rd Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    Flowfy
    For those who are interested Lush and paperchase have their range out for Christmas.

https://uk.lush.com/products/christmas

https://www.paperchase.co.uk/christmas
    Last edited by Flowfy; Yesterday at 9:21 PM.
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 24th Sep 17, 7:48 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    creative gal
    PEPPAPIG- Thank you! Your memory is not deceiving you, I joined in with the Christmas prep fun last year.

I love this thread, I just often read in the early am before I go to work and when I'm not always compus mentus enough to respond.

Off out somewhere (hopefully Leamington Spa) today with my parents and husband, looking forward to that.

Does anyone know when the Christmas themed drinks are due to be sold in coffee shops such as Costa? My Mother in Law and I are planning an early (October-ish) Christmas shop in Birmingham, and would like to be able to treat ourselves to a festive drink. (Last year, we loved the salted caramel cappuccinos from Costa.)
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 24th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 14,495 Thanks
    vulpix
    I think someone has already mentioned having a Christmas drink,was it Cinnamon?I speed read through so don't reatain everything.Doh!

Just wondering how GYD was getting on? Has the house move happened?

Off to a car boot sale in a mo with m y son,first for him for 2 years.He buys books.Everyone else in the world is getting rid but its ok folks he buys em all!

Liverpool was fab.They certainly know how to dress for maximum attention there.Glad to see that the wearing rollers out seems to have passed as a fashion staple.

All I bought were some loose top socks for MIL,and some Beatles pin badges for DD2.

Enjoy this nice weather.

Vx
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 24th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 536 Posts
    • 8,247 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Hi Vulpix, still here reading away and wishing things would get a move on. The man I'm buying from wanted to move by the 29th and the solicitor is saying "I don't think it will be done by then", so in limbo and nearly giving up.
    On a plus front I received a letter yesterday from a magazine to say I won a competition and a cheque for £100. So that will top up winnings jar, we have it for little treats that we would never normally buy in a month of Sundays.
    So Christmas is on hold until we move x
    COMPETITION WINS 2017
    game/switch, 4 cycles, bbq, garden set, fridge/cooler, 2 micro scooters, 4 hampers, 2 pairs shoes, terrarium, 2 magazine subscriptions, bee, bug and butterfly houses, doll, sylvanian families sets, bluetooth speaker, sodastream, £100 magazine comp
    • Flowfy
    • By Flowfy 24th Sep 17, 8:55 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    Flowfy
    I think someone has already mentioned having a Christmas drink,was it Cinnamon?I speed read through so don't reatain everything.Doh!

Just wondering how GYD was getting on? Has the house move happened?

Off to a car boot sale in a mo with m y son,first for him for 2 years.He buys books.Everyone else in the world is getting rid but its ok folks he buys em all!

Liverpool was fab.They certainly know how to dress for maximum attention there.Glad to see that the wearing rollers out seems to have passed as a fashion staple.

All I bought were some loose top socks for MIL,and some Beatles pin badges for DD2.

Enjoy this nice weather.

Vx
    Originally posted by vulpix
    I think that was the pumpkin spice latte from starbucks they were on about. I think the Christmas ones (eggnog latte etc) come out about the middle of October. A couple of years ago they came out as late as 1st week of November for some reason.....because I was waiting!!!!!
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 24th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 12,593 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    nice weather? nice weather? l wish, but never mind the rain and cold gave me the perfect excuse to spend the whole day reading a book, and covering boxes to put all DGS' clutter in. (he will hate it!).
    No skype today, family are on their way home from a break in Beijing so cant skype.
    DS2 howled with laughter when l showed him the 'tutu' hoodie and said that as it was an Alice Cooper one the ruffles were fine. (l didn't follow his logic, but at least l don't have to re-do it.)
    As l only drink black coffee the seasonal ones don't affect me, so l have a piece of cake or a muffin instead, and don't feel deprived at all.
    GIYD don't give up on the move, it will happen xx
    Free, l also got the chocolate oranges, but DS1 took one, DGS took another, and the last one looks so lonely...........!
    The sloe bush at the back of my garden has not produced a single sloe this year, so unless l go foraging there'll be no sloe gin
    DS got her knee brace from the orthotist on Friday, but it needs some adjustments to make it comfortable, but at least it stops her knee giving way.
    right, l am off to break eggs with a stick, up and at 'em xx
    • PinkAngel8
    • By PinkAngel8 24th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    PinkAngel8
    good morning 😊 if anyone is after this, I managed to get them for £4.00 this morning in Wilko, they are huge! and great for teens with all the selfie scans etc - just realised I cant post links, its under Cadbury Christmas Heroes Advent-ure Chocolate on Amazon (£13.98) and under Cadbury advent search on Wilko site

they also have the retro Cadbury chocolate selection boxes in the old style wrappings for £4 and some of the tubes for 79p xx
    • PinkAngel8
    • By PinkAngel8 24th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    PinkAngel8
    Im just sipping the Starbucks Caramalised Pecan latte, wow they are nice!!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 24th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 14,007 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome PINKANGEL. Hopefully this is the Wilks link.

http://www.wilko.com/advent-calendars/cadbury-heroes-advent-calendar-232g/invt/0460789
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • PinkAngel8
    • By PinkAngel8 24th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    PinkAngel8
    that is the one, thank you Peppapig! they are huge, my teens will love them hopefully! xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,832Posts Today

7,182Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin